Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Rigi tranny is slow warm......just like the tranny‘s in most other vehicles, no denying it. The hockey puck is not very good at cooler/exchanger either. That’s why I installed a BATC. So......what does the hockey puck do really well?

Wonder if anyone has some mazda temp numbers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just returned from a trip in our 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, towing an Airstream Nest. The Nest weighed around 3,800 pounds loaded. We also had the truck bed and back seat area loaded with stuff. We towed over 10,000 miles, wandering from northeast Florida to Glacier National Park in northwest Montana, and back. Never had any problems. However, we're retired and in no hurry. We avoided interstates/freeways and kept our speed around 55 mph. We also didn't drive much more than 200 miles each day, jumping from one state park to another.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Back to the ORIGINAL question ... how does AWD alone increase the towing capacity of the RL ? Same motor, same HP, same torque as when FWD. RL.
Towing doesn’t cause wheel slippage on hard surfaces, so what’s happening to engage AWD ?
Gen 1 and Gen 2 AWD RLs would act the same as far as wheel engagement goes...correct ??

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My understanding, with the added weight of a trailer attached to the rear, this takes the weight off of front tires, which are the drive tires on the Ridgeline and loss of weight here translates to loss of traction if FWD only? Also, it has been suggested that the added drive train of the AWD adds structural rigidity. How close am I?

Bill

·
Registered
872 Posts
Do 9 speed FWD Rigi's come with a factory installed tranny cooler???? Six speed G2 FWD's do not. If 9 speeds don't either, I would suspect that's the main reason for the 2 tow rating numbers.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Then that's probably the main reason for tow rating differences.

·
Registered
872 Posts
But FWD's have a big ol' rear sway bar back there for stability. I'm sure there are some minor factors regarding AWD......but having a tranny cooler (AWD) vs not having one (FWD) has to be a major, probably the biggest, factor in the two different tow ratings.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
There are apparently suspension differences between the FWD and AWD as well since the latter has 0.6" more ground clearance and overall height.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Seems like some folks have done 1”-2” drops on their AWDs..........that should reduce their tow capacity, no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. So it's safe to assume that the AWD will handle the 5000 pd towing capacity then, is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. I have AWD and of course it's always on. The truck handles 5k lbs with no difficulties. Rock solid. I'd love greater towing capacity, but Honda would have to go V8. I don't see that happening unless they decide to go after the full-size market.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Yes, that's correct. I have AWD and of course it's always on. The truck handles 5k lbs with no difficulties. Rock solid. I'd love greater towing capacity, but Honda would have to go V8. I don't see that happening unless they decide to go after the full-size market.
Number of cylinders has little to do with power in modern vehicles. Honda's own turbo 4 handily spanks their V6 in power/torque output, particularly at lower rpms.

Granted, there would be more stress on the turbo 4 vs the V6 when towing, but the turbo 4 will get there faster. If you're towing at max for a long duration, then the naturally-aspirated V6 would probably be better from a durability standpoint. This is why Ford does not offer the EcoBoost on their HD trucks.

All of that aside, rest assured that power is not the limiting factor in Honda's tow rating. If anything, it may be the likelihood of the transmission and/or iVTM-4 clutches to overheat when towing max loads in strenuous conditions.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The 3.5L F150 is rated at 14K lbs towing......that’s pretty ballsie.:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
The 3.5L F150 is rated at 14K lbs towing......that’s pretty ballsie.:eek:
And the base 3.5L (non-turbo) F150 is rated to tow a whopping 5100lbs.

According to most internet truck owners, 5000lbs towing does not a truck make, so Ford gave it an extra hondo for good measure. 😁

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
They did. It was used through the 2019 model year in various models. The base engine in the F-150 is currently a 3.3L V6 which replaced a 3.5L V6 which replaced a 3.7L V6 - all variants of the Cyclone/Duratec V6.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts