Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. :)

I'm in the process of trying to find a specific model/color Ridgeline to purchase and it looks like I'm going to need to order one. I want to order the RTL-E with ONLY the tonneau cover added, but the dealer has a list of set add-ons that they put on every new vehicle. In addition to the add-on list below, they also charge nearly $700 for an administrative fee. That seems really high to me.

Have any of you been able to buy without any dealer add-ons?

Here is the list that they are including:
  1. Digishield (interior/exterior protectant??) $530
  2. All Season Floor Mats $260
  3. Window Tint $500
  4. Mud Guards $410
  5. Trunk Tray $190

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where I bought mine, the dealer does do add-ons; however, since mine was traded from another dealership, I was adamant that I wanted NO additional add-ons when it arrived, and the dealer obliged my request. In your case, I would find another dealer if they won't change their sales tactics (which seem excessive).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where I bought mine, the dealer does do add-ons; however, since mine was traded from another dealership, I was adamant that I wanted NO additional add-ons when it arrived, and the dealer obliged my request. In your case, I would find another dealer if they won't change their sales tactics (which seem excessive).
Thank you! I haven't purchased a new vehicle in years so I wasn't sure if the add-on thing was flexible or not.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi everybody! I've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. :)

I'm in the process of trying to find a specific model/color Ridgeline to purchase and it looks like I'm going to need to order one. I want to order the RTL-E with ONLY the tonneau cover added, but the dealer has a list of set add-ons that they put on every new vehicle. In addition to the add-on list below, they also charge nearly $700 for an administrative fee. That seems really high to me.

Have any of you been able to buy without any dealer add-ons?

Here is the list that they are including:
  1. Digishield (interior/exterior protectant??) $530
  2. All Season Floor Mats $260
  3. Window Tint $500
  4. Mud Guards $410
  5. Trunk Tray $190
Find another dealer. Here is what I am paying, Ceramic window tint for two $150.00, splash guards all the way around installed $170.00, trunk tray $56.00 and floor matts $159.00. The interior protectant is a rip off IMO. And last but not least, administration fee $599.00 which is also a rip off but they knocked $500.00 of of MSRP so it does not hurt to bad.LOL

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
107 Posts
If the Digishield is actually installed you probably don't have as much wiggle room there and same with the window tint. The Honda Accessories are a different story. I would get the prices from College Hills Honda or similar and tell them that is what you'll pay for the ones you actually want. How much you are willing to negotiate on these points is entirely dependent on how much you want this truck as they probably aren't in much of a mood to haggle in this environment.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Honda dealers, of all of the new car dealers I have dealt with, seem to have the most dealer add ons. The 4 or 5 new lots I visited all had some form of add on for all of the new vehicles. I assume this is because Honda MSRP is not marked up as high as some others, perhaps. So this is just an additional buffer for negotiation.

The problem you will have right now is that with the high demand of new vehicles, they don't have to budge on price as much. If you don't buy at their price, someone is going to come in behind you and buy it and they know that. You may be able to get them to come off on some of it, but most likely there is a limit to how far down they will go. You need to find the bottom line. Realistically, it is probably best to find what you want to pay and negotiate to that. Forget line item details. When I was buying my RL, albeit used, we agreed upon a price and the dealer said they had to sell their Zaktek paint protection with all vehicles. I told them I would not pay for it so if they wanted to take the $200 off the bottom line and add a line for it that was fine with me as long as our agreed upon price was the same. That is what they did and I got my truck.

Also, there is no "ordering" a new one from the factory in the traditional sense. The best you would be able to do is find one that is allocated to a dealer in the configuration you want. The problem with that is they know you want it and are probably not going to move on price much.

Reactions: Mik

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never used a car buying service untill my 2021 BE. I went through Costco and was given a price of $750.00 over invoice (about 2400.00 under retail) I only wanted the bed cover, splash guards, sill protectors, trunk dividers and mats. Dealer added another 1000.00 in tinting paint protection etc. Told them I only wanted what I had asked for. They took all the xtras off but still did the paint protection with 3 years reapplication for free (or not). I have been told Costco does whatever necessary to make members happy and maybe this is why the dealer was so agreeable. It wasn't a huge profit generator for them, no add ons, no trade and paid cash so no finance hold backs.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
614 Posts
I bought my truck with the instructions NO EXTRAS! Whoever prepped it installed mud flaps, door edge guards, and a crappy job at door handle protection, which I immediately removed. Luckily I didn't pay for any of this. I had my window guy ceramic tint my front windows and a windshield strip, $150 total. While i was their, a local dealer brought a Ram 2500 up to get it tinted for a customer, when the tint guy asked what he wanted, the salesman replied the cheapest, this was only a $70,000 truck. A full set of floormats costs $139 for front and rear, and are far better than Honda's.

·
Registered
Obsidian Blue Pearl 2021 RTL-E
51 Posts
I told our dealer that I wanted no add ons, and outside of the stupid brake light flashing module they installed (but I didn't pay for), they obliged.

During normal times, I'd say all this stuff is negotiable, but now... Dealers are trying to make a profit any way they can. My son tried to buy a car from the same dealer about 3 months after I bought my RL, and they would not negotiate on add ons at that point. He even told them about my car when they insisted that they put add-ons on every vehicle, no matter what. They went and pulled my sales record, saw he was telling the truth, and still said they wouldn't budge. He walked out, found another dealer that doesn't install add-ons but was a little further away, and bought there instead.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
614 Posts
My dealer tried the flashing brake light install on mine also (Pulse), and I told him "This isn't a fire truck, and don't modify my factory wiring or you can keep it", they didn't install it (a $350 charge).

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a related topic is the ELO GPS ($995) and/or the Clearshield package (also $995) worth anything close to those additional costs or are they pure dealer profit add ons?

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
614 Posts
On a related topic is the ELO GPS ($995) and/or the Clearshield package (also $995) worth anything close to those additional costs or are they pure dealer profit add ons?
If you want clear paint protection I would strongly suggest going to a place that specializes in it. Their are many different products out, and if done wrong it won't look good to say the least. If you want hood protection you need to have the whole hood done, the "bra" type doesn't look bad on black, but on a light color like white it may turn yellow in a couple of years. When I picked up my Ridgeline, and they had door edge strips and the door handle pockets done. I left the edge strips on, but the handle pockets were full of air bubbles and looked like crap, they came off, and I didn't pay for any of it, they messed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts