Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had about 1/2" of snow this morning on top of cold ground, which meant the roads were quite slippery. While out driving in the hills, I came across a guy in a medium sized Dodge SUV (I think it was a Durango, but not sure) who had slid while attempting a right turn at a crossroads, and instead had gone at about a 20 degree angle into a ditch head first. He was pointed downward at about 30 - 40 degrees, with his front wheels hopelessly buried in a hole, and his rear wheels almost on the pavement. He also did not have 4WD. Fortunately he did have a tow strap, so I backed my RL up to near the back of his vehicle and he attached the strap. I kept the AWD in "normal" but turned on "Stuck Vehicle" mode, which supposedly locks the rear axle. Although the RL slipped a fair amount, as I was on the exact surface he had slid on, I was able to pull him out. Given the weight of his vehicle, the situation he was in, and the slipperiness of the road surface, I am quite impressed with the capabilities of the RL's AWD system. I don't think this would have been possible with traditional 4WD, as I would have ended up with two wheels spinning, one front, one rear (or 1 front and 2 rear in my old GMC which had "automatic locking differential"), and we would have gotten nowhere. Anyways, it's always nice to be able to help someone else out, and now I have 2 tow straps stored in the truck. :smile:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
That's why I love this forum - a little education goes a long way. I had forgotten about that mode. Out of sight - never used - totally out of mind. Maybe now I'll remember.....

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We had about 1/2" of snow this morning on top of cold ground, which meant the roads were quite slippery. While out driving in the hills, I came across a guy in a medium sized Dodge SUV (I think it was a Durango, but not sure) who had slid while attempting a right turn at a crossroads, and instead had gone at about a 20 degree angle into a ditch head first. He was pointed downward at about 30 - 40 degrees, with his front wheels hopelessly buried in a hole, and his rear wheels almost on the pavement. He also did not have 4WD. Fortunately he did have a tow strap, so I backed my RL up to near the back of his vehicle and he attached the strap. I kept the AWD in "normal" but turned on "Stuck Vehicle" mode, which supposedly locks the rear axle. Although the RL slipped a fair amount, as I was on the exact surface he had slid on, I was able to pull him out. Given the weight of his vehicle, the situation he was in, and the slipperiness of the road surface, I am quite impressed with the capabilities of the RL's AWD system. I don't think this would have been possible with traditional 4WD, as I would have ended up with two wheels spinning, one front, one rear (or 1 front and 2 rear in my old GMC which had "automatic locking differential"), and we would have gotten nowhere. Anyways, it's always nice to be able to help someone else out, and now I have 2 tow straps stored in the truck. :smile:
Well done. Could you please elaborate on how to engage stuck mode.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I believe you press and hold the traction control button until it turns off. Stuck mode only works in Normal and Snow mode.
Thanks, I didn't think that this had anything to do with locking the differential it just lets you spin the tires. I think sand mode will lock the rears. If we ever get some significant snow here I will try this. Ironically in older Hondas you can't disable traction control if you have snows and no TPMS sensors. I'm not sure about the RL.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I feel dumb for asking because I've never been in this situation, but just in case for future reference...
Isn't Stuck Vehicle Assist turned on by default (in which case you turned it off?)?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
on a related daydream I had when seeing this thread...too bad it wasn't a Colorado or canyon. I could make a post that it was pulled out by a pilot with a bed and watch them all lose their friggen minds. lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my mistake. What I did was keep the iVTM4 in "normal" mode, and turned off the ATC. I had read (erroneously, it turns out) on a YouTube video that this locks the rear differential. It does not. What it does is remove the engine throttle-back during wheelspin. This explains why my wheels were spinning so much. Putting the iVTM4 (couldn't they come up with a better name? Like TigerTRAC?) in "sand" mode sort of locks the rear diff, at least for going straight ahead, but it will slip if you make a turn, so there is no bindup. This is what I probably should have done.

As to how the tow strap was attached, the other guy did that so I didn't see how he did it, but it was attached to the trailer hitch receiver somehow. I now have a hitch and ball installed, which makes a much better attachment point. (And, yes, I did check, and driving around with a hitch and ball installed is legal in my state.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts