Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey from Atlanta!

I am in the market for a Ridgeline and stumbled onto this site. Firstly, this forum is very helpful and informative so a “thanks” to the members.

I am very alarmed by the problems that existing customers are having....especially the water leak. After reviewing some threads, it seems that most dealerships are being either ignorant, evasive, or deceitful in dealing with customers. Of course, the dealer I’m negotiating with says there is no widespread problem, but it appears there is. Not only that, the fixes range from swapping windshields to caulking and everything in between. I was hoping that Honda would have recognized the pattern and established a fix.

My questions:

Does anyone know if Honda fixed this problem at the factory, and if the recently built trucks are testing well? Or will all the ones on the lot or on the way suffer the same fate?

I would also like to know if the NAVI option is worth it, and some real world gas mileage figures.

I was ready to purchase this week, but this problem has really spooked me. This will be my first foreign vehicle...EVER

Thanks for your time in responding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't worry! MANY MANY more Ridgelines have been built, sold and enjoyed than have had problems with leaking. Mine does not leak, has no wind noise and so far is as close to perfect as can be. If it did leak or have one of the other problems I would expect Honda would deal with it, and certainly do so better and faster than one of the domestics. I normally never post, because it seems a little silly to say "still love it" every two days, but IF I was having a problem, I might be posting every two days saying it was not resolved yet... if you catch my drift.

My real world milage (everything from 70 to 80 MPH and combined city highway) is about 23 canadian mpg.. so what is that? About 18/19 US Mpg? Pretty reasonable given my driving and enjoyment. It keeps going up as I drive it. (I now have 7500km on it,,4700 miles)

I didn't think the Nav package was worth it for me, so can't comment on it.

I have never bought a new anything, and had always been a Domestic kind of guy previously, so the import thing is new to me as well, however I couldn't ignore the resale value, and then the features of the Ridgeline just impressed the heck out of me.

I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't be spooked, I bought my RL 2mo ago and its been flawlless... As far as the NAV is concerned... I live in a dense area where traffic can show up at any time... the NAV is great for this purpose... for eg: input go home, if stuck in traffic, take nearest exit and it will calculate another route. I didnt think I would use it much... but I use it alot. The database is extensive, so it can search for the nearest restaurants, gas sta. atms, parks... I can go on and on. I'm an information freak... if you think outside the BOX, it really is a great tool!!! Honda went gizmo crazy with this NAV if youre patient and learn to use the features (wich will take sometime), it will be a pricelless. I also like the touch screen, its alot easier to use than the radio... Its a Honda... just let go!!! Oh yeah... NAVI is better in RED.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I must insist that BLUE is the color that brings the most happiness. I have a big grin right now thinking about my sparkling beauty.

Get the Ridgeline with NAVI. You will love it. I use it constantly, even when I know where we're going. It's invaluable when you don't know where you're going.

We just spent three weeks in Canada and not having NAV was a drag. We missed it terribly.

We got our RL April 29th. We just flipped past 10,000 miles on it. We average about 18-19 mpg in town. Our best tank gave us 21.5.

We have NONE of the drastic problems that have been posted here. Dry as a bone, no windshield noise and the steering wheel does not creak.

This is an awesome truck. I hope you've taken a test drive. If not, get to a dealership and take it for a spin. You're gonna love it!

Get the NAV.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Atlanta said:
Hey from Atlanta!

I am in the market for a Ridgeline and stumbled onto this site. Firstly, this forum is very helpful and informative so a “thanks” to the members.

I am very alarmed by the problems that existing customers are having....especially the water leak. After reviewing some threads, it seems that most dealerships are being either ignorant, evasive, or deceitful in dealing with customers. Of course, the dealer I’m negotiating with says there is no widespread problem, but it appears there is. Not only that, the fixes range from swapping windshields to caulking and everything in between. I was hoping that Honda would have recognized the pattern and established a fix.

My questions:

Does anyone know if Honda fixed this problem at the factory, and if the recently built trucks are testing well? Or will all the ones on the lot or on the way suffer the same fate?

I would also like to know if the NAVI option is worth it, and some real world gas mileage figures.

I was ready to purchase this week, but this problem has really spooked me. This will be my first foreign vehicle...EVER

Thanks for your time in responding.
The leak problems were corrected some time ago, VINs greater than 16000. It was associated with a incorrect seal on the windshield on the darker color paint where the factory robot could not see the contrast correctly between the seal and the body paint.

Its not really a foreign car, designed in the US and built in Canada. Perhaps you mean Honda being a Japanese company. A large part of their vehichles are made in the US however.

The navigation is useful if you need a mapquest equivalent built into the vehicle. Its expensive but so is any aftermarket nav.

·
Registered
993 Posts
All I can say is that I am trouble free after 7 months and 7,000 miles. I've done alot of highway driving lately, and I'm getting about 21 mpg on the nose. Around town, I'm getting around 19 mpg.

We're very pleased with every aspect of our Ridgeline experience so far. I agree with "Redline", People with no problems don't tend to keep posting "I love it" all the time.

I made the decision to buy the RL after researching everything to death. It was apparent the RL was superior to everything else. Ironically, the owners 05 Toyota Tacoma and the RL have reported the same two problems (windnoise and water leak in cabin). Honda and Toyota are the two best auto makers in the world. Your better off with them then any of the others.

I can't promise you won't have any problems. After all, we live on the planet earth, anything and everything can go to sh*t sometime.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My vehicle has never leaked. I get 19 mph with mixed driving. We are glad we made the purchase. The blue is a great color.

L

·
0 Posts
Hey Atlanta..
Nothing is life is perfect and if you find it, call us.

Although I have had a water leak, creaky steering wheel which repaired itself, bumper paint bubbles and a popping "this is not an ashtray" compartment which has fixed itself, I too like Truckin' get a smile on my face every time I think of my SILVER beauty ( which is Honda's preferred color BTW ) HOW'S THAT FOR A RUN ON SENTENCE!!?? :D
To be honest, I have to sit and think for a minute what trouble I have had. That's how trivial it is to me.
This is my first American/Rice Burner and I could not be happier with the style, handling, versatility, safety and fuel mileage. I have 21K on my girl today and purchased her March 2.
Let me put this into perspective for you.
"Offer me a million bucks for my Honda Ridgeline and I will turn you down without hesitation."
That's how much I believe in this vehicle.
I hope we have helped UNspook you!! :D You won't be sorry.
NOW...as for this site, you can't find a better compilation of stronger personalities who adore this vehicle and will help at the drop of a dime and give you the skinny on every aspect.
You have come to the right truck and the right forum.
IMMHOOC
( In my most humble opinion of course )
LadyRidge

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't be alarmed. People don't post unless there are problems. There are many many more owners out there that have no issues. Forums like these tend make things seem real bad (read any automotive forums, even Lexus). But forums like these are for trouble shooting, so keep that in mind as you read about the problems.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote from LadyRidge: Let me put this into perspective for you.
"Offer me a million bucks for my Honda Ridgeline and I will turn you down without hesitation."

Unlike LadyRidge, if you offer me a million bucks, I will part with my Ridge. buy one of each color Ridgeline all w/NAV, Moonroof, pay off my house, pay off all my bills, and give you change back!!! :D

Seriously, I picked up Tex's Ridge on March 23. Love it more everyday. My wife is jealous, because I pamper the Ridge more than her. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't understand how Gary Flint is getting 22.6mpg doing 70-75. When I was traveling at that speed, it was more like 16.5mpg for me. I backed it down to 68-69 and increased my speeds at a gradual rate rather than jump starts, and the absolute best I've seen is 19.2. This is mostly highway and approx 14,750 on it so far. Is he doing something else that I should be aware of? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked mine up three weeks ago (RTL w/o Nav) No problems at all. Looking back, I wish I purchased the Nav. Not only for obvious reasons but that model also provides you with a direct input for your MP3 device

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
I can't understand how Gary Flint is getting 22.6mpg doing 70-75. When I was traveling at that speed, it was more like 16.5mpg for me. I backed it down to 68-69 and increased my speeds at a gradual rate rather than jump starts, and the absolute best I've seen is 19.2. This is mostly highway and approx 14,750 on it so far. Is he doing something else that I should be aware of? :confused:
I generally drive 75 and get around 20 mpg on the interstate. Absolute best was 21.7 on a day I had to drive slower due to traffic. I've got just over 13,100 on my RL now.

I'm not sure how some of these people are getting 22 to 24 mpg. I do recall, however, that Gary Flint has the Tonneau Cover on his bed, which probably helps mileage some.

My day to day driving nets around 18 mpg.

·
Registered
578 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
Not that hard, I get 22.5mpg averaging 70-75mph.
It's not the speed you travel, it is your acceleration. If you vary speed often, you will not hit MPG goals. It sounds to me like you were changing speeds a lot, passing often, or accelerating relatively aggressively.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
swampler said:
I generally drive 75 and get around 20 mpg on the interstate. Absolute best was 21.7 on a day I had to drive slower due to traffic. I've got just over 13,100 on my RL now.

I'm not sure how some of these people are getting 22 to 24 mpg. I do recall, however, that Gary Flint has the Tonneau Cover on his bed, which probably helps mileage some.

My day to day driving nets around 18 mpg.
I went to Cape Cod from CT and got 23.5 mpg: slow acceleration and max speed 55-60 mph. Normal driving is 17 mpg. I have the OEM tonneau cover. It does'nt help mpg. Maybe because the weight of it (75-100 lbs?) cancels the gains from less drag?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Ridge said:
I agree with "Redline", People with no problems don't tend to keep posting "I love it" all the time.
I don't know about that. A high percentage of my postings say, "I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!" The same can be said for LadyRidge and several more of our more demonstrative prolific posters. Look at this Honda Whore thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921&highlight=honda+whore

Search: Love this truck and you get over 500 subject threads.

Far more people post about things they love/like, but the complaints get more attention.

L

·
0 Posts
Truckin' said:
I don't know about that. A high percentage of my postings say, "I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!" The same can be said for LadyRidge and several more of our more demonstrative prolific posters. Look at this Honda Whore thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921&highlight=honda+whore

Search: Love this truck and you get over 500 subject threads.

Far more people post about things they love/like, but the complaints get more attention.
Yeah..I'm a Honda whore!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL
I love it.
:D

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had my BLUE Ridgeline for 4 months. I have never regretted it, not for one moment. I've had none of the water leakage problems, nor wind noise.

Every time I go somewhere in my truck, I love it more :)

I get between 18-20 mpg. Depends on if my husband drives it or not... get a little lower with his heavy foot on the accelerator at the starts!

As far as the Navi goes, love it. It is wonderful for getting you around traffic jams or just "go home" when you are leaving somewhere you are not real sure about directions.

Good luck and good shopping!

L

·
0 Posts
Kellcut said:
I've had my BLUE Ridgeline for 4 months. I have never regretted it, not for one moment. I've had none of the water leakage problems, nor wind noise.

Every time I go somewhere in my truck, I love it more :)

I get between 18-20 mpg. Depends on if my husband drives it or not... get a little lower with his heavy foot on the accelerator at the starts!

As far as the Navi goes, love it. It is wonderful for getting you around traffic jams or just "go home" when you are leaving somewhere you are not real sure about directions.

Good luck and good shopping!
Yes...good shopping...and as in the Wizard Of Oz...pay no attention to what's behind that BLUE curtain!!
:) :D ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts