Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, 48" bar works very well. I like the amber turn signals and the white backup lights.

Bit of a pain installing, fishing the little controller box attached to the cable between the bumper and tail gate hinge area on the drivers side following existing wires, just take your time it will go thru. I did not want to cut into any of the truck wiring. All your signals needed are on the 7 pin trailer socket (if you have one), so connected to a 7 pin trailer plug to a 4 pin harness I had sitting around. Since I wanted to connect the backup lights wire to the 7 pin plug also, I ruled out just using a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, and ran that wire to the 7 pin plug. The light bar comes with a 4 pin plug that plugged into my 4 pin connector. So the unit is just plug and play, don't need the light bar on when pulling a trailer.

Mounts above the license plate at about 45 degree angle. Still throws out lots of light. Bar mounts with 4 plastic clip holders. On my truck, while using the 4 clips, when you lowered the tail gate it would rub on the light bar in the middle. Seems to be less room between the tail gate and bumper in the middle. Didn't want issues with the paint on the tail gate, so removed the 2 plastic clips in the middle and just use 2 strips of 3m double side tape in the center to hold the light bar stable. The 2 clips on the ends are using 3m tape but I'm also using a screw for extra security, bumper is plastic so no drilling into metal.

Expensive bar but I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Definitely not cheap but it is the only one I have seen that is rated as waterproof not just water resistant, with a 3 year warranty.
Interesting find! $175 isn't too bad, considering all that it does and as a simple "plug 'n play" you don't have to worry about any pro install costs on top!

This has me thinking about it now.... hmmmmm?????

:wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'v e seen the price as low as $143 on Amazon though is varies depending on the seller. Today it is showing at $154, while it was $143 yesterday. Different sellers.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I paid $155 at Amazon. Here are some pics.

Putco Bar_800x362.jpg

IMG_20170519_114416_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170519_114521_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170519_114124_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170519_114227_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170519_114640_800x450.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
last pic.
IMG_20170519_114801_800x450.jpg

The bar has a 3 year warranty so I didn't want to cut or modify the cable. So as stated before I connected a 4 pin trailer harness to the 7 pin plug which also allowed me to connect the one backup wire to the 7 pin connector. Plus no cutting into the truck's wiring harness. Just bunch up and tie wrap the excess wire and connectors behind the trailer hitch.

Some good info available on this site about trailer wiring. This might help:

Re: Wiring Diagram for 7 pin Connector

Honda's 7-pin connector is wired to the RV standard so it is the same as the travel trailer wiring.
Looking at the tow vehicle socket:
2 o'clock position - black - battery charging
3 o'clock position - brown - right signal and brake light
5 o'clock position - blue - brake controller
7 o'clock position - white - ground
9 o'clock position - red - left signal and brake light
10 o'clock position - green - running lights
center position - yellow - backup lights

·
Registered
650 Posts
@MtMan ... does the reverse function work w/ your setup?

Thanks for the pics, btw! Looks good! :grin:
Yes, in reverse the bar turns white. The 7 pin trailer connector has a backup lights pin.

Reactions: NOVARIDGE

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought this one from Wish.com and it was an easy stick on / plug in and works perfectly. The only installation needed was to hook up the reverse light. I did it in the tail light but I guess it can also be done on the hitch. Much cheaper and if it quits, or falls off, I will just order another one.
Cheers..

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
How far out from the bumper does the plug extend that you have in post 10? Thinking of going this route if it doesn't extend too far.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So if I just use a 7 to 4 pin adapter I wouldn't have backup lights? Pardon my ignorance.
Correct, you would need to tap into the backup lights wire which is the blue one on the trailer harness. But I did not want to cut into the wiring on mine.

untitled_800x600.jpg

1 - 20 of 157 Posts