Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Question for the hitch plug users...

Doesn’t any config that uses the trailer plug fool the RL into thinking you’re towing and if equipped, disable Blind Spot sensing?
Forgive me if I missed this aspect being addressed skimming through yards of thread but this alone is why I direct wired my Plasmaglow Night Raider bar. It does the Nightrighder sequential slide with brake lights, solid turn red signals (they override the half flashing turn) and white backup too.
Hint: A 7/8-1” chrome adhesive strip mounted above bumper reflects the bar so well it appears to be two!
I posted my splicing experience in this thread at post 51 , it was real easy and is really 2 fold beneficial. I can unplug the light if it ever goes bad and i can plug in a trailer with a 5 pin if needed with out an adapter while retaining my regular plug.

also i love the clean look of not having anything plugged in on a regular basis.

just my .02 :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys can someone give me a chart of all the color wires you connected from the light bar to the truck wiring harness. I'm new at this wanted to try to do it myself. I see the truck harness doesn't have the yellow wire. Appreciate any help

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey guys can someone give me a chart of all the color wires you connected from the light bar to the truck wiring harness. I'm new at this wanted to try to do it myself. I see the truck harness doesn't have the yellow wire. Appreciate any help
This is taken right from the first page of this thread ...........:surprise::|

Honda's 7-pin connector is wired to the RV standard so it is the same as the travel trailer wiring.
Looking at the tow vehicle socket:
2 o'clock position - black - battery charging
3 o'clock position - brown - right signal and brake light
5 o'clock position - blue - brake controller
7 o'clock position - white - ground
9 o'clock position - red - left signal and brake light
10 o'clock position - green - running lights
center position - yellow - backup lights

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I saw that post but wasn't too sure because I didn't see a yellow wire on the gray trailer connector so I thought maybe he was talking about a custom adapter he made like many in here have posted about. So just to clarify, I just follow the wires from the flat 4 pin connector on the light bar and hardwire it correspondingly to that wiring diagram as far as the turn signals, ground, etc. But for the reverse wire just tap it into my reverse light?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah I saw that post but wasn't too sure because I didn't see a yellow wire on the gray trailer connector so I thought maybe he was talking about a custom adapter he made like many in here have posted about. So just to clarify, I just follow the wires from the flat 4 pin connector on the light bar and hardwire it correspondingly to that wiring diagram as far as the turn signals, ground, etc. But for the reverse wire just tap it into my reverse light?
you can look at my pics in post 51 but i went with a different plug, i referenced this thread to make my harness so the info is in here

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking at post 20, I don't see a yellow wire either at the grey connector. But the reverse wire is there at the grey connector. You don't have to find your reverse wire at your lens.

I made my harness 2 years ago, so I don't remember any wire colors and it's all wrapped up weather tight so I can't look at it. At the time I made it, I had to prove to myself which wire was which using an ohm meter.

The flat-4 on the light bar is easy. It's standard ground, tail, left, right, and the loose wire is reverse.

The Honda harness is easy to figure out too using an ohm meter. The wire functions are printed on the 7-pin connector cover.

I didn't do it this way, but if I had to make it again, I would splice in a vehicle-side flat-4 and a separate reverse wire with a female bullet connector onto the Honda harness. Then add a male bullet connector to the light bar reverse wire. I used self-sealing silicone tape for weather proofing (which may be overkill).

edit: Also, I had to prove to myself that left side lights on the light bar were the lights next to the light bar wires. I temporarily used a 7-to-4 adapter for that and I'm pretty sure left was left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at the wires from the back lights, it looks like I'll be connecting the light bar wires to the following colors on the gray connector of my 2017 Rtl. Ground ---> black. Running ---> red. Left turn ---> blue. Right turn ---> green. And reverse ---> brown. Does that sound about right? I can do this by trial and error right? If I connect any of the wires wrong the light just won't turn on, but it won't mess up anything right? Thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a link in my post above.
It might be a while before I get it though since it seems like Amazon is no hurry to ship anything.
Were you able to successfully use the Curt 55384 T-connector that you linked to? If so, how do you separate the OEM 7-pin connector that comes with the vehicle. It's not clear to me how that separates so that I can lay in the 55384 and I don't want to ruin it.
Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
K. Anderson, appreciate your post. I ordered the Curt kit and looked it over, it requires a built in relay box and wiring from both tail lights to get left and right turn signals, then you have a 4 pin connector for the Putco LED bar and no provision for the backup lights. I thought it was a mess. My solution simply replaces the OEM short harness with one that includes a 5 pin connector and a 5th wire butt splice to a soldered male pin for the PUTCO. For about the same cost, half the effort, and a better solution. And see what Putco thinks of cutting off their four pin connector if it ever fails under their 3 year warranty and you try to return it.

Available on http://stores.ebay.com/Ridgeline-Mods or just order here through the ROC by PMing me.

Danny K.

Ridgeline-Mods
A veteran owned business
Made in the U.S.A.
Hey I was just reading about this solution for the led light Bar. I just bought a g2 a week ago and wanted to get your connector. Are you still making and seeking the?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Squash,

I really don't make these any more, streamlined all my Ridge products down to just the strut kits as it was becoming way too time consuming. I did dig around and found one more brand new OEM 7-way connector and harness, which is what I use to modify and add the five pin flat for the Putco. That one is promised but if that client will exchange his connector and harness he is replacing then I can make you one, will be just like new. Give me a shout back in a couple weeks and I can let you know. Best regards, Danny K.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
671 Posts
I am thinking about buying this bar. Are there any cons on these lights
The only think I've noticed in 18 months is that its somewhat hidden by the tailgate. So isn't as visible vertically if someone is close or in a tall rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at the wires from the back lights, it looks like I'll be connecting the light bar wires to the following colors on the gray connector of my 2017 Rtl. Ground ---> black. Running ---> red. Left turn ---> blue. Right turn ---> green. And reverse ---> brown. Does that sound about right? I can do this by trial and error right? If I connect any of the wires wrong the light just won't turn on, but it won't mess up anything right? Thanks in advance for any input
Did this scheme work for you? I am ready to splice into the Honda harness now - but the colors in all the diagrams on this forum relate to the trailer hitch end, not the pigtail end of the harness it seems (at least on my Gen 2) - because like you said - there is no yellow.

Further, if it is indeed true that on the Honda harness:
Black – Ground
Red – Running lights
Blue – Left turn / brake
Green – Right turn / brake
Brown – Reverse
...then which black is the ground? The thin one or the thick one?

Finally - if these are the Putco Bar wiring colors
White – Reverse
Green – Right turn / brake
Yellow – Left turn / brake
Brown – Running lights
Black – Ground

Then I should be splicing:
Putco - Honda
white - brown
green - green
yellow - blue
brown - red
black - one of the black wires...

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 60” Putco blade fits perfectly (it actually only measures 57 1/2”) and with LED aimed directly out to the rear. I put one on my RTL-E and connected easily to the 7 way tow hook up (if you have one). I didn’t do any spicing. You just have to lower the license plate attachment with 2 small brackets by about 1/2” (I bought them at Home depot) in order to make room for the Putco Blade

I used this to make the connection:

Wesbar 7 Way to 5 Way Adapter Amazon.com: Wesbar 7 Way to 5 Way Adapter: Automotive

Then just crimp a connector onto the backup wire (White?), seal with some silicone or waterproofing agent and plug that into the empty 5th hole on the adapter.

Then plug into it the 7 blade, tuck up and zip tie up all the loose wires. Works great!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
The 60” Putco blade fits perfectly (it actually only measures 57 1/2”) and with LED aimed directly out to the rear. I put one on my RTL-E and connected easily to the 7 way tow hook up (if you have one). I didn’t do any spicing. You just have to lower the license plate attachment with 2 small brackets by about 1/2” (I bought them at Home depot) in order to make room for the Putco Blade

I used this to make the connection:

Wesbar 7 Way to 5 Way Adapter Amazon.com: Wesbar 7 Way to 5 Way Adapter: Automotive

Then just crimp a connector onto the backup wire (White?), seal with some silicone or waterproofing agent and plug that into the empty 5th hole on the adapter.

Then plug into it the 7 blade, tuck up and zip tie up all the loose wires. Works great!!
Please post some pictures of your installation. Thanks

121 - 140 of 157 Posts