Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am still not convinced that I need new speakers for my truck, I listen to the radio on 7 most of that time. However, I am at least willing to consider it as something of a project to do that would maybe improve my enjoyment of the XM and other audio features of the vehicle. So I have heard people going on about Infinity and Boston Acoustic 6.5" speakers. What I have to ask is what are opinions of the quality of other speakers, like Pioneer or Alpine? In other words, what is it about the Infinity and Boston Acoustic that make them good and these other speakers not so good? I am not the type of person who is going to go out and listen to the speakers in cars and notice a major difference in tonal quality at first. I can't go sit in sound rooms and say those are great speakers, because generally everything sounds a little distorted in most of these places and the guy showing them off insists on cranking the sound so loud that you lose any quality in the sound anyway. I guess I look like the type who wants to blast the windows out the back of my truck. I am not, I listen to more classical music than I do hard rock/rap.

Mostly what I would like to do is find a way to get rid of the tinny quality of sound when using XM, or maybe XM in a Ridgeline just sounds that way. I am guessing right now that is the speakers, but maybe it is more. I listen to a radio station which is really out of range for where I live but I get it in good enough to hear everything with just a little static here and there. That being the case I can't really judge sound quality in this situation. This isn't to say I don't like good sound. For instance I have Cambridge Soundworks high end computer speakers which sound great for little cubes. My home theater system is a Bose system (which people either like or hate for sound quality, I happen to find Bose systems very good for sound reproduction), and my older systems are Pioneer which is all I could afford in college but are pretty good for their price (I also have some 15 year old Advent Baby II speakers, but they don't count anymore).

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You can't just compare manufacturer to manufacturer. You have to consider the various product lines that each manufacturer offers. Taking the best products from each manufacturer, JMHO:

Pioneer, Alpine, Jensen, etc. - They custom design their speakers for mass production. They are a good product that will meet all specs. Typically designed for drop-in replacements to stock systems. High volume, high margin. Flat response and soundstage are secondary to playing loud.

BA, Infinity, Polk, etc. - Higher end custom designed products that may have unique design elements (i.e. Infinity EMIT). They tend to be aimed at semi-custom (off the shelf aftermarket) designed systems using outboard amplifiers. Will meet or exceed all specs. Mid volume, mid margin. Flat response and soundstage are part of the equation.

Morel, JL, MB Quart etc. - High end products that are designed for full custom applications to be used only with outboard amplifiers. They sacrifice efficiency for sound quality. They can be tough to fit in stock locations. Really designed for a custom, ground up system. Typically overdesigned and will exceed all specs. Low volume, high margin. Flat response and soundstage, as well as high power handling are critical.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts