Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
K Anderson, the kit I received from Kurt tied in to the left and right taillights. The kit they make to replace the short harness does not use the same B-series connector as the OEM Honda harness, but again we may be talking about two different part numbers. If you don't mind let me know that Curt number again and I would like to know if you have already installed it and if it worked without modification.

Curt is a good outfit and if they are making the same thing I am [obviously for less as they are a mfg] then I don't need to make mine anymore. Last thing I want is to have a reputation that I sell to ROC members and charge more than something just as good they can get elsewhere.

Really would appreciate your keeping me updated, I was about to place an order to England for a dozen sets of B-series connector sets and they are pretty expensive. I will hold off till I hear back from you.

Thanks, and greatly appreciate your comments.

Danny K.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a link in my post above.
It might be a while before I get it though since it seems like Amazon is no hurry to ship anything.

·
Registered
234 Posts
James I got the 91009-48. I have been checking it a couple times a day for the last few weeks and it was down to 135.00 this morning so I went for it. There are some on eBay that have best offers but I have not had much luck lately getting people to take my offers.
That's a good price. I guess I should check more often.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Amazon will change prices on things several times a day sometimes. This was from a 3rd party seller, I think they are all on Amazon.
I got the light bar this morning. I used my 7-4 adaptor to test it out since my other harness has not shipped yet and everything but the reverse, obviously, worked great.

James when you mention air bubbles in your light bar is this what you meant? It was hard to get a good picture without the glare, I hope you can see what I am talking about. They are in a couple places over the 48" but I can not feel them so they are below the surface so I don't think they should affect anything and I could not see that they had any effect when I was testing it.

Dose anyone else's have these little bubbles below the surface?

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Amazon will change prices on things several times a day sometimes. This was from a 3rd party seller, I think they are all on Amazon.
I got the light bar this morning. I used my 7-4 adaptor to test it out since my other harness has not shipped yet and everything but the reverse, obviously, worked great.

James when you mention air bubbles in your light bar is this what you meant? It was hard to get a good picture without the glare, I hope you can see what I am talking about. They are in a couple places over the 48" but I can not feel them so they are below the surface so I don't think they should affect anything and I could not see that they had any effect when I was testing it.

Dose anyone else's have these little bubbles below the surface?
Yes, these are the air bubbles I saw in the bar I received. Yours seems worse than mine. Mine had 14 bubbles and most of them were in mid section. Only one big air bubble at the wire end, which is the main concern of leaking moisture into light tube. Putco said bubbles are defect and will affect light performance in the future and advised me to return it. I returned mine (it took total four weeks to get return and refund but the seller was excellent in handling return).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Putco came out with a newer version, 92009. Amazon Link

Question: What are the differences between 91009-48 and 92009-48?

Answer: 92009-48 will come with a designated 12v power wire for compatibility for vehicles with any of the following options: LED tail lights, BLIS System, backup camera, adaptive cruise-control, or lane monitoring system.

The BE has LED tail lights, backup camera, adaptive cruise-control and lane monitoring system. Looks like I should get he 92009 VS the 91009 everyone is using here, right? Any advice guys?

PS: Also, Danny (DK-NY), I would be interested in getting one of your harness once I figured out which model I should get for the tail light bar.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know why but I got the idea that they released the new one because there was a conflict with the Ford lane keep system on the previous one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know why but I got the idea that they released the new one because there was a conflict with the Ford lane keep system on the previous one.
F-150, when trailer harness is connected, would assume a trailer is attached and turns off rear sensors. So the light includes parts to tap to harness wires.

The first 91009-48 I ordered also included a bag of tapping clips.

I just ordered another 91009-48 with $137. Hope this one has no air bubbles.

Did you return yours?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did not return mine.
I sent them an email with pictures last weekend and did not hear back so I called them and was told that it was not a problem. I told him about your experience and he said that it was normal, that the material that is used to fill in and seal the bar expands over time and that the air bubbles are normal and that they will work themselves out (the material will fully expand in essence) sooner or later. He said that he has one on his truck that had bubbles when he got it and now they are gone.
He may be blowing smoke, and probably is, but since I got it through Amazon, from a 3rd party seller I figured that it would end up being more trouble then it was worth to return it. If the bar is sealed and water can not get in then I would not think that they should cause any issues.
I am glad that you were able to catch it at a lower price, good luck with your new one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did not return mine.
I sent them an email with pictures last weekend and did not hear back so I called them and was told that it was not a problem. I told him about your experience and he said that it was normal, that the material that is used to fill in and seal the bar expands over time and that the air bubbles are normal and that they will work themselves out (the material will fully expand in essence) sooner or later. He said that he has one on his truck that had bubbles when he got it and now they are gone.
He may be blowing smoke, and probably is, but since I got it through Amazon, from a 3rd party seller I figured that it would end up being more trouble then it was worth to return it. If the bar is sealed and water can not get in then I would not think that they should cause any issues.
I am glad that you were able to catch it at a lower price, good luck with your new one.
I got the same self workout answer when I contacted vendor. I then asked Amazon and got these answers (read Putco's answer):

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxR1Q8KAFGLNEN/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

I bought from a third party seller through Amazon too. When I forwarded what Putco said, they agreed my return/refund request. It took over three weeks for me to get refund but overall the vendor was a good seller. I am prime member, not sure if that makes any difference in term of return/refund.

I hope this new one I will receive in a week has no bubbles or at least no bubbles near the bar ends.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hope this new one I will receive in a week has no bubbles or at least no bubbles near the bar ends.
Received the new bar and it only has one 1/16" tiny bubble. I am going to install it this weekend. These are the cables/adapters I will use. The 2 pole cable will connect the reverse white wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Installed the Putco Led Blade, using Danny's trailer harness. I spent more time running the wire and tidying them up than worrying about the connection. I have considered ALL the permutations and methods by the members posted here. THIS is by far the most professional method. OEM quality and as convenient as it's gonna get. Thank you Danny!! Now the pictures...

I mounted the light vertically without the bracket right below the trunk handle. Mounting it lower exposes the light too much for my liking. There's at least an inch of clearance with the tailgate open down or out. Plenty of space there. Note the unused trailer connector, nice and clean!

Undertail shot

Mounted the controller using 3M VHB dual sided tape. It's not going anywhere

The 5-way flat connector added by Danny is tucked up high. You can see it peaking up there. If water ever reaches up there I would have other serious problem to deal with than worrying about the connector.

Installation Protips:

1) Test the light making sure everything works before you start doing anything.

2) Once you have picked a spot, make sure it doesn't interfere with the tail gate opening both way, out and down.

3) As other have said, remove the left tail light and run the wire and controller through there. It's two bolts and it makes your life 100x easier.

4) The gray trailer connector is locked by TWO mechanism. One is the plastic tab on the bottom that you can easily see. The other tab is hidden on top of the connector, which also serves as the fastener into the body of the truck. First, must remove the top hidden connector. PULL UP on the metal tab and the entire connector will slide right out. No need to remove the fastener from the body. Once the connector assembly is removed from the tab/fastener, PRESS DOWN on the plastic tab of the remaining mechanism while wiggling the two halves left and right. It will take some effort. Be patient and the two halves will separate. To reinstall, do the exact reverse. Connect the two halves first and slide the top into the metal tab/fastener to lock it into the body.

5) Run your wire and tidy them up first before installing the light. Make sure to leave enough slack for adjustment.

6) Make sure to clean all surfaces, both the light and the truck surface, before sticking.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I mounted the light vertically without the bracket right below the trunk handle. Mounting it lower exposes the light too much for my liking. There's at least an inch of clearance with the tailgate open down or out. Plenty of space there. Note the unused trailer connector, nice and clean!
Very nice installation! Cleanwise -- truck does need a wash:wink:

When I did my installation, I initially wanted to mount vertically like you did. But I found the surface is not flat. The upper part of trunk end sticks out a bit so there was not much flat surface for 3m tapes to have solid contact. Also I found that visibility in vertical position was not as good as angel position due to lower tailgate edge. Driver behind, however, should have no problem seeing the light.

Another thing I noticed: when back out garage in early morning when it's dark, I see a black shadow from rear bumper. I am thinking to get a led strip and T-tap it to reverse and ground wires and mount it under rear bumper.

Did you notice the shadow?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Not to take away from your project, but have you followed behind your truck in another truck, and visualized how much/little you can see the lights from the bar? Doesn’t seem to me like it will be very visible except maybe in the dark? Curious...

·
Registered
234 Posts
The light bar really works. Yesterday around 3pm I noticed a car behind me was too close. I turned on parking lights and saw the car immediately slowed down and then kept proper distance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice installation! Cleanwise -- truck does need a wash:wink:

When I did my installation, I initially wanted to mount vertically like you did. But I found the surface is not flat. The upper part of trunk end sticks out a bit so there was not much flat surface for 3m tapes to have solid contact. Also I found that visibility in vertical position was not as good as angel position due to lower tailgate edge. Driver behind, however, should have no problem seeing the light.

Another thing I noticed: when back out garage in early morning when it's dark, I see a black shadow from rear bumper. I am thinking to get a led strip and T-tap it to reverse and ground wires and mount it under rear bumper.

Did you notice the shadow?
Actually, I actually mounted it vertically even higher than the part you were referring to. At normal driving distance, cars and trucks can see the light easily. Getting close within 20-30 ft and the light would be blocked by the tail gate. And yes, I see the shadow big time, unavoidable if mounted vertical due to the thick bumper.

For the reasons above, I have relocated the light bar to 45 degree angle area like everyone else 0:) . It works just fine there. A (dis)advantage of this location is that since the light bar now pointing UP, the shadow is eliminated, but back up light function is for show now since it's pointing up at the sky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not to take away from your project, but have you followed behind your truck in another truck, and visualized how much/little you can see the lights from the bar? Doesn’t seem to me like it will be very visible except maybe in the dark? Curious...
Your post prompted me to do a test. At normal driving distance, everybody will see the light. Coming closer though, within 20-30 ft, the light is blocked by the tail gate. I have since moved it a little lower and forward on the 45 degrees surface like everybody else. Much better visibility without any blockage by the tail gate. The light bar is very bright. It actually looks like it comes with the truck as the brightness and color matches the OEM brake lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just installed this bar with much of the advice on this thread. No clips, just tape. Went to Walmart and purchased a 7 pin to 4&5 pin connector. Snaked white wire back up along with other 4 wires on light strip whip. Added male crimp on terminal to white wire and plugged into 5 hole of connector. Everything works perfectly.
Now question... The white backup lights of Putco strip are so bright and white they make stock backup lights look dull, and amber in comparison. Was looking at this LED bulb from Amazon and would like to know if anyone has installed and can verify they are a bright white in color to come close to Putco's. Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0193ISBUA/?coliid=I11Q8G9DMD7Z5&colid=2EDBCQ41TJTN8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here is the part number of the 7 to 4,5 pin connector on Amazon if anyone is interested.
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Towing-Solutions-47385-Multi-Tow/dp/B000FCINUW/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000FCINUW&pd_rd_r=228c7e0e-0e17-11e9-90c0-f9307a5a46b8&pd_rd_w=r9OJL&pd_rd_wg=94WNZ&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=PKSSZ3C51EPJTPS5E5WC&psc=1&refRID=PKSSZ3C51EPJTPS5E5WC

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Question for the hitch plug users...

Doesn’t any config that uses the trailer plug fool the RL into thinking you’re towing and if equipped, disable Blind Spot sensing?
Forgive me if I missed this aspect being addressed skimming through yards of thread but this alone is why I direct wired my Plasmaglow Night Raider bar. It does the Nightrighder sequential slide with brake lights, solid turn red signals (they override the half flashing turn) and white backup too.
Hint: A 7/8-1” chrome adhesive strip mounted above bumper reflects the bar so well it appears to be two!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had the 7-to-4 pin adapter in for a lighted hitch step almost the whole time I've had the truck. The blind spot monitoring, cross traffic, and the backup sensors all work with it connected. The truck doesn't seem to know the difference or care that something is in the hitch or plug.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts