Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SmokyMtnRidger said:
What about posting it on your Owners Link account? If you don't have one it is easy to register at honda.com.
I've been posting my stuff there, dealer performed and self performed, but I didn't know if they'd require receipts for the oil and filters or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
I don't trust anyone in business, especially car dealers. So, I plan on taking it to the limit. When the service due notice comes on I will take a picture or video of the dash which should show mileage and the service required. I will also keep a log on the owners link and on my pc as well as keep the oil receipts in a folder. I will take a dated movie with my camcorder of my changing the oil, at least a few minutes of the process anyway - a couple minutes at the start and at the end. I will transfer the movie clips on to a dvd and keep the disc as a running documentary of my oil changes.

If something happens and they want to fight a claim, the courts are always impressed by someone going the extra mile. I can't go up against Honda but this gives me at least a fighting chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
shortspark said:
I don't trust anyone in business, especially car dealers. So, I plan on taking it to the limit. When the service due notice comes on I will take a picture or video of the dash which should show mileage and the service required. I will also keep a log on the owners link and on my pc as well as keep the oil receipts in a folder. I will take a dated movie with my camcorder of my changing the oil, at least a few minutes of the process anyway - a couple minutes at the start and at the end. I will transfer the movie clips on to a dvd and keep the disc as a running documentary of my oil changes.

If something happens and they want to fight a claim, the courts are always impressed by someone going the extra mile. I can't go up against Honda but this gives me at least a fighting chance.
Claiment: See Judge Hondi, I have this video of my dash.
Lawyer: How do we know thats YOUR dash? Lots of dashes look like that.
Claiment: Ok, here is an on line record.
Lawyer: Do you use a different password on every site you visit? Is it possible you have been hacked?
Claiment: Ok, I have these receipts
Lawyer: Do you own any other Cars or Hondas? That filter also fits a Izusu Model 6000.
Claiment: Here is some video of the Honda Dealer changing my oil.
Lawyer: Do you really have enough confidence in a Honda Dealer being able to do this correctly. Have you ever seen them do aftermarket Ridgeline mods?
Claiment: Please dismiss my case.

Sorry for my sarcasim, I love this stuff..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
Yea, I know there are a million things the lawyers can throw at me. In fact, I distrust them as much or more than car dealers! I don't ever think this will come to pass and if Honda really would fight me in court I would have to roll over as there is no way I could win against their team of lawyers. I would have to hire my own attorneys to even have a chance and the cost would be more than a new engine.

If they should give me grief over a claim I am hoping my "portfolio" of oil changes and movies will get a sympathetic ear in the "friendly" atmosphere of small claims. If it has to go beyond that where I need to travel to different venue courts and hire lawyers and stuff I'll just forget it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Any reasonable case will be considered. Companies have a repretation to hold, and will usually bend over backwards to work with you, afterall they want future sales, and don't want to get flamed on the Web.
Harley Davidson is very tough in this area as well. They demand dated receipts on oil changes, and receipts. They will even go to the extent of testing that you used their products, for Warrenty Engine claims. Personally I am solid with that requirement, because it still allows the user to perform their own work. Keep good records and you will be fine. I loved the extent of the record keeping you were mentioning, it really broke me up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
On pages 40 & 41 of the old and new Warranty Booklet under Maintenance this issue is covered pretty thoroughly.

In part it states:
"However, service at the dealer is not mandatory for continued warranty coverage. You can have scheduled maintenance done somewhere other than your Honda dealer, or you can do the maintenance yourself."
"A statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, showing the odometer mileage and date you did the work." "Receipts for the replacement parts (fluids,filters,etc.) should accompany this statement."

Curiously, in the Owners Manual on page 230 it states almost the same thing except it says other than Honda "Maintenance may be done by any qualified service facility or a person who is skilled in this type of automotive service."

In the Warranty Booklet is the only place where it states you can do the maintenance yourself.

The excellent idea of taking pictures along with the Warranty Booklet statement of doing maintenance yourself seems that we should not have warranty issuses regarding self maintenance.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
shortspark said:
Yea, I know there are a million things the lawyers can throw at me. In fact, I distrust them as much or more than car dealers! I don't ever think this will come to pass and if Honda really would fight me in court I would have to roll over as there is no way I could win against their team of lawyers. I would have to hire my own attorneys to even have a chance and the cost would be more than a new engine.

If they should give me grief over a claim I am hoping my "portfolio" of oil changes and movies will get a sympathetic ear in the "friendly" atmosphere of small claims. If it has to go beyond that where I need to travel to different venue courts and hire lawyers and stuff I'll just forget it.
Actually in many cases the courts will hold the "Deep pocket" corporations to a higher standard and go the extra mile to protect the rights of the reasonably prudent person. If you have a case that won't cost more than you may get in damages, then just do it. Please don't hate attorney's we have been trained to be bastards "at work". Any of you want a softey representing you in a divorce? or any other case?. those of you who hate attoneys have problably lost in court at some time.

Anyway, to the point, keep reasonable records.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
shortspark said:
I don't trust anyone in business, especially car dealers. So, I plan on taking it to the limit. When the service due notice comes on I will take a picture or video of the dash which should show mileage and the service required. I will also keep a log on the owners link and on my pc as well as keep the oil receipts in a folder. I will take a dated movie with my camcorder of my changing the oil, at least a few minutes of the process anyway - a couple minutes at the start and at the end. I will transfer the movie clips on to a dvd and keep the disc as a running documentary of my oil changes.

If something happens and they want to fight a claim, the courts are always impressed by someone going the extra mile. I can't go up against Honda but this gives me at least a fighting chance.
Shew, that made me tired just reading all that you are going to do. For all of that time and trouble I would just take it to the dealer and give them the $20 to do the oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
I am a retired federal law enforcement officer and for 26 years I dealt with both US Attorneys as well as the defense on almost a daily basis in presenting cases, testifying in GJ and court, trial prep, task forces, etc., etc. There are some very dedicated and honorable people in the profession and I respect and admire what they do. That does not mean I would trust them - as a general rule - I have seen them operate up close too many times. Sure, we lost a few we should not have but won many more times that many cases. In every single case I presented to the US or District Attorney, without exception, the defendent was guilty as hell. As far as me personally, except for my will, I have never had to hire an attorney - lucky me! Wow, I am way OT!!

Smoky, there is no way a dealer will touch my Ridgeline unless it is something I can't handle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
shortspark said:
I am a retired federal law enforcement officer and for 26 years I dealt with both US Attorneys as well as the defense on almost a daily basis in presenting cases, testifying in GJ and court, trial prep, task forces, etc., etc. There are some very dedicated and honorable people in the profession and I respect and admire what they do. That does not mean I would trust them - as a general rule - I have seen them operate up close too many times. Sure, we lost a few we should not have but won many more times that many cases. In every single case I presented to the US or District Attorney, without exception, the defendent was guilty as hell. As far as me personally, except for my will, I have never had to hire an attorney - lucky me! Wow, I am way OT!!

Smoky, there is no way a dealer will touch my Ridgeline unless it is something I can't handle.
Roger that. That probably works out best for all parties. That's the great thing about America - you have that option.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top