Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the VCM Muzzler II a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine until last Friday. I probably logged almost 800 miles with the truck fully loaded with no issues. Then I pulled my boat (2,000 lbs) about 14 miles and after crossing a bridge error codes started scrolling across the instrument panel. Click HERE to see the video.

When I returned home I let the truck cool and disconnected the battery to clear the codes. This morning I drove about 30 miles round trip and after crossing a bridge the error codes returned. I plan to unhook the battery again to clear the codes and remove the VCMuzzler II to see if this happens again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm using the blue resistor.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its rare from what i've read, but some vehicles simply have more sensitivity to using a VCMuzzler and even the smallest change will light up the christmas tree, I have never had an issue with the blue resistor but had the same problems you're having with the Red one after about that many miles.

Just a quick question: Whats the outside temperature your operating it in?

I know the guy is willing to refund people who have issues with them so i would contact him and return it for a full refund (minus shipping cost).

Sorry to hear it didnt work for you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was about 85F but the truck was under a heavy load pulling the boat over a bridge. I just wonder if the code is written to produce a fault if the sensor values don't make sense. For example, if the engine temp doesn't register what it should when the engine is revving at high RPM after driving several miles the system registers a fault. The codes this morning lit after crossing a bridge as well. I emailed him this AM. Will update after I receive a reply.

Its rare from what i've read, but some vehicles simply have more sensitivity to using a VCMuzzler and even the smallest change will light up the christmas tree, I have never had an issue with the blue resistor but had the same problems you're having with the Red one after about that many miles.

Just a quick question: Whats the outside temperature your operating it in?

I know the guy is willing to refund people who have issues with them so i would contact him and return it for a full refund (minus shipping cost).

Sorry to hear it didnt work for you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I towed a 18' Lund fishing boat fully loaded with my blue resistor for a while up and down hills without issue on about an hour trip in around 65F.

I would PM verbatim and let him know, he is good about helping people out it seems

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
If it were VCMuzzler related (and I don't think it is), the thing to do would be to install the red resistor. While towing, you probably raised the engine coolant temperature considerably and the blue resistor might not be able to keep the temperature below 167°. But you would've gotten OBDII error codes, which show up when you check codes with and OBDII reader. What you took a video of is very reminiscent of the problem that ErieRidge pointed you to.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
As I stated in the reply to your PM, this is usually an indicator of a connection that hasn't been made up fully or that a wire has pulled out of one of the terminals in the connector. A momentary open circuit in the ECT1 sensor circuit. That's what usually causes the temp gauge to spike out and the errors to show up on the dash like that. I advised to check all the connections to make sure they're made up properly and that there is no damage to the wiring of the VCMuzzler. I've heard of this happening only a couple times previously and every time it was attributed to some sort of bad connection. If it continues and you can't find the source of the problem, then for sure I'll provide a refund when it's returned. If there's any problem with the VCMuzzler, I'll repair that for free.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How to handle connectors...

Please DONOT pull on the wires.. Push/pull only on the plastic connector to avoid pulling the wires out.
?

With connectors... Easier to disconnect if you push first before pulling... You'll find that it's easier.

It gives you a bit of room to work the clasp/hook before pulling ...making it easier to disengaged. :wink:

location access pics:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2226345-post419.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This update is overdue, but I felt it was important to correct the record. It turns out that the error codes had nothing to do with the VCM Muzzler. It was just a coincidence. After completing the wiring harness recall I reinstalled the VCM Muzzler II and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I would go so far as to say the VCM Muzzler is the best modification I've made to the Ridgeline to date. If I couldn't have found a way to make the engine stop the hunting and pecking between 3 and 6 cylinders I probably would have sold the truck. Yes, I've lost about 1 MPG but now the engine runs like an engine should.

I would recommend checking this tread too, as your issues sound like they're more related to the C-601 harness having water damage, than the VCMuzzler. Especially since given the information about towing the boat, this sounds very suspect as to the cause.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...i-informational-display-warning-messages.html

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Hunting and pecking between 3 & 6 cylinders? Either my VCM is broke, or others have vehicles in which it operates improperly (rougher than intended?). After 1500 miles, with a fair amount at 60-65 mph with cruise set, I have never once noticed a change in noise nor vibration to indicate VCM is engaging.

Under what driving parameters do you notice it kicking in before installing the muzzler?

This update is overdue, but I felt it was important to correct the record. It turns out that the error codes had nothing to do with the VCM Muzzler. It was just a coincidence. After completing the wiring harness recall I reinstalled the VCM Muzzler II and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I would go so far as to say the VCM Muzzler is the best modification I've made to the Ridgeline to date. If I couldn't have found a way to make the engine stop the hunting and pecking between 3 and 6 cylinders I probably would have sold the truck. Yes, I've lost about 1 MPG but now the engine runs like an engine should.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hunting and pecking between 3 & 6 cylinders? Either my VCM is broke, or others have vehicles in which it operates improperly (rougher than intended?). After 1500 miles, with a fair amount at 60-65 mph with cruise set, I have never once noticed a change in noise nor vibration to indicate VCM is engaging.

Under what driving parameters do you notice it kicking in before installing the muzzler?
F6Hawk - I've wondered the same thing on all the VCM talk at ROC. Granted, I can tell sometimes when I go to 3 cylinders but it is barely perceptible. I tow as well (4,500 lbs usually) and it seems to have no ill effects (probably because it isn't cutting into VCM mode).

I had a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi with MDS (The FCA version of VCM) and it was totally in the background. I attributed that to a bigger displacement engine that had a lot of reserve power. It would go into MDS even towing the 4,500 lbs. RAM has an ECO indicator that tied to the MDS and even gives you the option to shut off this ECO light (PLUS you could kill the MDS by simply using the gear change buttons and setting the top gear to 8 - this would disable MDS > no Muzzler needed).

I've heard talk of shortened engine life that VCM might cause but I'm just not sure that I'd be that motivated to do a Muzzler (and reduce mpg). I'm not an ECO mode user either. I did a run from our cottage without ECO and got 24.8 mpg hand calculated. I did it with ECO and got 24.7 mpg. So no real benefit that I've seen even on highway type trips.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I also had the recall done and have not had anything light up since.. considering trying the other resistors again.

Thanks for update.

·
Registered
50 Posts
F6Hawk - I've wondered the same thing on all the VCM talk at ROC. Granted, I can tell sometimes when I go to 3 cylinders but it is barely perceptible. I tow as well (4,500 lbs usually) and it seems to have no ill effects (probably because it isn't cutting into VCM mode).

I had a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi with MDS (The FCA version of VCM) and it was totally in the background. I attributed that to a bigger displacement engine that had a lot of reserve power. It would go into MDS even towing the 4,500 lbs. RAM has an ECO indicator that tied to the MDS and even gives you the option to shut off this ECO light (PLUS you could kill the MDS by simply using the gear change buttons and setting the top gear to 8 - this would disable MDS > no Muzzler needed).

I've heard talk of shortened engine life that VCM might cause but I'm just not sure that I'd be that motivated to do a Muzzler (and reduce mpg). I'm not an ECO mode user either. I did a run from our cottage without ECO and got 24.8 mpg hand calculated. I did it with ECO and got 24.7 mpg. So no real benefit that I've seen even on highway type trips.
Same here, granted I am only about 4000 km in, I certainly can't feel the 3-6 and sometimes I think I can feel the 6 to 3 but if I did not know it should be doing it not sure I'd notice anything. Not as perceptible as a transmission up shift on most things I've owned.

Same here on the ECO mode- not sure how much impact it has. Drove about 400 Km last week back and forth to work plus a bit of errand running with no highway driving in ECO mode - got 11.2 L/100km indicated (Cdn model/method so lower number is better) and 11.4 l/100Km calculated. This week No ECO mode, pretty much same driving and I am right on 11.2 L/100 km indicated . I will see what actual is when I gas up. Weather has been cool here so AC benefit of Eco mode has was probably minimal. My driving style does not seem to benefit much from ECO mode. The wife on the other hand can't keep it under 12.2 L/100 km without ECO mode. She accelerates more agressively than I. Brakes harder too.

I have the CDN EXL model (middle of 3 trim levels). Not sure what it is closest to in the US models. That one hits the sweet spot for me, get the leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, 3 zone climate control, power sliding window and sunroof but no in bed audio, power inverter etc and the blind spot system is the mirror mounted camera.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Warning: thread drift here. There's no logic that I can figure on Canadian trim extras. Competing mid-size pickups in the US typically have a standard rear sliding window on all but basic trim levels, yet Honda only puts it on the 2 highest RL trims which cost over $40K! And then there are those ventilated seats that ONLY Canadian models get...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Same here, granted I am only about 4000 km in, I certainly can't feel the 3-6 and sometimes I think I can feel the 6 to 3 but if I did not know it should be doing it not sure I'd notice anything. Not as perceptible as a transmission up shift on most things I've owned.
I think some are hyping this up . Removing it every time you go to your dealer would be a hassle. I understand a consumer magazine is currently investigating it. It will be interesting to see their findings. Bottom line for me is that if it has no side effects, Honda would either OK its installation or include it on their vehicles.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Well, I don't think ECO mode in and of itself actually equates to much in fuel savings. Maybe due to longer A/C compressor off times. But pedal-wise, all it does is re-map the throttle inputs of you foot into a less-aggressive amount of fuel in the lower pedal ranges. So if one pushes the gas pedal farther in ECO mode to get a certain feeling, or response from the truck, then any small ECO benefit is lost. What I mean by that is... turn off ECO, push the pedal 25%, and you get X amount of power. Torn on ECO, push the pedal 50% to get the same X amount of power, and you simply bypassed throttle mapping with your foot.

In order for there to be any fuel economy going on, you have to drive very conservatively. ECO mode simply assists you in doing this by slowing throttle response.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I am not the only one who can't really tell a VCM change in the vehicle!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed it every day I drove the truck. Mostly in stop and go traffic. The truck feels weak, underpowered, and slow to respond to the throttle when firing on 3 cylinders. With the VCM installed it always has power.

Under what driving parameters do you notice it kicking in before installing the muzzler?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
711 Posts
This thread is bouncing off topic. ECO mode of yester years was tide in with the VCM, but today's ECON mode is not connected in anyway with the VCM feature on the G2 Ridgeline of today. Honda has improved the VCM system, when active it cycles the off cylinders on/off every 30 sec. and got rid of the 4 cylinder mode. They have done a very good job of improving the system, but I'm not willing to chance an engine cylinder re-ring in the future, be my luck not covered under warranty. Had two family members go thru that mess on there Accord V6's, not fun.

Personally I prefer all my cylinders active, that why I have the VCMuzzler. That way I know all cylinders are at same temp, both catalytic converters are at same temp, fragile motor mounts hopefully may last longer. My last truck lasted 14 years, hopefully this one will last even longer.

One thing I have noticed with the VCMuzzler, when coasting down a slight incline with the VCM active you coasted kind of free running with using braking to control the speed, with the VCM off, all cylinders active, there seems to be more engine braking, so less using of the brakes, I prefer that mode. I'll give up that 1 mpg to get an engine that just purrs.

I'm not actively pushing the VCMuzzler product, its just my peace of mind. If you are content with your factory VCM, more power to you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts