Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in the Ridgeline and think it would be a great replacement for my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. But...I am definately thinking about waiting a year to see how the market accepts it (would impact resale) and to make sure their are no vehicle trouble spots that show up (though I trust Honda has put this rig through its paces). Is anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hear ya. As much as I hate waiting, I'm planning on either a late '05 or early '06 purchase. I figure right out of the gate, they might sell at a premium so it may take a while for them to get to haggle stage. Besides, I like to give them time (as you mentioned) to get the bugs out. The downside to waiting for me is that I might like the look of the downpayment in the bank better than at the dealership and end up not purchasing at all. In the meantime I've compared the Nissan Frontier and Dodge Dakota and featurewise, the Ridgeline gives more value for the same price (base RT). Even if I configure those two vehicles the way I would want them, I still come out close or just over the msrp of the RT. In other posts, I've said I want the RTS but I'm weighing whether the luxury difference for me--the auto, dual zone climate control is worth the price difference. The NAV (I know, only available on the RTL) would be a cool gadget but I'm a guy and I don't stop to ask for directions so why would I need an NAV? To me it's like a compass--the only time I use one is when I'm scubadiving.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
Seems like any new model from any new manufacturer has some "bugs" to work out in the early months. That being said, Honda has been pretty good about working with owners to resolve most issues. It's a tough call because I get my mind set on waiting on a new model to be out for a while, then I see one, test drive it and the drool starts...temptation kicks in a whammo! I've got more keys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I for one, HAVE to have the dual zone climate control. I don't know if your women are like mine but all I know is she's always cold!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I disagree on the 1st year models. I have a 1st year Odyssey and have never had a bit of problem. Plus every year they add new things so you will never have a year without something new. You could wait forever. Buy it (if its a honda) when you want it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Shortbus said:
I for one, HAVE to have the dual zone climate control. I don't know if your women are like mine but all I know is she's always cold!
I know! I know! When my wife and daughter are in the same vehicle as I am, I'm about ready to melt. That's why it's the single most "important" feature to me. Decisions, decisions! I'm going to invent dual zone sound so that when I'm driving, I can hear silence and just have to nod my head. :D

·
ROC Dealer Sponsor
8 Posts
I know I may be a bit biased, because I do sell Honda's, but I am an Element owner, and soon to be Ridgline owner. I have been excited about this truck for a few years now. Honda doesnt put something on the market until it is the best. As with anything new, it may have a few bugs, but I dont forsee any major issues. I knew before the Element came out that I would love it and I feel the same way about the Ridgeline! Its going to be one bad *** truck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, while the Ridgeline looks intriguing, the $27K starting price is daunting and I think it's really going to hurt them.

I'm hoping we'll get a 2WD version soon (year or two) to bring that price down about $3K or so. I have no need or use for 4WD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
to me I dont think honda will make a 2wd version of the ridgeline.

·
Registered
996 Posts
With a truck this ugly, they should be discounting it off MSRP out of the gate. I won't pay MSRP for this truck. Don't be too anxious people. Let them sit on the lot for awhile. It's always strange to me that people rush to pay MSRP + Markup. I like the way the Element looked, but the Ridgeline is butt ugly. I'll consider one if the price is right, and I don't hear about scary problems with the early ones. When The Elements hit, there was a brief sucking sound as they left the lot. Sales have slowed on the Element, and the Ridgeline won't be far behind. They deal on the Elements, they'll deal on the Ridgeline. I'm intrigued by the design, but there are pretty Tacomas just across the street, and they're dealing with initial offers at 500 over invoice about 2,000 below MSRP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This very question had been on my mind with the Ridgeline about the hit the showrooms. My Odyssey, which I would probably trade on the Ridgeline only has 147K miles and it is paid for. Then, I think I might trade my Crown Vic and be two Honda house again, but I love my CV LX Sport ... so I might be waiting a while,paying off the CV, then trading the Ody on a Ridgeline. :D

The pro is that I am hoping that the IMA system migrates to the Ridgeline in the coming year. And, if not, the HP is sure to increase incrementally over time. The con is waiting ... and holding off the fever after that first test drive. :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can only relate to the first year problems that were abundent on the Acura TL in 04, all have been address in the 05 refresh, but unless u knew about the problems no one would have noticed the refresh: From the new seats, new headliner that didn't sag after use of moonroof, increased foam in seats to stop butt-prints, rattle control for read deck sub, and many more. They were all little things but added up if u were unluck to get them all as my Buddy had on his. he still loves his car, but the 05 had less of the problems his 04 had.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have bought three hondas in the first model year, and never had any troubles, also never paid over MSRP. I might get a slightly better deal if I wait a year, but I will be enjoying mine while others wait. And I need it now anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts