Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
You have to purchase them seperate.
I suggest, unless you are very technologically and electrically inclined, to have the dealer or someone who knows what they are doing install the harness. It is long, difficult and you have to go under the dash board. I am, of course, not saying you can't, I just don't know you and I want to help.
I watched the dealer install mine and I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping I can negotiate it into the deal. My current truck is a '97 F150 which I bought new. I think I've used the hitch a total of 2 times (maybe 3), so I don't pull stuff often but feel it would be a nice "just in case" to have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought the wiring was standard.

In a brochure I have it states that the "Standard Towing Features" incude:

Pre-wired for 4- and 7-pin connectors
Pre-wired for trailer brake controller
Etc, etc.

Am I misunderstanding this? Are these things installed by the dealer and DO NOT come already on the truck or does the terminology mean something other than what I think it does?

Thanks for the clarification.

L

·
0 Posts
I think it is standard for the towing apparatus that you need.
The truck is pre-wired under the dash but the length of wire still needs to sent from the hitch to the dash.
Does that help????

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ya, thanks. The way it is worded in the brochure, it sounds like the plugs and everything is right there at the hitch point. Guess not huh )-:

·
Registered
536 Posts
No wires need to be routed from the hitch to the dash.

For the hitch, there is a connector near the taillights, you just plug in the 7-pin sub-harness to this connector.

Under the dash it's also plug and play for an additional relay or two and a sub-harness for the brake controller (you supply your own brake controller, if needed)

Check out the instructions online before deciding if you want to do this yourself or have the dealer do it.

I beleive that "Tow ready" means that the truck already has features such as a battery and 4 tires, an engine, and other items needed for towing :D

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
The truck also has power steering and tramsmission coolers that are upgraded for towing so no extra cooling needs to be installed. Also, I believe the radiator has 2 heavy-duty fans to assist in engine cooling for towing.

I do agree that it is strange that the truck did not come with a hitch as standard equipment.

·
Registered
419 Posts
"Tow Ready" means the transmission and power steering coolers were installed upon assembly at the factory...

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Nicholas,

Great minds think alike! :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Also if one plans on some serious towing, you really need to consider a "full size" spare tire. The manual states if you have a flat tire on the tow vehicle you shouldn't tow with the compact spare. Last thing I want to do is drop my trailer off on the side of the road somewhere unprotected. :eek:

L

·
0 Posts
The dealer installed my hitch but not the harness because it wasn't in yet. 03/01/2005.
They told me it would not work without the seperate harness because there but nothing to plug the wires from our trailer in to. It had to be wired from the hitch/bracket to the dash. Am I missing something here or did I waste money?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
ladyridge said:
The dealer installed my hitch but not the harness because it wasn't in yet. 03/01/2005.
They told me it would not work without the seperate harness because there but nothing to plug the wires from our trailer in to. It had to be wired from the hitch/bracket to the dash. Am I missing something here or did I waste money?
No money wasted, you had to have it if you want brake lights and turn signals. The wording can be confusing but Honda did include the main wiring from dash to back but you still have to buy the harness to make the last bit of connections on each end.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Adding to the confusion is that the "hitch" is available as either a "tow hitch" and "wiring harness", or as a "tow package", which includes both. You need what's in the package if you want to have your towing set up the "Honda way". It doesn't mean that you will need the "wiring harness" if you choose an aftermarket hitch. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to settle down later this month and I'll make my choice then whether to go with factory or aftermarket, and in what flavor.

L

·
0 Posts
They only charged me for the hitch itself until the harness arrived then I paid for the harness. They gave me a great deal too since I had to wait. :D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ladyridge said:
They only charged me for the hitch itself until the harness arrived then I paid for the harness. They gave me a great deal too since I had to wait. :D
Oh...I thought you'd never gone back for the wiring harness by your post.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a harness on my Tacoma that just plugged in to the rear tail lights. It was easy and inexpensive....amybe that will come out soon from the aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts