Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased Pyle wireless backup camera. I managed to install the camera on top of the license plate. I had to get a bit creative and attach an aluminum plate behind the license plate and bend it so that I could stick the camera on top of it (see the image). If I stuck it on the body below, the tail gate would crush it when I opened it vertically. I did not want to restrict the tailgate movement that way.

I have also managed to identify the wires needed to connect the camera to reverse wires in left of driver side. But my problem now is that the wires are bulky that comes out from the camera. as there are connectors and wireless receiver (see the image with red circle that has the connectors and receiver). I cannot run them under the roof next to the windshield elegantly. I am looking for some ideas.

One option is to just cut wires and get rid of the connectors and connect them directly and run the wire under the roof next to windshield. I can attach the receiver and place it inside the left side of the driver side.

Another option is to stick all the bulky connectors and wireless receiver in the sunglass holder (I have never used them in my past 10 years and never will).

Appreciate any suggestions....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I purchased Pyle wireless backup camera. I managed to install the camera on top of the license plate. I had to get a bit creative and attach an aluminum plate behind the license plate and bend it so that I could stick the camera on top of it (see the image). If I stuck it on the body below, the tail gate would crush it when I opened it vertically. I did not want to restrict the tailgate movement that way.

I have also managed to identify the wires needed to connect the camera to reverse wires in left of driver side. But my problem now is that the wires are bulky that comes out from the camera. as there are connectors and wireless receiver (see the image with red circle that has the connectors and receiver). I cannot run them under the roof next to the windshield elegantly. I am looking for some ideas.

One option is to just cut wires and get rid of the connectors and connect them directly and run the wire under the roof next to windshield. I can attach the receiver and place it inside the left side of the driver side.

Another option is to stick all the bulky connectors and wireless receiver in the sunglass holder (I have never used them in my past 10 years and never will).

Appreciate any suggestions....
I'm thinking you meant "that comes out of the mirror"??

Anyway, if you pop out the housing that is the upper 'console' piece that holds the sunglasses holder, lights, etc., you should find that you can stow that 'bulky' section there along side that piece after running them up under the headliner from the front (I believe?). If you hard wire it, you still have the wireless receiver that needs to remain, so I'd just stow them together. If the existing initial length ends up coincidentally putting those pieces too close to get them up under the headliner & to the "stow" area, then just splice in more wire to get you where you're going with the 'lump'. But it really looks like it should get you to the edge of the headliner & on to the stow point (beside the housing). Here's the how:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dnick.

You are correct. I was talking about the wires coming from the mirror which also had the video screen in it.

However, I went ahead and clipped the wires to remove the connectors and just connect them directly. I could not run the wire directly between the windshield and the roof.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did a wireless backup sensor install years ago on my RL. If I remember correctly, there is switched 24V in a connector up there in the mirror area housing. It was tucked way back in there. So maybe you will not need to run extra wires up there?

EDIT--- I just realized that you may want a switched power when the BU lights come on. Sorry, there is only a switched 24, not BU up there as far as I know. But if you just need 24+, it is up there in a connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the 12 V when you shift the gear in reverse next to the Driver side above the fuse box. It's a green wire among 35-40 other wires in the bunch. Luckily there was only couple of green wires and I used a probe to find the right one. see this post.. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=258847&postcount=5

The third image is the one that did the trick.

I managed to connect everything and they seems to work fine. I will know how good the wireless is as I use it.

p.s. Pyle also sent in extra wires if I decide to go wired. It will be a whole different day if I decide to go that route :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts