Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Question on $1000 dealer incentive and trading in a Volvo XC

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  captmiddy 
#1 ·
As a long-time lurker, I would like to thank everyone for all of the great information. I'll be buying an RTS this week and have a question about the $1000 factory to dealer incentive and our trade in.

Does anyone know if the dealer receives this incentive on all trucks they sell after 10/4 (including those delivered to the dealer prior to 10/4) or do they only receive this incentive on trucks they have delivered to their lots after 10/4?

The reason that I ask is that the dealer that I have bought several Honda's from in the past has a dozen Ridgelines on the lot that have been there for up to 3 months and they (not surprisingly) don't have any new shipments planned for the near future. While they have been very flexible on the price, they are still about $900 more than the local volume dealer that has had several deliveries since 10/4.

Also, has anyone had any luck trading in a Volvo XC? I've had 6 dealers look at it and they all give it a trade in value of around $12k . (Note: To eliminate the typical trade-in games played, this valuation was given by each dealer after negotiating the RTS to invoice.) According to several online sites, its value should be much higher: Edmunds ($16140) and KBB ($13375). Ads for cars with similar mileage put the retail value at $18.5k. It is super-clean and dealer maintained. While I could try to sell it myself, I prefer to trade it in to avoid the hassles with selling a car. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mark (aka TheGhost)

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you look at the trade in value for your Volvo? Dealers usually go by the trade in as opposed to the retail or person to person value.

The $1k incentive should be for everything. Do you have a written quote for the $900 less? If so, take it in and ask them to match or beat it. If not, tell them they have to beat it or you'll go there. Be willing to walk.

#4 ·
Mark-

Yes the dealer gets the $1000 on any RL they sell after 10-04-05, even if they have had it a while. In regards to the trade in, Volvos have for a long time been worth significantly less than average trade-in according to KBB and NADA, at least here in the Northwest. If the dealer sells you a vehicle at invoice, they still make the holdback which goes directly to the owner (holdback is 3%), however this does not affect the salesmanagers decision or the salesmans commission. So what I am trying to say is that if they are trying to make a few bucks on the trade-in, so what, buy the truck and start enjoying it. Besides, they are in the business to make money, just like any of us who work commission sales or own a business, Profit is not a dirty word.

And if you have bought several Hondas from the same dealer and salesman, you know they are giving you a good deal, because the last thing we as salespeople want is to lose previous customers, because they know you will continue to buy more cars in the future and they want it to be from them.

Just my .02 cents worth.

#5 ·
Found out today that you cannot combine the special lease offer with this $1000 incentive. At first I thought this was typical sales tactics, but I was shown an official letter from Honda describing both the lease deal and the $1000 incentive. At the bottom it stated that they could not be combined. This is from a dealer/salesperson that I've known/trusted for 6-7 years now...

BUMMER!

Still a great lease deal.....

#6 ·
I kept my 01 Volvo XC for the time being for the same reason (dealer trade seemed significantly too low). I've not had time to deal with selling it privately, think of it as my "junk" car, and am having too much fun with the Ridgeline to focus on it.

#8 ·
theghost said:
Just wanted to thank everyone again and let you know that I bought a Silver RTS yesterday. While I am greatly disappointed at the Volvo's value, I am looking forward to the RL.

Thanks again,
theGhost
Congratulations! :) Nice choice in color. :D

#9 ·
Congratulations. Now you can start enjoying driving your Ridgeline. I ditto Tex's Ridge on the color, and I'm sure Ladyridge will too.

#10 ·
Congrats on the new Ridgeline, slightly disappointing that you aren't adding to the ranks of the other colors but at least you got the best truck out there ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.