Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Don’t you have to start subtracting from that 5K lb tow rating once you exceed the 300 lb total weight of the driver and passenger?

Reactions: dcK

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Use the LIFO inventory system. LOL Thought I read limit speed to 55-62 mph, depending on shape of the towed load.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Only if you want to haha. He convinced me to get the Ridgeline instead of something else. The data he showed was pretty impressive.
Can that data be provided to the Forum? Can he explain why TFT runs somewhat high?

All G1 Rigi’s and all G2 AWD Rigi’s have factory tranny coolers installed. Only Rigi without a factory installed tranny cooler is a G2 FWD Rigi.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
I keep my fingers crossed since I don't know how the previous 39 months of ownership, by someone else, were. My eyebrows got raised in April seeing TFT north of 210F. Found time in June to install a tranny cooler which took care of the situation. Solid 40*+ drop. Still have fingers crossed though regarding the tranny.🤞

Reactions: Junopapa

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
The Ridgeline's towing capacity is 3500pds in 2WD and 5000pds in 4WD. I want to tow a camper that weighs more that 3500pds, how do I put the truck into full time AWD? Or does the truck figure out that it's pulling more than the 2WD capacity and make the change to ADW automatically?
A couple of things you may want to consider regarding towing......the owners manual suggests weighing your loaded trailer at public scales (nominal fee) to eliminate guessing at loaded trailer weight. When you go camping, you probably drive by/very close to public scales. Also, there are many inexpensive devices that will monitor/display TFT that will tell you if you are pushing your tow vehicle too hard, as in when to slow down due TFT starting to elevate. These devices plug into the OBDII port under the dash.

Attachments

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
So.........who’s monitoring TFT? What are your temp numbers? Post ‘em up.

Look thru the lower grill......if you don’t see the cooler, you either have a FWD Rigi or it fell off. LOL. G1s had both OTW and OTA coolers. G2 AWD has OTA cooler only.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Believe what you want.....I’ll say it again, that hockey puck on top of the G2 tranny is a joke/farse. Monitoring fluid temps proves it is a joke.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
I monitor engine coolant temp, tranny fluid temp and cold radiator tank temp. The G2 6 speed tranny is very slow to warm up. When the tranny finally warms up, it can easily exceed engine coolant temp by 30*-40*, depending on driving conditions. If the tranny overheat warning displays, TFT is most likely 50*+ higher than engine coolant temp. At 50*+ highest, the hockey puck is not doing a very good job of "exchanging", is it. Again, the hockey puck on top of the tranny is a joke for warming or cooling tranny fluid. If calling it an "exchanger" gives you the warm fuzzies, then believe what you want. I call it a POS that will eventually leak engine coolant and/or tranny fluid.

Here in a month or so (cool/cold weather), it will be interesting to see some TFT posts from those that monitor TFT, for both FWD (no-cooler) Rigi's and AWD Rigi's. I'm looking for TFT numbers to compare to my FWD Rigi that now has a BATC.👌

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Nice I/O rig. That photo angle really makes the Rigi look small. Don't suppose you monitor TFT, out of curiosity? Ambient temps when towing? Steep/long ramps?

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Ain't going to happen.....I'm not in to pointless mechanicals. I'm not the least bit worried how slow the Honda tranny warms up...... all of the other vehicles, different makes/models I've monitored since 2005, TFT warmed up just as slow and they did not have a hockey puck warmer, exchanger, cooler, whatever you want to call it, on top of the tranny (except for the '17 CRV).

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
If interested in my TFT's I've posted a graphic from the software from one of my hauls with the Steiner on the trailer over the Laurel Ridge here in Western Pa from a few weeks back. On my truck it's been fine. I haven't had the overheating issues with towing like some have had. Hence my comments there about flow rates and restrictions etc.

Steve
Definitely interested......I may have already seen it, but my memory comes and goes.:eek:

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Great info, thanks for taking the time to share it again.(y) I would be willing to bet the TFT rise is due to driving/towing and not from the so-called warmer, exchanger, cooler (hockey puck) on top of the tranny. Can I presume your ambient temp in Chart 1 was +/-75F and +/-45F in Chart 2?

IMO, driving has everything to do with how quickly the tranny warms up or doesn't warm up. Air flow and ambient air temp have everything to do with how cool, or not, the tranny runs.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
It’s been post in this forum (also maybe “lost in space”) that engine coolant does not flow to/thru the hockey puck so called “exchanger” until engine coolant reaches 180F (t-stat just begins to open) operating temp. Wonder why that is?.......and Honda calls it a “warmer”.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
The heater core is not bypassed during engine warm-up and the heater core is several times larger than the hockey puck "warmer". Engine coolant flows thru the G2 heater core the moment the engine is started and doesn't seem to affect engine warm-up.

Do you monitor TFT? I do......and I observe normal operating engine coolant temp easily being 100* higher than the very slow to rise TFT. So.......what is that so called "warmer" really doing?

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Really?......I'm taking about the hockey puck on top of the tranny.......not the tranny as a whole.🤦‍♂️ The heater core is several times larger than the hockey puck on top of the tranny.

I also monitor dash vent air temp with a thermometer and the temp of the air coming out of the vent starts to rise within seconds of engine start-up. Excellent HVAC.

Ask yourself, would the drivetrain be more efficient if it was always at normal operating temp?:unsure:;)

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
........and monitoring TFT with an OBDII device of some kind would be a lot cheaper than another vehicle. Maybe slow down as TFT rises.

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
FWIW, regarding the "warmer" on top of the tranny.......I just wasted 30 minutes of gas idling, doing a very unscientific test, if you will, observing TFT rise, which I have been stating is very slow. So again, what did the "warmer" really do after 21-22 min of the engine being at operating temp? 🤷‍♂️

1st pic cold start after maybe 14 hours not running. 2nd pic after 30 minutes idling. CT1 was reached after approx 8-9 min after start up and idling, floated for the next 21-22 min.

Attachments

· Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,772 Posts
Rigi tranny is slow warm......just like the tranny‘s in most other vehicles, no denying it. The hockey puck is not very good at cooler/exchanger either. That’s why I installed a BATC. So......what does the hockey puck do really well?

Wonder if anyone has some mazda temp numbers?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.