Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned trucks with toppers and now have a hardcover on my Honda Ridgeline. I'm considering getting a topper to add a bit more flexibility. Before making that purchase, I would be interested in thoughts/comments on one vs. the other.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a hard tri-fold hard cover on my 2022 RL. Given how shallow the bed is, a topper would add a lot more utility to the bed if I did not have tall things to have to transport which I do not. The only thing about a topper is that it changes the looks of the truck and they tend to create significant wear marks on the rails where the topper resides. Toppers are also much more expensive as you know. Please let us know if you decide on a topper and which model suits your fancy. Some toppers can actually enhance the looks of the truck if they are really stylish and well constructed with a good color match. I am thinking that the A.R.E. Z series or the Leer toppers for RL's might be a good match?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a softopper because I want to be able to remove it or fold it up easily. I'll use it for long trips or when needed but have it off in it's storage bag when not in use. May also buy a tonneau to have maximum flexibility.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used a canopy on my previous truck. It was very handy except when I needed to remove it to load and haul material like gravel, or bark. I used a system of pulleys fastened to the ceiling of my garage to lift the canopy and drive the truck out.

When I purchased my 22 RTL-E, I reasoned that the trunk and the rear cab with seats folded up would give me enough usable weather tight space. I could use a roll up hardcover instead. One thing I've noticed is that many items I need to load into the bed are just tall enough that I have to roll back the cover. Not a problem unless it is raining. There may come a time that I decide to go with a canopy instead of the cover. I favor the looks of the cover over a canopy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a canopy on my previous truck. It was very handy except when I needed to remove it to load and haul material like gravel, or bark. I used a system of pulleys fastened to the ceiling of my garage to lift the canopy and drive the truck out.

When I purchased my 22 RTL-E, I reasoned that the trunk and the rear cab with seats folded up would give me enough usable weather tight space. I could use a roll up hardcover instead. One thing I've noticed is that many items I need to load into the bed are just tall enough that I have to roll back the cover. Not a problem unless it is raining. There may come a time that I decide to go with a canopy instead of the cover. I favor the looks of the cover over a canopy.
I do like my hardcover, trifold but as you indicated it's shallow and that's what I really want to improve is the height of things to store/transport.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am 100% in the Softopper camp! Absolutely the best add-on to my RL. Takes less than five minutes to put-up/take-down and adds significant weather protected storage. The RL bed is so vertically shallow that a toneau actually prevents me from carrying the gear I want to keep protected.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not only by a stranger but by someone known to you.
Dang it. I was hoping that it is somewhat secure. We’re planning on road trips to CO this summer. I bought the tonneau cover for that. Would love to have more vertical height. But then i don’t want stuff to disappear overnight while at hotel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is not secure, right? The panels can be taken off fairly easily by a stranger?
Correct. But for versatility compared to a soft toneau, Softopper is the hands-down winner. I don't frequent populated areas with valuable gear in the bed, especially hotel parking. The few times I had to, I was able to lock stuff to the tie-down points.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts