Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a few trucks, 2-F-150's, a GMC Sonoma,(momentary lapse of reason) an 01 Taco, and untill a month ago an 04 Dakota Quad which was rear-ended and totalled by a guy payin more attention to his cell phone than the road. While buying an 06-Odyssey for my wife, I test drove a Ridge and was quite impressed. At first I thought it was quite ugly but the more I look at it, the more it kinda grows on ya.
So far in looking for a replacement for my Dakota, I think I have test-driven just about every truck out there but I always end-up going back to the Honda website to "look" at the Ridge one more time.
I guess my only real concern is with the problems the Ridge has had that I read from the owners on this site. My quandry & what I really wanna know from ya'll is:
Even with the few glitches it has had, would you drop 30+K on it again?, or would you wait for the 07's to come out and hope Honda has solved these problems?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd do it again. I've had mine for a month, and haven't had any problems yet. There's no way I could go back to a "truck" ride again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
DatSumbch said:
Even with the few glitches it has had, would you drop 30+K on it again?, or would you wait for the 07's to come out and hope Honda has solved these problems?
YES!!! I mean, yes I would buy it again in a minute (and could get a better price than 6 weeks ago), and no I wouldn't be able to wait for the '07's.

I think the problems seem magnified here, because people tend to write about their problems in order to get solutions, and don't continue to talk about how great the RL is.... er, well, maybe there is a lot of that, too! Personally, I have only the AM static issue to still deal with, and a very small water leak which disappeared after 3-4 days. I am happy to deal with these in order to keep driving this truck, it is easily the most enjoyable and useful vehicle I have ever owned.

I also feel much more confident about the truck having spent a few weeks here at the ROC reading about others' experiences. Yes, there are some problems, but you notice that Honda is generally very good about stepping up to take care of them. I feel better knowing about the potential problems than being in the dark. And there is a huge resource here to guide you in sorting out any issues.

GO FOR IT!! .... you will not regret it. Pricing is good right now, I read a post a few days ago where someone paid $1700 under invoice. You should be able to get the RT for $25ish.

(P.S. White is the best color...:D )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DatSumbch said:
Yep, I'd do it. Bought mine in March, no real problems. Have the Honda tonneau, running boards, metallic trim interior, Infinity 6012si speakers:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, but I would buy a later Manufacture date since I guess they have changed the door locking programing and if Nav make sure you get the updated DVD.
Just do your research on the ROC and BUY BUY BUY!!!!:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome to ROC.....

You ask a great question. I just went through the same process over the last 6 weeks. After spending a lot of time looking through these posts, and talking with folks in the car/truck business, I purchased the RTL. Granted, mine was manufactured in October, and I've only had it for a week.... but, I can tell you I have absolutely no buyer's remorse. I'd do it again in a minute.

One of the keys is to find a good dealer with a great service department.... in case you need it. I looked at several dealers (from 2 miles away, to 200 miles away), and I settled on one that's about 14 miles from where I live. I would recommend spending time with the service folks, as well as the sales folks.

I'm sure other ROC members with a longer ownership record will chime in, but I just spotted your post and wanted to welcome you and pass along my research experience.

:D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Is there really another choice? :)
Mine was manufactured in May and I have no problems, unless you count the auto door unlock issue. Yes, I'd do it all over again.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was one of the first to buy and have a low vin #. I had quite a few issues all of which have been resolved to my satisfaction by American Honda and my local dealer.

Would I buy another one? Heck yeah. Would I wait for an 07? Probably not but I would either find a higher vin or have them order one off of the line.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We've had over six months of happy ownership. I'm glad we didn't wait. We have none of the problems some of the other owners have had to contend with. I don't consider the passenger's doors unlocking an issue. I am generally the only passenger and my finger works just fine hitting my door unlock button.

We absolutely love our BLUE truck and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Welcome to the forum. You are gonna love your truck too.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
DatSumbch, I wouldn't hesitate a minute, in fact If I had to replace mine I couldn't do it fast enough. DoctorJ has actually had to do it. You may not have read his story on another thread but a kid broadsided him and totaled his truck. We all felt his pain as he waited for the decision to see if it was going to be repaired or replaced.

BassBud, you are speaking my language.
One of the keys is to find a good dealer with a great service department.... in case you need it. I looked at several dealers (from 2 miles away, to 200 miles away), and I settled on one that's about 14 miles from where I live. I would recommend spending time with the service folks, as well as the sales folks.
I couldn't agree more. Great tip about spending time with the service department before you decide to buy from that dealer. Like others have said, the best deal is not always the lowest price. I place a great deal of value on the ability to depend on and trust the service department. You could walk in to the service lounge waiting room and strike up a conversation with whoever is there. Listen for a while as the service writers handle customers and talk with mechanics. It won't take long to get a pretty good idea about what you will be experiencing after you buy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
in a heartbeat...bought mine 3-15-05...manufacturing date late Feb, only problem is/was the creaky steering wheel, got the tsb off of ROC, dealer fixed first time out.
Minor quibbles aside, would I do it over again? Not yes, but hell yes. :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
By the way, I believe that Honda has addressed and corrected the problems that ROC members have posted. I agree with farmguy's comments about why you see problems posted on this site. I have had mine since May and so far the only problem was a loose connection in the passengers vanity mirror light. Pretty small problem, don't you agree? I have not had any of the problems that have been posted. I think that my experience is the norm, not the exception.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought my RTS in early August, and I absolutely love it. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. In fact it hardly ever fails that when I show this vehicle off to someone, they tell me that I should be selling them.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would buy another, unless Acura decides to release there version, I love the bells & whistles on the RL, but wouldn't mind a bunch more:) . Don't take this wrong, I love the RL, truck performance, V6 powered, act's like an 8, drives better the same as my wife's infinity....smooth! Bought mine in April, had a few hick ups, but Honda took care of them... compared to the last 20 plus cars/trucks I have owned.... way fewer issues with the RL WAY! I love this truck:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yea I'd do it again, but looks like I'd get better pricing right now. I'd say go for it cause there's a great selection at most dealers I'm driving by. My VIN was in the 25,000 ish range and the only issue is a little "tinking" noise in the drivers door at times. No other issues have come up and I'll get around to the door sooner or later.

It's a great truck and very quiet driving. I looked for a long time for something that was a "sport" truck with handling more like a sports car and less like a 1/2 ton truck. The Honda fits the bill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, I would buy another RTL/S.

I also, spent about a month, looking at Taco's, Frontier's, F150's, Tundra, and Titan's. I had a 03 Avalanche, that was a good truck, except, for all the recall's. And i wanted something that would get better gas mileage,
4X4, and tow a boat.

I have owned, F150's, F250's, Chevy 1500, and then a Chevy Avalanche.

I was just about to go back and look at a Silver Nissan Frontier, for 30K, and then I saw the RL at a dealership next door. I test drove a blue one w/o Nav. The Toyota and Nissan dealers would not give me a good price on my trade in, due to GM's employee discount plan, they said. The Honda dealer did not mention GM's employee discount program, and gave me a very good trade in price based on KBB book value.

I then proceeded to read all I could about the RL. Everyone on the ROC site was very helpful, with my decision.

I waited until the end of the month in June, and instead of purchasing the blue RL, I purchased a fresh Silver off the delivery truck w/Nav. I got the roof rack and fog lights at dealer costs. For 29K + options I felt I got a pretty good deal on a RTL/S. I purchased the last day of June 05. Vin build is June 05. Plus I got about 6K more for my trade in, than Toyota or Nissan would give.

To date I do not have any wind noise, no leaks, no steering wheel groan, and the key fob unlocks all the doors. I've got leather interior, side air bags, and good radio with XM.

The only thing I have purchased to date is the updated Nav CD. My street finally shows up with the new cd. Plus I want to add the rear camera, when I can afford it.

My brother and bro in law are die hard Ford and Dodge guys. Being a native Texan they initially gave me some crap about buying a foriegn truck. But after I let them drive the RL, they have changed their minds. Guess which truck has the bass boat hooked up to it first, and can store the beer and fish in a nice enclosed space that lockable.

To answer your question, I've got a good truck now in the 06 RL. I'll be buying another one in 2009 or 2010.

Hope this helps
Chuck
Austin Tx.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Why will you being a another one? Yours will just be broken in!!!!:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat! Best vehicle I have ever purchased.

I do have a slight wind noise at highway speed and the steering wheel creak, but those are minor issues that I will have addressed when I take it in for an oil change.

You won't regret it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts