Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the sensation that the entire truck is rockin every time the wiper blade hits its farthest possible point during each cycle. The sensation is not there if the wipers are not on high. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the force of the wipers to reduce or eliminate the rocking sensation.

· Registered
461 Posts
It is likely a side affect of the soft damping of the shocks, which gives the RL its amazing ride. Same as the truck rocking back and forth during a stop.

Rain-X will negate the need for wipers almost completely, let alone on high when stopped.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
It is likely a side affect of the soft damping of the shocks, which gives the RL its amazing ride. Same as the truck rocking back and forth during a stop.

Rain-X will negate the need for wipers almost completely, let alone on high when stopped.

I always use Rain-X, just waiting to use up all the fluid so I can replace the stuff that is in there now.
Then I always have to remember to tell anyone working on the car to NOT top off the windshield wiper fluid - UGG!

· Premium Member
24 Posts

The rocking after a stop is one thing I really don't like. I try to alter the way I brake to minimize it, but it's not always possible.

· Registered
166 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the windshield wipers on the RL being on "high" will be enough to shake the truck. I never heard of that before on any vehicle. The motors on those things arent that strong. I might be wrong though, i barely use the wipers on the truck, i wash it too much so the water just beads off. Never experienced this yet.

· Registered
353 Posts
I once owned a car that did this, too. Although it is unusual, it is not really a mystery.

Everything has a "resonant frequency" -- this is the natural 'ringing' vibration it exhibits if banged, or plucked, or twanged, or thumped. Whether it is a church bell, wine glass, grandfather's clock pendulum, suspension bridge*, or Ridgeline, all objects "ring" when struck.

If the windshield wiper frequency matches the RL's resonant frequency (or one of its harmonics) then the vehicle will begin to rock in time with the wipers.

(And, you know it's true because you read it right here -- on the internet.) :wink:

* Tacoma Narrows Bridge - 1940.

· Administrator
24,908 Posts
Mine will shake like like a giant bowl of Jell-O in slower motion after coming to a complete stop unless I immediately ease up on the brake pedal at the precise moment the wheels stop turning or performing a "limo stop" (coming to a gentle stop then easing up on the brake pedal even more just before the vehicle stops to avoid the "kick back" as if you're trying to avoid spilling a glass of wine that is sitting on the hood). This is a common observation with the G2. After I've stopped, anything that causes the vehicle to move such as a passenger changing positions, the windshield wipers, or a gust of wind from nature or a passing vehicle will cause it to jiggle again. I disagree that it's caused from "softly-sprung suspension" - it's not an "up and down" type of motion - it's more of "wallow" than a bounce or wiggle. The feeling of the "brake-and-shake" issue is completely different than if you're sitting inside the vehicle and someone jounces it as if they are testing the shocks. There's a 24-page discussion on this issue at the link below. Although I still notice it from time to time, I've grown mostly accustomed to it.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...058-gen-2-body-shake-after-complete-stop.html

· Registered
200 Posts
If its a friction related issue, might I suggest putting a little dishwasher soap in your windshield washer resevoir. I do this with my '07 Ridge to assist in removing the heavy build up of bug chit ( it really works ) !!

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
its not the motor, it is the size and weight of the wipers.
It's true, these are some really big wipers. But I think BillmanMotion is right about the soft dampening of the shocks too. I think that causes the rocking at braking as well. But the heavy wipers — if I remember correctly they are about 26 inches and 24 inches — has got to be a contributor in this case.

· Registered
926 Posts
It rains a lot here, and I can honestly say that in 25 years, I think I've only ever had my wipers on HIGH about TWICE legitimately! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.