Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not seeing much on here in relation to Honda's own tonneau hard cover. Is there a reason why I'm not seeing many of them? I'm weighing my options but it is really hard to pick between these things.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Pro of Honda cover - Dealer can put it on and you get full truck warranty
Cons of Honda cover - leaks and expensive

I have a Extang Trifecta - Pro: Less expensive and is tri fold as well but doesn't leak Con: None that I've found.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the OEM one and I like it just fine. I took it on a 1700 mile road trip where it rained for a few hours. It does leak slightly at the front corners (think drops not rivers). If you pack with this in mind it's fine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have the OEM one and I like it just fine. I took it on a 1700 mile road trip where it rained for a few hours. It does leak slightly at the front corners (think drops not rivers). If you pack with this in mind it's fine.
I see 'Hoodbridge' is represented on here! ;-)

I'm still on the fence to what tonneau I'm gonna get... Peragon is #1 on my list, right now.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I see 'Hoodbridge' is represented on here! ;-)

I'm still on the fence to what tonneau I'm gonna get... Peragon is #1 on my list, right now.
I have been here in Idaho for the past month....have had more the 5 feet of new snow...what has surprised me is that there hasn't been any ice or freeze up on my cover....it has been great! I am really pleased with my purchase of this cover. Thanks to Heath and Peragon, they are a really good company. Needed so extra bumpers for it in the beginning and they sent them out quickly, without question.

I highly recommend Peragon covers for anyone who is in the market for one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ok, the only reasons I did not install oem..
1. Way too expensive.
2. Way too heavy. Unless you are a Hercules, you are not removing in by yourself.
All the covers leak a small amount.
I installed a BAK G2 folding cover.
Have been very happy with it. Even after extreme rain and washing car , very small amount of water in bed . By no means would I worry about amount of water in bed . Miniscule.
BTW I drive a 2010 RTL.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have been here in Idaho for the past month....have had more the 5 feet of new snow...what has surprised me is that there hasn't been any ice or freeze up on my cover....it has been great! I am really pleased with my purchase of this cover. Thanks to Heath and Peragon, they are a really good company. Needed so extra bumpers for it in the beginning and they sent them out quickly, without question.

I highly recommend Peragon covers for anyone who is in the market for one.
That equals everything I've heard from others w/ the Peragon, as well. Always good to hear other testimonials, too! The Peragon looks "custom" and is cheaper than the OEM... that's a Win-Win to me! :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
So the Peragon looks like a really nice cover it also looks like it takes up quite a bit of bed space when folded. That's why I went with the BAK G2. When folded it sit above the bed and you only lose about ten inches. Blocks rear window, but that's why we have L&R mirrors.😎
Also with roll up covers you lose even more of your bed space. My two cents.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So the Peragon looks like a really nice cover it also looks like it takes up quite a bit of bed space when folded. That's why I went with the BAK G2. When folded it sit above the bed and you only lose about ten inches. Blocks rear window, but that's why we have L&R mirrors.😎
Also with roll up covers you lose even more of your bed space. My two cents.

You can remove the panels on the Peragon in 30 seconds or less and it fits underneath the rear seat giving you the whole bed. I'm another extremely happy Peragon customer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Access Original. It was easy to install and looks good. It is in the garage when at home but I have had it out in rain, snow and slush and do not see any leaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For those thinking about the OEM cover, it has advantages over aftermarket.

-Installs easily
-Removes easily
-Trunk lid fully opens when folded back (no rails)
-When it is removed, there are no rails left behind. Only small metal brackets in each corner
-Very stout. It is a little heavy, but manageable
-Relatively inexpensive, paid less than $700
-OEM warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like there should be a cover that locks, allows the trunk to operate normally, and doesn't leak. The Peragon cover does look nice, but doesn't allow the trunk to open 100%. Still leaning in that direction because of the way it operates and looks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I added it to my comment above...the trunk opens fully when the OEM cover is folded back because there are no side rails. The OEM cover leaks some at the corners, but can be minimized with some camper shell foam tape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I greatly appreciate this discussion. I'm in the market for a Ridgeline and I was wanting a tri-fold cover with the original intention of getting the OEM. I'd appreciate any other opinions on the matter to help me make the best decision.

It's important to me that the cover be water resistant, though I don't expect it to be completely water proof; enough to keep my golf bag or other slightly water-sensitive items dry. I also want something that will be secure when the tailgate is closed and locked (which I think applies to most if not all tri-folds).

I've read several posts about aftermarket covers not allowing you to fully open the in-bed trunk even when the cover is folded back. Is this the case for most or all aftermarket covers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I greatly appreciate this discussion. I'm in the market for a Ridgeline and I was wanting a tri-fold cover with the original intention of getting the OEM. I'd appreciate any other opinions on the matter to help me make the best decision.

It's important to me that the cover be water resistant, though I don't expect it to be completely water proof; enough to keep my golf bag or other slightly water-sensitive items dry. I also want something that will be secure when the tailgate is closed and locked (which I think applies to most if not all tri-folds).

I've read several posts about aftermarket covers not allowing you to fully open the in-bed trunk even when the cover is folded back. Is this the case for most or all aftermarket covers?
Re the bold part... Just FYI but the Ridgeline tailgate doesn't lock. There is a lock kit available as an accessory from Honda however, but from the factory the tailgate doesn't have a lock. (The underbed trunk, however, does lock with the rest of the truck)

·
Registered
30 Posts

Re the bold part... Just FYI but the Ridgeline tailgate doesn't lock. There is a lock kit available as an accessory from Honda however, but from the factory the tailgate doesn't have a lock. (The underbed trunk, however, does lock with the rest of the truck)
Thank you for bringing that to my attention...looks like I'll be including that in my negotiations with the dealers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For those thinking about the OEM cover, it has advantages over aftermarket.

-Installs easily
-Removes easily
-Trunk lid fully opens when folded back (no rails)
-When it is removed, there are no rails left behind. Only small metal brackets in each corner
-Very stout. It is a little heavy, but manageable
-Relatively inexpensive, paid less than $700
-OEM warranty
What would you say are the disadvantages other than the small leak issue that has been mentioned before? Perhaps more to the point, what do some of the aftermarket covers have as an advantage that the OEM doesn't?

·
Registered
904 Posts
For one thing. I don't think any of them are are weather proof. They all leak. One deference the aftermarket ones have are that they are lighter. I you can take then off by yourself. The OEM ones are heavy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chief, I'm no tonneau cover expert, but it seems like many, if not most, opt for something other than the OEM cover. All the covers will leak some. There are ways to minimize the leaking covered in the following thread:
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/169-2g-accessories-performance-parts-modifications/216294-how-make-g2-bed-more-watertight.html

Many covers limit the opening of the trunk. Mine, a BAK Revolver roll up cover, limits it to where it pretty much bisects the lights in the bed when opened as far as it can. This is absolutely no problem other than limiting the light. I haven't seen any cover that limits opening so much as to be a deciding factor.

Forum member Phineas has experience with a few covers and provides some recommendations in the following thread:
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/169-2g-accessories-performance-parts-modifications/215788-tonneau-cover-summary-spreadsheet-options.html

Good luck in your search.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts