Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my ridgeline has 150 k on it. about a year ago I nuts to curb driving it 35 miles an hour and ever since then my truck has had a noticible pull to the left in the wheel. I've had two honda shops align in, brand new tires. The alignment comes back in spec but this pull is still present. the tech tried telling me that it was my tires however it feels exactly the same as it did from the old tires to the new tires so I don't believe that statement. (He even rotated them and it still pulls the same direction). what process of elimination do I need to search down this problem?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Since you already rotated the tires, with no change, that eliminates them.

And the alignment shop (or shops??) say it's in spec. Can you post a scan of the printout showing the angles?

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
so my ridgeline has 150 k on it. about a year ago I nuts to curb driving it 35 miles an hour and ever since then my truck has had a noticible pull to the left in the wheel. I've had two honda shops align in, brand new tires. The alignment comes back in spec but this pull is still present. the tech tried telling me that it was my tires however it feels exactly the same as it did from the old tires to the new tires so I don't believe that statement. (He even rotated them and it still pulls the same direction). what process of elimination do I need to search down this problem?
Sounds like something is bent. You probably will not be able to tell on your own observations. Hitting a curb at 35 can be pretty serious

If it were me, I'd find a tire shop where all they do is tires and with a crusty old dude that does alignments and tell him your story. Be prepared to pay him the equivalent of an alignment. He should check the following

truck frame and suspension mount points
wheel(s)
Lower control arms
struts
steering control arms
sway bars & end links

Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have noticed on some older vehicles that if the bearing on top of the front struts gets notchy or dried out so that it does not rotate back to its straight ahead position, that is to say it sticks an 8th turn before getting back to center, the suspension springs will load a bit of spring tension to one side or the other. the truck would have good specs sitting on the rack, but you'd feel that tension as pulling to one side or another. when I did have a car that did it, if it was pulling to the right, at a stop I could turn the wheel a turn or two to the left and then back to center to reorient that bearing and it would go away or sometimes start pulling in the other direction. replaceing those bearings fixed in in my old Taurus.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Defective rack? It may have damaged the worm gear or control valve on impact.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The toe on all four looks very good & consistent.

The front camber is within specs (green background), but one side is bigger than the other. I would ask that they even that up.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I would take it to a body shop and have them put it on their frame machine for checking.

Chip H.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have seen a failing front wheel bearing cause drag while in the vehicle is motion, giving the operator the sensation of a faulty alignment. With a 150K, it is a good possibility.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have seen a failing front wheel bearing cause drag while in the vehicle is motion, giving the operator the sensation of a faulty alignment. With a 150K, it is a good possibility.
That's a good point... I wonder if there's any possibility of similar effect if brake caliper were 'sticky', or other left side brake malady.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,778 Posts
Two good points here. One of those laser thermometers could help spot check for a sticking caliper. I don't know if a failing wheel bearing will generate much heat or not. The very few I've encountered have signaled the issue with noise.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I've been getting squeal for some time now, sounds like the right front. It does not start until just before the truck totally stops. Plenty of pad there and no unusual scoring on the disk. Likely not enough 'silencer' on the back of the pad, or maybe the guides are sticking a bit.
I checked my brakes with the laser gun some time ago (pre-squeak days). I should do it again and see if there is any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts