Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
The clear coat on the hood of my silver RTL is peeling off. :confused:
When I purchased the truck last year, it already had this problem. An approx. 6 inch spot of missing clear coat. Since then, it has been steadily getting bigger. I knew I would eventually need to get the hood repainted, but I sure would like to slow down the process, as I have no idea how much $$$ repainting costs.

The hood becomes discolored in spots before the clear coat peels, so I can see where it will come off next. It is pretty painful.

Anyone know of any product to halt or slow down this process? My truck is parked outside, with partial tree coverage during the day. I keep it washed with a wash/wax combo.

Ill try to get a picture of it, as well.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My guess is it is not able to be slowed...the discoloration may be where it disbonds from basecoat causing a milky look and the moisture penetrates etc. It may also be non oem paint repair. Shot in the dark but maybe a soft heatgun to heat or cure the paint to help? Try on discolored area

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea, interpon. Im just trying to delay the delamination, but I guess it is inevitable!
I don't feel comfortable treating this size spot by repairing it myself, with spray coat and sanding, like the other comment suggested with their condescending "google-it" response. The loss of clear coat is along an edge and is sizeable.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Unfortunately, I've dealt with the clear coat issue on my del Sol, a body shop and $1600 later the del Sol looks good as new, entirely repainted. To me with the del Sol started with the Hood & Trunk and then went everywhere. I wonder if an extra layer of clear coat now would save the remaining clear coat.

I'd ask K-Dog7469 his opinion on this. FWIW

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Unfortunately, I've dealt with the clear coat issue on my del Sol, a body shop and $1600 later the del Sol looks good as new, entirely repainted. To me with the del Sol started with the Hood & Trunk and then went everywhere. I wonder if an extra layer of clear coat now would save the remaining clear coat.

I'd ask K-Dog7469 his opinion on this. FWIW
at his point why not 2000 grit the area (remove loose) to the trim line and plow on some clear.. it cannot hurt even a rattle can good clear. check reviews of rattle cans, some in comments tried to do this with mixed results from not lasting to really rough and needing wet sanding to look decent..short term any mayba a fix..use good wax and greas remover and tooth the base and clear to remove a small amount..for best results.. really the only fix is to remove and re-do long term

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Not satisfied, I did the major clay about 4 months ago (like I do every year) and today washed and used Maguires detailer and am not satisfied with the out come. Every time I do a clay job (twice a year) the out come is GREAT after a wax job. After a good wash and a buff with Maguirars detailer, I dont like the out come. Seems like Id be better off useing a detailer wax after every other wash and do a clay bar once a year. Lower sides feel nice but hood and roof have that slight rough feel. I dont like waistin my time on a detail job and it not turnin out the way I thought it should.
And just a note on a question I axed about the diff between polish and wax, the way I took it was no diff..on that thread.
Well after being VERY carefull on the wax job with Nu Finish Polish I am startin to have the white marks on the black trim, I hate that.
Im goin back to my Turtle wax Ice, used it for years and never had a problemo. That said make sure you buy a wax that doesnt effect your trim unless you want way more work down the road or could careless of the out come. Nu Finish is not one of them its a polish and its cheap, now I know why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts