Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great info, thanks for taking the time to share it again.(y) I would be willing to bet the TFT rise is due to driving/towing and not from the so-called warmer, exchanger, cooler (hockey puck) on top of the tranny. Can I presume your ambient temp in Chart 1 was +/-75F and +/-45F in Chart 2?

IMO, driving has everything to do with how quickly the tranny warms up or doesn't warm up. Air flow and ambient air temp have everything to do with how cool, or not, the tranny runs.

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
One was probably out of my garage so 75 in there and the other was parked overnight at my daughters house so yes around 45.

Steve

·
Registered
873 Posts
It’s been post in this forum (also maybe “lost in space”) that engine coolant does not flow to/thru the hockey puck so called “exchanger” until engine coolant reaches 180F (t-stat just begins to open) operating temp. Wonder why that is?.......and Honda calls it a “warmer”.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hold On... Are you guys saying that the Ridgeline is no longer AWD until you reach cruising speed and then becomes FWD?!? Why would they do that??? It makes no sense... If anything they would add a feature to allow you to go AWD when you want or maybe FWD if you preferred, but not make it "Buy it this way or that"... It becomes 2 totally different drivelines!!! Economically infeasible.. ridicule-us really

·
Registered
132 Posts
It’s been post in this forum (also maybe “lost in space”) that engine coolant does not flow to/thru the hockey puck so called “exchanger” until engine coolant reaches 180F (t-stat just begins to open) operating temp. Wonder why that is?.......and Honda calls it a “warmer”.
The ATF warmer is bypassed to accelerate engine warm up. It’s more efficient to reduce the time for the engine to reach operating temperatures then it is having coolant flow though the ATF warmer below operating temperature.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The heater core is not bypassed during engine warm-up and the heater core is several times larger than the hockey puck "warmer". Engine coolant flows thru the G2 heater core the moment the engine is started and doesn't seem to affect engine warm-up.

Do you monitor TFT? I do......and I observe normal operating engine coolant temp easily being 100* higher than the very slow to rise TFT. So.......what is that so called "warmer" really doing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The heater core is not bypassed because people don’t like to be cold. The stated function of the ATF warmer is to raise the ATF temp for increased efficiency. Honda isn’t the only manufacturer using ATF warmers. I’m not sure why Honda and other manufacturers would spend the extra $ to include an ATF warmer if it didn’t work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Ridgeline's towing capacity is 3500pds in 2WD and 5000pds in 4WD. I want to tow a camper that weighs more that 3500pds, how do I put the truck into full time AWD? Or does the truck figure out that it's pulling more than the 2WD capacity and make the change to ADW automatically?
The Ridgeline's towing capacity is 3500pds in 2WD and 5000pds in 4WD. I want to tow a camper that weighs more that 3500pds, how do I put the truck into full time AWD? Or does the truck figure out that it's pulling more than the 2WD capacity and make the change to ADW automatically?
You can in fact drive the Ridgeliner AWD in two will drive. Eather the left side two wheels or the right side. Stunt drivers do it all the time.:geek:

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
The heater core is not bypassed during engine warm-up and the heater core is several times larger than the hockey puck "warmer". Engine coolant flows thru the G2 heater core the moment the engine is started and doesn't seem to affect engine warm-up.
The thermal mass of a heater core that only weighs a few pounds is far less than that of a transmission filled with two gallons of oil and is made of 250 lbs. of steel and aluminum.

Also, when the climate control will delay the ramp-up of blower speed (and thus the amount of heat removed from the engine coolant via the heater core) until the engine warms up.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
The thermal mass of a heater core that only weighs a few pounds is far less than that of a transmission filled with two gallons of oil and is made of 250 lbs. of steel and aluminum.

Also, when the climate control will delay the ramp-up of blower speed (and thus the amount of heat removed from the engine coolant via the heater core) until the engine warms up.
It's things like this that make me ask open-ended questions, like 1) if I put an aftermarket block heater on my transmission and plug it in when temps are below freezing, will my truck be more efficient when I go for a drive?, and, totally unrelated, but 2) if I put tires on the front that are 2.7% larger circumference than the rear tires, will I reduce clutch wear to the point that I could double my iVTM-4 fluid change intervals? Things that make me go hmmmmm... :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Really?......I'm taking about the hockey puck on top of the tranny.......not the tranny as a whole.🤦‍♂️ The heater core is several times larger than the hockey puck on top of the tranny.

I also monitor dash vent air temp with a thermometer and the temp of the air coming out of the vent starts to rise within seconds of engine start-up. Excellent HVAC.

Ask yourself, would the drivetrain be more efficient if it was always at normal operating temp?:unsure:;)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Our AWD Ridgeline easily tows our 1500 pound folding trailer along with 500 pounds or more in the truck itself. I would feel confident in doubling that to something up to around 3,000 pounds with that same approximate 500 pounds in the truck, (3,500 pounds total.) But, by being here the last year and a half, with what folks have shared, the Ridgeline apparently gets increasingly unhappy as weight accumulates beyond this point.
Bill
In my opinion, the Ridgeline will tow 5,000 pounds, as long as the owner is cognizant that they are operating at the extreme limit of the manufacturer's design recommendations. If you really want to tow a 5,000 pound trailer comfortably, then it would be the wiser to purchase a vehicle with a higher towing limit so that you can remain within the mid-range of that vehicles capabilities.

Bill

·
Registered
873 Posts
........and monitoring TFT with an OBDII device of some kind would be a lot cheaper than another vehicle. Maybe slow down as TFT rises.

·
Registered
873 Posts
FWIW, regarding the "warmer" on top of the tranny.......I just wasted 30 minutes of gas idling, doing a very unscientific test, if you will, observing TFT rise, which I have been stating is very slow. So again, what did the "warmer" really do after 21-22 min of the engine being at operating temp? 🤷‍♂️

1st pic cold start after maybe 14 hours not running. 2nd pic after 30 minutes idling. CT1 was reached after approx 8-9 min after start up and idling, floated for the next 21-22 min.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My trailer is 3,750 dry and that is pushing it. By the time I put the bikes, dogs and wife in the truck, plus load up the trailer, I’m maybe 300 pounds below max. That V6 is working hard, but it will do it. Probably be looking for a 3,000 pound dry weight trailer.
3750 without a load? Must be a pretty big trailer, right?

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
So again, what did the "warmer" really do after 21-22 min of the engine being at operating temp? 🤷‍♂️
Absolutely nothing. Automakers install these devices for the sole purpose of increasing complexity, cost, and the number of potential failures. This device adds absolutely no value whatsoever. :)

On a more serious note, the volume of coolant and ATF flowing through the warmer over time is minimal at idle. A much greater amount of heat can be exchanged as the flow rates of coolant and ATF increase with engine speed (around 1,500 - 3,000 RPM while driving). Also, ATF flow in the 6-speed is reduced in P, R, or N. So, there's not much heat transfer taking place at idle when the transmission is in park.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I believe he is talking about a furnished camping trailer.
Oh....now it seems obvious, but thank you. I've been researching utility trailers and am kinda stuck in that mode.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts