Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Any suggestions on how to properly haul long lumber (2x8x12). I'll be buying 30 pieces of lumber and need to know if the tailgate should be flat or up? Also, I assume that the weight of this is not problem? Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd lay it flat with tailgate down. Securing it so it doesn't slide around. And put a red flag on the end for other people to see and cover you if you have a state law requiring it. I think that laying it on top of the gate is just asking for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldnt assume the weight is not a problem since you're probably pushing 1000lbs and half of it is sticking outside the truck. If you have a hitch, rent a trailer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have hauled long pieces of material and one thing you need to think about is placing weight on the lumber in the bed to keep from it bouncing up while driving. You can use cement blocks as the weight material just under the back window. Measuring my 2018 bed to the end of tailgate is 7' and you will have 5' sticking out, plus the truck will be lower in the back from the weight.

MLogan
2018 RTL-T
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get some ratcheting tie down straps and use the anchors in the bed. Those come in handy when moving stuff so keep them in your trunk for future use. Put a red flag on the end (lumber store can supply that) and remember how long things are when you drive so you make good turns without hitting anyone else. You want a secure load that won't fall off and waste your money or injure others. I've heard truckers say you should be able to turn your car upside down and shake it and the load shouldn't fall off.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,148 Posts
If you are worried about it bouncing up at the front of the bed, just put a ratchet strap between the front bottom cleats.
I have a heavy duty roof rack so anything longer than 10 feet I will typically haul on the rack.
If you do haul the 12's in the bed, make sure to use a ratchet straps at both the front and back as well a ratchet strap like a lasso around the whole load on the part that overhangs so that individual boards won't be loose.
If you plan to do this regularly you might want to get a hitch mounted prop to help support the overhang.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use one ratchet strap to wrap the end that is hanging off of the bed at about the 9' mark. Ratchet it tight.

Use two ratchet straps to go back to the front of the bed on both sides. To be clear, attach these to the strap used to wrap the lumber.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Payload" is 1452 lbs which typically includes passengers. I don't know tailgate number.

The other factor is if lumber is pressure treated which adds significant weight.

This is a heavy load for the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
"Payload" is 1452 lbs which typically includes passengers. I don't know tailgate number.

The other factor is if lumber is pressure treated which adds significant weight.

This is a heavy load for the Ridgeline.

Correction: nobody really knows what the payload is, regardless of what it says on the door jamb. There was a huge thread on here in 2017 about incorrect payload stickers... many stickers were indicating less than they should have been, based on Honda’s PR info. The only way to know for sure is to weigh your truck and subtract that from the GVWR.

Regardless, several people have hauled in excess of 2000lbs in their bed, albeit for just a few miles, whereas Honda recommends not to exceed 1100lbs in the bed.

Edit: according to Google, wet PT wood can weigh up to 5.5lbs/ft for 2x8, so 66lbs per 12' board. Thirty of those could weigh just shy of 2000lbs.

Untreated would weigh around 3lbs/ft for yellow pine, which comes out to just under 1100lbs for 30 12' boards.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Correction: nobody really knows what the payload is, regardless of what it says on the door jamb. There was a huge thread on here in 2017 about incorrect payload stickers... many stickers were indicating less than they should have been, based on Honda’s PR info. The only way to know for sure is to weigh your truck and subtract that from the GVWR.

Regardless, several people have hauled in excess of 2000lbs in their bed, albeit for just a few miles, whereas Honda recommends not to exceed 1100lbs in the bed.
Correction: Vehicle Specifications | 2020 Honda Ridgeline | Honda Owners Site

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Yup, except, for example, they have the same payload ratings for 2017 and 2019 RTL, but the 2019 has the addition of moonroof and power rear slider. Things don't add up.

I think the sticker on my '19 RTL says 1473, which still doesn't quite add up, since the higher-equipped E is rated at 1499. As well, ratings stayed the same for 2020, regardless of a different transmission across the board.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i googled the approximate weight of one 2x6x12 pressure treated wood is and it is between 14-26 pounds. So i will calculate on the side of caution and figure the total weight of 30 pieces would be around 780 lbs. Based on the specs of payload for the G2 RL, it states 1,452 pounds (thanks smuook). My main concern was the overhang. Based on our local limits in Toronto, Ontario, any load that overhangs by 5 ft, then a red flag is required. I'm trying to save multiple trips, but i guess safety first. I should take two trips.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yup, except, for example, they have the same payload ratings for 2017 and 2019 RTL, but the 2019 has the addition of moonroof and power rear slider. Things don't add up.

I think the sticker on my '19 RTL says 1473, which still doesn't quite add up, since higher-equipped . As well, ratings stayed the same for 2020, regardless of a different transmission across the board.
Not sure how a moonroof or rear slider would affect payload capacity? Please explain.

I'm thinking it is more of the chassis, bed, and related components.

Whenever facing conflicting payload numbers, best bet is too use most restrictive. The actual number itself is less important than the issue at hand which is his load is heavy and the Ridgeline is limited. In this case, the proper way which is what OP asked would be either to use an appropriate trailer or take 2 loads.

Good luck with hauling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i googled the approximate weight of one 2x6x12 pressure treated wood is and it is between 14-26 pounds. So i will calculate on the side of caution and figure the total weight of 30 pieces would be around 780 lbs. Based on the specs of payload for the G2 RL, it states 1,452 pounds (thanks smuook). My main concern was the overhang. Based on our local limits in Toronto, Ontario, any load that overhangs by 5 ft, then a red flag is required. I'm trying to save multiple trips, but i guess safety first. I should take two trips.
Good on ya... do the math to be safe! Even if it is rough estimate.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
According to engineeringtoolbox, a 2x8x12 lumber is approx 32lbs each. Pressure treated is at 52lbs each. According to Home Depot Canada, a 2*8*12 Dimensional lumber is 31lbs (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/-2x8x12-spf-dimension-lumber/1000100170)

My recommendation is to get a trailer to haul the 30 pieces of lumber, Just purely for the length as that 6 feet of wood dangling behind my truck is weird. Though the bed, with the gate down will cover about half the length of the lumber.

Also, using the gate down, you can safely stack 6 pieces of lumber side by side between the wheel wells. And you need to stack 5 pieces on top, to haul your 30 pieces. There is no safe way to tie them up so the pieces dont move back under acceleration. Hauling them with the gate up, is just akward as they start to spring up and down and having a pinch on the corner of the tailgate is bad.

Thus, I recommend using a trailer to haul them, LIke a UHaul 6x12 utility trailer. An overkill for sure as the trailer itself is 1730lbs, but its just a safety thing at this point.

How much weight can the tail gate support?
The G1 supported, with the gate down, a static load of 300lbs I believe. I would expect something similar for the G2.

2WD, AWD and different trims, have varied payload numbers. similar to G1.
According to the 2020 model Press kit, the payload is at 1584lbs (trim related); same as the 2017 rating. Usually the AWD in the lowest trim form, would have the highest payload as it does not have much of the other trim's luxury features. For Example, the 2020 Sport AWD, does not have a sliding rear window and have a 1580lbs payload. While the RTL has 1549lbs and the RTL-E & BE are at 1499lbs. Pattern is similar to the G1's.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Not sure how a moonroof or rear slider would affect payload capacity? Please explain.

I'm thinking it is more of the chassis, bed, and related components.

Whenever facing conflicting payload numbers, best bet is too use most restrictive. The actual number itself is less important than the issue at hand which is his load is heavy and the Ridgeline is limited. In this case, the proper way which is what OP asked would be either to use an appropriate trailer or take 2 loads.

Good luck with hauling.

As @Farther pointed out, any accessories added to the truck will subtract from payload. This is why the well-equipped E and BE trims can haul less than the Sport model. The only way around this is to offer different spring rates for different trims, which Honda does not do.

The same holds true for all vehicles. Here is an example of the Ram Ecodiesel Rebel, which is rated to tow 9,750lbs, but has a payload less than the Ridgeline because it is loaded with accessories. I'm not sure you could safely tow the max weight and not exceed payload in this instance:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts