Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Ridgeline's towing capacity is 3500pds in 2WD and 5000pds in 4WD. I want to tow a camper that weighs more that 3500pds, how do I put the truck into full time AWD? Or does the truck figure out that it's pulling more than the 2WD capacity and make the change to ADW automatically?
Hi Neil. I tow a 3500lb Airstream Bambi with my 2017 Ridgeline AWD and have had no problems in the mountains of Colorado and California and the deserts of AZ and Utah. In fact we’re on a 3000+ Mile four week trip right now and have had no issues. I carry two conventional bicycles and one e-bike plus all our gear. I have had the transmission overheat once last May and that has been the extent of my issues. I bought it with 35000 miles on it and have 59000 miles on it now. I plan on changing the transmission lube twice as often as called for and I have oil changes every 3000-4000 miles. I’d send you a picture of my rig, but I’m not sure how to do it on this website. John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please see this post:

With 23 transmission replacements so far (not including torque converter clutch failure, torque converter clutch judder, overheating, and other reported issues), the failure rate could be close to 1.5%. You're probably looking at hundreds of transmission failures outside this forum in vehicles that are 4.5 years old or less. That, to me, seems very concerning.
Your "1.5%" equates to nearly 9000 transmission problems. Do you have any data to back that up? Otherwise, I would say that you are blowing the issue way out of proportion. That's not to say that buying a new truck with a bad transmission is excusable, but human error is eminent. It's more than likely a fluke rather than a consistent issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t post much on this blog, but I read it all the time. I’ve seen a lot about towing on here lately and everyone seems to have their own opinion, so here’s mine. It’s not really an opinion so much as my 12 years experience with a G1 Ridgeline.
My ‘08 RTX has 131K on it. More than 30k of those miles have been pulling travel trailers. A 13 foot Fun Finder, 3000 pound tow weight; a 17 foot Nash, 4100 pound tow weight; and 21 foot Heartland, 4850 pound tow weight. I weigh about 200 lbs, wife about 110 and the “pup” about 80 lbs, plus 500 to 700 pounds of extras in the bed. Never had any tranny problems. Cruising 55-60 on the freeway it will downshift to 4th gear on gentle hills and back to 5th on the level stretches. Steep grades (Cabbage Hill & Siskiyou Summit in Oregon; Whitebird Hill in Idaho) can pose more of challenge. Shifts down to 3rd gear, 45 mph @ 5500-5600 rpm. Point is, just let the RL work the way its engineered to and you will fine. I know I’m G1 & you’re G2 but the Ridgeline is a lot tougher and more rugged than most “truck” owners want to believe.
I’m 72 years old and I’ve owned a lot “trucks”. Dodges, Fords, Jimmy’s and two Chevies. This Ridgeline is by far the most versatile, capable truck I’ve ever owned. I plan on keeping it until I can’t drive anymore.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Your "1.5%" equates to nearly 9000 transmission problems. Do you have any data to back that up? Otherwise, I would say that you are blowing the issue way out of proportion. That's not to say that buying a new truck with a bad transmission is excusable, but human error is eminent. It's more than likely a fluke rather than a consistent issue.
It appears you're taking 1.5% of total number of Ridgelines sold since the 2006 model year (600,000) to arrive at the number of transmission failures (9,000) in the 2G which is not correct. I'm confident the failure rate for the 1G's transmission was nowhere near 1.5% based on the lack of reports. We simply didn't see ongoing reports of transmission and torque converter failures and overheating and judder in the first four years of the 1G like we're seeing in the 2G. Again, you won't find 24 reports of failed 1G transmissions on this forum even after 15 years.

I'm basing my estimate on the best data available to us which includes the number of registered users on this forum and the number of Ridgelines sold to estimate the percentage of Ridgeline owners who are members here. From this, we can estimate how many 2G owners are members. Using this information, we can proportion the number of reports of transmission failures (currently 24) to something closer to reality.

In my previous post, I estimated that around 5% of all Ridgeline owners are members of this forum (I think the actual number is significantly less - the general population doesn't visit automotive forums, but I'm being generous). There have been about 120,000 Ridgelines sold with the 6-speed transmission. If 6,000 of those owners are members here and there have been 24 transmission failures, then that's 0.4% and counting. If I'm being too generous and only 2% of Ridgeline owners are members of this forum, then that's 24 out of 2,400 failures or 1% and counting. This is why I believe the actual number of transmission failures in 2017-2019 Ridgelines is likely in the hundreds and climbing. The total number of Ridgelines sold with 6-speed transmissions is no longer increasing since it now has the 9-speed, but the number of failures keeps increasing.

I don't care what metric or creative math you use, the sad truth is that the 2G's transmission has a "much" higher failure rate after 4 years than the 1G's had after 15 years. Whether this is due to fundamental design flaws or inconsistent quality I cannot say for certain (I suspect it's the latter).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My trailer is 3,750 dry and that is pushing it. By the time I put the bikes, dogs and wife in the truck, plus load up the trailer, I’m maybe 300 pounds below max. That V6 is working hard, but it will do it. Probably be looking for a 3,000 pound dry weight trailer.
Good idea. I am on my 3rd Rline (2 gen 1’s & a 2020) and 2nd travel trailer, heaviest trailer was 4,000 lbs loaded but only 7’ wide. I have never experienced a hot transmission issue and I tow in the mountains. I really like the flexibility of the 9 speed trans in the 2020.

·
Registered
872 Posts
So.........who’s monitoring TFT? What are your temp numbers? Post ‘em up.

Look thru the lower grill......if you don’t see the cooler, you either have a FWD Rigi or it fell off. LOL. G1s had both OTW and OTA coolers. G2 AWD has OTA cooler only.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
34 Posts
I really hope Honda figured out the ZF9 transmissions correctly. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee ZF9 had the transmission replaced in the first 7,500 miles. And it was a bit jerky. Always thought it was the software. So far I’m pleased with the 2020 Ridgeline’s transmission but every now and then it does feel like the same jerkiness.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Believe what you want.....I’ll say it again, that hockey puck on top of the G2 tranny is a joke/farse. Monitoring fluid temps proves it is a joke.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Believe what you want.....I’ll say it again, that hockey puck on top of the G2 tranny is a joke/farse. Monitoring fluid temps proves it is a joke.
How do you know the 2G's external OTW heat exchanger isn't as effective as the 1G's in-tank OTW heat exchanger and that the real issue is the 2G's transmission is simply generating more heat than the OTW and OTA heat exchangers can deal with?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I monitor engine coolant temp, tranny fluid temp and cold radiator tank temp. The G2 6 speed tranny is very slow to warm up. When the tranny finally warms up, it can easily exceed engine coolant temp by 30*-40*, depending on driving conditions. If the tranny overheat warning displays, TFT is most likely 50*+ higher than engine coolant temp. At 50*+ highest, the hockey puck is not doing a very good job of "exchanging", is it. Again, the hockey puck on top of the tranny is a joke for warming or cooling tranny fluid. If calling it an "exchanger" gives you the warm fuzzies, then believe what you want. I call it a POS that will eventually leak engine coolant and/or tranny fluid.

Here in a month or so (cool/cold weather), it will be interesting to see some TFT posts from those that monitor TFT, for both FWD (no-cooler) Rigi's and AWD Rigi's. I'm looking for TFT numbers to compare to my FWD Rigi that now has a BATC.👌

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
The Ridgeline's towing capacity is 3500pds in 2WD and 5000pds in 4WD. I want to tow a camper that weighs more that 3500pds, how do I put the truck into full time AWD? Or does the truck figure out that it's pulling more than the 2WD capacity and make the change to ADW automatically?
Interesting discussion ! Let me Join in, with my ‘07 RTL-N, 72,000 miles ... Love the Truck, but unfortunately un-necessarily under powered. Wanted desperately to install a Supercharge, but there has not been any available for the Ridgeline ? Not happy with turbochargers, because of turbo lag.
regardless, have been towing my 24ft Sea Ray boat for over five years now. The “Blue Yonder” weighs in at approximately #4700lbs dry weight. Add fuel, water and equipment #500lbs. A double axle trailer #1300lbs.
So, actually towing around #65-6800lbs. Obviously, not going to tow this combination Cross Country ! In fact, only towing approximately 10 to 20 miles, level roads including I-5 Interstate to the Columbia River.
Handles beautifully !! No sway, straight tracking and never overheats. Would not want to travel long distances or up sharp inclines.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nice I/O rig. That photo angle really makes the Rigi look small. Don't suppose you monitor TFT, out of curiosity? Ambient temps when towing? Steep/long ramps?

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
If interested in my TFT's I've posted a graphic from the software from one of my hauls with the Steiner on the trailer over the Laurel Ridge here in Western Pa from a few weeks back. On my truck it's been fine. I haven't had the overheating issues with towing like some have had. Hence my comments there about flow rates and restrictions etc.

Steve

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Again, the hockey puck on top of the tranny is a joke for warming or cooling tranny fluid. If calling it an "exchanger" gives you the warm fuzzies, then believe what you want. I call it a POS that will eventually leak engine coolant and/or tranny fluid.
If that's true, you should see no difference in temperature readings after bypassing the device. I look forward to seeing the results after you've done so.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ain't going to happen.....I'm not in to pointless mechanicals. I'm not the least bit worried how slow the Honda tranny warms up...... all of the other vehicles, different makes/models I've monitored since 2005, TFT warmed up just as slow and they did not have a hockey puck warmer, exchanger, cooler, whatever you want to call it, on top of the tranny (except for the '17 CRV).

·
Registered
872 Posts
If interested in my TFT's I've posted a graphic from the software from one of my hauls with the Steiner on the trailer over the Laurel Ridge here in Western Pa from a few weeks back. On my truck it's been fine. I haven't had the overheating issues with towing like some have had. Hence my comments there about flow rates and restrictions etc.

Steve
Definitely interested......I may have already seen it, but my memory comes and goes.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
Not to throw more fuel on the fire here but, don't you think HOnda Transmission engineers saw the need for that small amount of heating in their trannies ? Possibly due to how their tranny is designed different to begin with ? I'm just throwing this out but isn't it possible ?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
Definitely interested......I may have already seen it, but my memory comes and goes.:eek:
Here it is. Took about an hour of hunting it down as it was "lost in space".
This was from towing for around 60 miles as a test.

Trans temps.PNG

Steve

Trans temps.PNG

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
Here's the one when i was towing my Steiner over the Laurel Mountain ridge coming up from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh.
There was one plateau there from a stop at Bedford for uh you know what!

Steve

IMG_1177.PNG

41 - 60 of 108 Posts