Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know Honda has their stuff together but let's be honest...they aren't perfect. If they were we'd have better MPG or HP/Torque. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ridge but I would also LOVE to make it better & I'm pretty sure I am not the only one.

Are their any proven mods for power or mileage?
What kind of improvement did you see?
If its a power mod, did you dyno it or just a gut feeling?
Finally, were they worth it or not to you?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
SeveraL RL scams on the market. None proven to be of any advantage.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Okay, I know Honda has their stuff together but let's be honest...they aren't perfect. If they were we'd have better MPG or HP/Torque. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ridge but I would also LOVE to make it better & I'm pretty sure I am not the only one.

Are their any proven mods for power or mileage?
What kind of improvement did you see?
If its a power mod, did you dyno it or just a gut feeling?
Finally, were they worth it or not to you?
No
N/A
N/A
N/A

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,494 Posts
Overall, keep your truck in a well maintained condition with correct fluid levels and types. Don't know the miles you have on your truck but consider having your valve clearances checked if you are getting up there in miles or want to be sure to get every last bit of performance out of the engine. Also consider replacing 02 sensors at 100k. Proper alignment and low rolling resistance tires can help with mileage. . .

Performance:
Slight Boost from higher octane gas

Mileage:
Slight boost from higher octane gas
Decent boost from non ethanol gas

Forget:
aftermarket "performance" air filters and or cold air intakes
any "chip" that is currently offered is pretty much a scam.

Where does the ridge really need more performance? Around town performance is decent with good "offtheline" response and in general OK response from throttle application. On the highway, hill climbing, passing performance feels sluggish unless you really mash the throttle. Truck basically feels heavy and reluctant until you really get on it. IMHO any worthwhile performance improvement would address this behavior. Even if the aftermarket air filters / intakes /currently available exhaust systems make some power, it will be in the uppermost rev ranges that are almost never utilized in typical driving scenarios (and certainly if you are driving to try and improve your gas mileage) Loss of low RPM power is also possible with the available intake / exhaust mods. Increased noise in the cabin is a given . . .

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you "really" want to boost performance, you could investigate one-off turbo charger. I think maybe the Russians might have done this in some past thread??? You'd probably kill any emissions testing you'd need to pass, but I imagine you could squeeze some good power out with a blower of some sort (turbo or super). If you are THAT ambitious, be sure to let us know how that goes.
Keep in mind that more power from the engine will risk the rest of the drive train, which was not designed for the increased load.

EDIT: I guess it's been done by some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZq-hw3mMlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MTwbY6ps8

EDIT2: Here's the Russians:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29917

1 - 5 of 5 Posts