Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a camper trailer but concerned about the 5000 lb. towing capacity. What is the largest that the RTL-E can tow safely without damaging the truck?

·
Registered
932 Posts
What is your towing experience?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,024 Posts
We have members who are towing up to near the limit. Your towing experience and expectations are also apart of the equation. An Early G2 Member loaned his truck to TFT for towing up the Eisenhower Pass in Colorado, another member tows 4500-4600 pounds regularly but also uses a truck scale and another scale to verify his tongue weight before heading out on every trip.

If you expect to tow 5000# and drive 85mph, it's not the truck for you.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
We recently purchased a used Hybrid camper (has the beds that fold down on the ends). Evaluate your needs in a camper and try to see if that fits into the towing capacity. I think you would want to keep the dry weight down near 3-3500 lbs so once it is loaded down with gear/water/waste you aren't over the 5000 pound capacity.

Make sure you pay attention to both 'Dry Weight' and 'GVWR' of the camper. I haven't weighed mine yet but I suspect it is between 2700-2900 dry (meaning how it came out of the factory). I had been looking at new campers with a dry weight of around 3000 pounds (~18 feet long) but everything I could find only had one axle which looked like it would be a lot of tongue weight for this truck. I am much happier with my old hybrid that has 2 axles to distribute the weight of the camper on the trailer axles instead of onto the tongue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thinking about a camper trailer but concerned about the 5000 lb. towing capacity. What is the largest that the RTL-E can tow safely without damaging the truck?
I have an acquaintance who sells trailers an his general recommendation to customers for safe towing is no more than 75% of max. Which is around 3,750 in the RL. Just quoting hear say but it makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts