Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I'm considering having my bed sprayed with Line-X, I know the interior bed panels are a composite material! However anyone who knows a truck owner who has installed a spray on bed liner knows the benefits! I have a friend who has Line-X in his truck bed and shovels and pitch forks have not been able to damage the bed, the coating is similar to a rubberized coating, I've seen people stand back and hurl cinderblocks into the back of the bed without causing any damage. The coating is also impervious to almost all chemical compounds like fuels and most oils, I'm not sure how or what damage it would cause to the composite panels. I've already got pricing on spraying it in black, also adding uv protection, and also for spraying the interior of the bed in the Honda Silver by matching the coating to the truck VIN #. Anyone else explore this option, I know the panels can be replaced if damaged, however I'm afraid to ask Honda what the cost is for just one of the multiple panels that can be replaced!

Gonzo

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
That is a darn good question. I'm sure that if you ask Honda, they will say that Line-X is not necessary. However, I can see your point about wanting extra protection. I wonder if there would be any warranty issues with treating your bed in this manner.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The concern I would have is that the bed is designed so the various panels are removeable, unlike a typical pickup. I would think that spraying the bed would glue the panels together.

For example I'm installing a rear camera and several panels have to be removed for the wiring of the camera. I also don't know if panels need to be removed for any service (rear shocks, etc?)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with the local franchise owner; he is failure with the Honda Ridgeline, although his operation has not seen one yet (He did crawl under the truck and was impressed with Honda’s wheel well and under body undercoating). The spray on coating will not hinder the removal of the panels, it will also not hinder the in trunk beds ability to channel and remove water, these areas will be taped off. All mounting screws and bed plugs are also removed and areas taped prior to spraying. I am concerned about damaging the composite panels while hauling cargo like rock, bricks cinderblock, etc. I have a hard time thinking that cargo sliding around in the bed will not gouge or damage the panels.

So fellow owners what do you think? Am I paranoid or over protective of my 35+K investment!!!

Gonzo

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think i would use the bed as it is, and see how well it holds up. If it it gets scratched badly you can spray it with the Rhino stuff, and you'll never know it was scratched to begin with. Honda made this composite to take some abuse. Test it out.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Gonzo said:
I spoke with the local franchise owner; he is failure with the Honda Ridgeline, although his operation has not seen one yet (He did crawl under the truck and was impressed with Honda’s wheel well and under body undercoating). The spray on coating will not hinder the removal of the panels, it will also not hinder the in trunk beds ability to channel and remove water, these areas will be taped off. All mounting screws and bed plugs are also removed and areas taped prior to spraying. I am concerned about damaging the composite panels while hauling cargo like rock, bricks cinderblock, etc. I have a hard time thinking that cargo sliding around in the bed will not gouge or damage the panels.
Gonzo
Honda actually says a liner is not recommended, not sure why though. The bed floor is made of structural fiberglass and polyvinyl ester resin. The side walls are steel but coated with the no-slip surface texture as the bed floor is. There is a video somewhere of a front loader dumping a bunch of big rocks in the bed. They did this also to the Tacoma which observers said the bed looked look someone took a sledge hammer to it while the Honda bed was unscathed. That's about as much as I know on the subject.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We don't reccomend spraying any aftermarket liner material over the SMC bed for several reasons. The first being the possibility of the material interfering with the trunk lid operation. The gaps around the lid are very small and the spray in liner material could prevent the lid from opening/closing correctly without rubbing. In addition, the extra weight of the spray in liner material on the lid would change the center of gravity and would possibly prevent the hinge springs from lifting the lid properly. Finally, the SMC material is allready coated with an extremly durable paint with a non-slip additive. It was tested in many conditions and will stand up to abuse very well.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Honda_Designer said:
We don't reccomend spraying any aftermarket liner material over the SMC bed for several reasons. The first being the possibility of the material interfering with the trunk lid operation. The gaps around the lid are very small and the spray in liner material could prevent the lid from opening/closing correctly without rubbing. In addition, the extra weight of the spray in liner material on the lid would change the center of gravity and would possibly prevent the hinge springs from lifting the lid properly. Finally, the SMC material is allready coated with an extremly durable paint with a non-slip additive. It was tested in many conditions and will stand up to abuse very well.

I have to tell you that I already have a scratch that penetrated the factory coating. I was moving a small dresser and sliding it on the floor of the bed created the scratch. I would be interested in knowing if Honda plans on producing a touch up material just like your typical touch up paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the scratch. The paint is durable but not indestructable and some scratchs over the life of the vehicle are possible. With the non-slip additive in the paint, you might find that what looks like a scratch is actually residue from the object carried. Often a wipe with a damp cloth will clean things up. If it is a cosmetic scratch, it will not lead to corrosion (as they would on a steel bed) and will not reduce the capability of the bed. Dealers should be able to provide you with a touch up paint for cosmetic purposes, please check locally. However, It might take a while for the service depts to carry the touch up paint.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I also scuffed my bed, but was able to rub out most of the mark. There was a little spot that didn't come out (maybe 1/2 inch). I took a Sharpie and colored in and then immediately wiped it down so the black wasn't quite as deep. I wouldn't recommend this for large fixes but it was ok for a small one.

I'm sure I will be getting the touch-up paint when its available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have tried my darndest to scratch my bed with all the stuff I haul, but I haven't been successful yet. Seems to be pretty indestructable!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd love to see that. The Toyota commercials where they say how tough it is cracked me up. They have a guy hit it with a wooden mallet, an ATV do a burnout and a bunch of water dumped in it. I don't think any of those things are that hard on it and I've never felt the need to do any of them in a truck.

-Trevor

vertrkr said:
There is a video somewhere of a front loader dumping a bunch of big rocks in the bed. They did this also to the Tacoma which observers said the bed looked look someone took a sledge hammer to it while the Honda bed was unscathed. That's about as much as I know on the subject.

·
Registered
114 Posts
RIDGE...I can't say i never saw that coming! :D
as for the durability of the bed...I know they have done similar test to composite beds on ford,toyota,GM and Honda vehicles using the rock loading test. The RL is the only one that wasn't totally destroyed...actually stood up very well :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on my scratched bed. I've never owned a truck before so it's hard for me to get used to imperfections on a 3 week old vehicle. I'll try the motor oil or sharpie remedy and watch for the touch-up paint!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts