Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the video URL:

As you see towards the beginning of the video, it shows the under carriage of the vehicle. You can see the in-bed trunk compartment underneath.. it seems to be just the same plastic as on the top side? Could someone easily saw through it to get to your goods from underneath?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
My thought is that if somebody is so committed they are going to take the time to saw something open you are going to have a hard time stopping them period. I guess it would be possible as you can get to the underside of the trunk fairly easily, but how plausible is it? Also, how many thieves actually know that it's a Ridgeline and a trunk? I just bought one and had no idea that was a feature of the first gen! ?

Are you thinking of it as more secure storage than the cab?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
they would probably steal the truck first. How would they know what is in the trunk to make it worth while sawing into it?

Reactions: FTM1

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
A thief breaking into vehicles want's to do it quick.
Unless they got a look out they are not going to lay on ground and do stuff.
They are in an awkward spot on the ground getting caught.
I think this would be harder than the ones sawing off cat converters or stealing wheels.
As said how they know what's in the trunk and why take the time.
Most don't even know Ridgeline have trunks.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Yup.... 1) a thief word have to know something pretty valuable is in there...otherwise not worth their time... 2) if you're concerned about it, put a steel liner in the trunk and really pi$$ the thief off.... :p

·
Registered
970 Posts
Most don't even know Ridgeline have trunks.
Agree with others as well as above. If you want to take even greater advantage of the above, get a bed mat which conceals the seam. A non-issue for me in 10 years of owning a G1 (picking up G2 today!)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
11 years of ownership and that has never been a concern.

I guess my only suggestion would be, don't place valuables in it and then return to shopping, as happens a lot at Christmas time in mall parking lots.

If where your parking it is that questionable don't even open it in those locations, have what you need in the cab or bed and take said items with you

And the suggestions above, bedrug and steel liner, (both great ideas) maybe even look into getting a custom steel outer shell built for it. I mean hell, once you spend $30-$40k+ on the vehicle, what's another $1000+ on an outer shell for the in bed trunk

EDIT: OP, It's not plastic, it's composite material and pretty stout stuff, and the G2 Is better than the G1, maybe check out the "ROCK DROP VIDEO"

Honda Ridgeline challenges competition

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If it is tougher then the g1...It will take a while to cut any hole big enough to pull something valuable through. Def not a concern. Just dont park in any dark alleys for awhile

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned, especially if the G1 owners have never seemed to have had this issue....

Now, that being said, I wouldn't take hundreds of ounces of gold and just lock them in the bed trunk, thinking they were as secure as being in a vault somewhere...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
This concern is a non-starter. If you would leave your items in a regular sedan trunk, then they are fine in the RL trunk.

It's a LOT easier to pop a sedan trunk with a crowbar or ???, than it would be to cut into or otherwise break into the RL trunk from underneath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts