Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a pulsing brake pedal when breaking from 75 MPH (or so) in hot weather? Drove from Bakersfield, CA into Las Vegas in 85 degree temps today and noticed that there was a very distinct pulsing of the brake pedal when breaking. Do not "ride" my brakes and the need to slow were 15 or more minutes apart so there should have been no excess heat in the rotors. Didn't notice any pulsing when slowing from 55 MPH or slower on local highway or surface streets. Am going to take it to a local Honda dealer to have them check it tomorrow. Am stumped so any ideas you have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Has anyone experienced a pulsing brake pedal when breaking from 75 MPH (or so) in hot weather? Drove from Bakersfield, CA into Las Vegas in 85 degree temps today and noticed that there was a very distinct pulsing of the brake pedal when breaking. Do not "ride" my brakes and the need to slow were 15 or more minutes apart so there should have been no excess heat in the rotors. Didn't notice any pulsing when slowing from 55 MPH or slower on local highway or surface streets. Am going to take it to a local Honda dealer to have them check it tomorrow. Am stumped so any ideas you have would be appreciated.
they are warped. That is the only thing it can be, as far as I know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not duplicate the pulsing at 55 or slower this morning. Dealer could find no issues other than one tire being slightly out of balance. Can't imagine it was a balance issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jhofwa, another poster suggested your brake disks might be warped. That's possible, but unlikely IMHO. Given the brake problems Honda had with Accords in '09 and '10, Honda's done its homework when it comes to brake disks in general and the Ridgeline/Pilot brakes in particular.

Now, having said that, it's entirely possible that some small amount of disk brake pad material may adhere to a hot brake disk. (You stop, you keep your foot on the brake until the light changes, and hot brake pad material (looks almost like black pepper) sticks to one or more brake rotors when you move off.) This, I assure you, will cause a pulsing sensation when you next apply the brakes.

The remedy is simple enough: Likely touch the brake pedal several times before coming to a full stop and the brake pads will clean off the rotors. Also, if you can allow your RL to move forward a few inches after stopping, that will allow the pads and the rotors to cool without the pads resting in the same place on the rotors. This same sort of thing happens with surface rust on the rotors following a rain storm. In extreme cases, you can hand-sand the stuff off, but I can't imagine you will find that necessary unless you really torture your brakes and put the horse up wet, so to speak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts