Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came home with a new to me 2013 sport today with just over 45k on it. Love it! Test drove 06-13 from 25k-166k in miles and to be honest they all drove the same. Only difference was the dealer warranties and the fact that many of the 06-07 were leaking oil near the drain plug or around the engine case. That pushed me to pay a little more for a newer one.

I am a convert from the Tacoma world where I had the off road access cab and I am pretty sure my truck will see 300k some day. Hope I can push this Honda to that too. only reason for the switch is my month old son :smile:

Anyway to get to my question here: do you all find that you place brake pads/rotors both more often than you would on other trucks? My carfax shows my line had the pads/rotors replaces by the prev owner at 30k which is quick in my experience...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Does it say if they were Front or Rear? I'm guessing it doesn't, but many have noted rears going out early, mine I replaced at around 50k, I know others have replaced earlier. I've also read many posts, of members finding insignificant brake slider pin lube, causing binding and either the inner or outer pad to ware out even earlier. This seems to happen more in cold, snowy climates, where road salt or brine is used.

My front pads made 75k, could have gotten another 5-10k, but had the truck down for other repairs so it worked. I took the rear pads apart then and cleaned and lubed everything, I'll do it again next year, as I did all that last year

BTW, Honda recommend's a different than usual brake fluid replacement, IIRC, you start at the drivers front, then passenger front, passenger rear, driver's rear. Others have done the normal "furthest from master cylinder" method, without issue, YMMV. The Maintence Minder will not show a code for fluid replacement, but the recommendation is every 3 years, so your basically due now, unless you can tell or call where the brake pads were replaced, and find out if it was changed then.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
It all really depends on the type of pad used, the normal braking force applied and the type of driving you do. If there's a lot of stop and go driving, the pads will wear down much quicker. If it's highway, you could go a very long time on a set of brakes. The system on the RL is extremely easy to maintain by DIY.

For me, I bought my truck with 75k miles on it. It still had the original pads and rotors on it. The front pads were at about half and the rears were ready to be replaced. I swapped those out at around 80k miles. I did the front pads at about 110k miles and had to do the rear pads again at 125k miles. The rears do wear out much quicker than the fronts, so be prepared for that. I'm still running the original rotors at 155k miles. They just won't quit. I've taken good care of the braking system with regular bleeds of the fluid, cleaning and lubing of the calipers and proper torque on the lug nuts at all times. I will probably end up replacing the rotors and all pads within the next year or so just because I think getting 10+ years out of a set of rotors is good enough. They do have a lip on them and, whereas there's still usable meat on them, it's just time.

Drive easy, keep up on maintenance, treat it well and it'll last you a very long time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts