Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently sent a couple of people on where to post this and no response. So if the admin can direct this correctly that would be great.
I have a 2014 Ridgeline Sport. This will be the first winter with this vehicle as I bought it used.
My 1st question: Does anyone use sandbags? What is the outcome with them? If you use sandbags how much weight total did you add?
I know the vehicle is 4x4 however not truly a 4x4 as there is not a button to push. Is this the type of vehicle that has the Subaru type of deal wheels that slip to the wheels that grip? This is my first truck that I physically do not have a button for the 4x4.
Final thing: What is this VTM? How does it work? When would I use it? Thanks for everyone's help!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Do a search try to go back years 2006-2008. The answer is no need for sand bags like other trucks. You just drive the truck if you become stuck how to operate system is in owners manual and on drivers side sunvisor.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I am waiting for others to chime in but you don't need to do anything unless you are stuck or think your are about to become stuck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,908 Posts
Where to begin...

The RL is not a conventional 4wd as you already know. Basically, put it in Drive and go. VSA is on by default. If you need to be able to spin your wheels in order to maintain momentum in snow/sand/mud, then switch off VSA. VSA will kill the throttle if it can't control wheel spin by braking the spinning wheel. This will make the truck feel like it's bogging down just when you need power to spin out of the situation.

VSA will act as a LSD on the front wheels. The rear wheels are not connected such that braking the spinning rear wheel will transfer power to the opposite side rear wheel.

VTM-4 is the all-wheel drive function. In auto (default) mode, if the system senses the FWD slipping, it will direct power to the rear in proportion to vehicle speed, amount of power being applied, etc.

IF you are stuck, shift to 1 (D1), then press VTM-4 lock and ease out of the situation. Use VSA or disable VSA as needed. I tend to turn VSA off when driving in snow.

VTM-4 lock with VSA enabled and the transmission in 1 provides the maximum amount of power to the rear wheels regardless of power input, etc. Switch off VTM-4 lock as soon as you can. Treat it like you would a conventional 4wd locking mechanism. It is NOT for use on solid traction surfaces... only for use on slippery surfaces.

VTM-4 lock will diminish as you speed up to the point it will be off by 18mph. It will automatically re-engage if you slow back down and still have the switch on and in D1, D2, or R.

That's a quick and dirty synopsis.

For more info:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=347973&postcount=71
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=218788&postcount=16

That should get you started. A knowledgeable owner will get a lot further along in adverse conditions compared to someone who doesn't understand the system.

Ask away if you have questions. Oh, and ditto on the sand bags. No need.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Do not push your VTM -4 Button and use it on dry pavement. It will work when you push button and shift vehicle in 1st 2nd or Reverse gears to help you get unstuck say snowy conditions. It only operates at lower speeds and will disengage. So if your normal driving in regular snow conditions just drive vehicle in drive or whatever gear you select no need to do anything.
VTM -4 =Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel-Drive System
VTM-4 LOCK when you need to start off in extreme low-traction conditions such as ice or loose gravel just push VTM-4 Button to lock the rear differential for extra help getting moving. And it can stay locked up to 18MPH.
4-Wheel Drive System Sensors continually monitor traction at each wheel and send data to VTM4 ECU it then instantly distributes torque to all four wheels to help maintain optimum traction.
Front Differential
Under normal driving conditions the VTM -4 system channels all power to the front differential. This maximizes efficiency when 4WD isn't needed, like on dry pavement.
Rear Differential
In certain driving conditions the electromagnetic clutches in rear differential can be signaled by VTM-4 system to deliver up to 70% of engine power to rear wheels for 4WD.
Propeller Shafter The center propeller shafts continually makes power to rear differential for 4WD applications as required by conditions. It also has a special damper to help reduce vibration.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I see you are from the Buffalo area. ( I LOVE it up there. I have a few friends in those parts )
Winters up there are not like the rest of the USA.

Of course what everyone else has said thus far is correct. That said, Buffalo winters, there is nothing wrong with overkill and adding some weight over the rear. It wont hurt at least.

Bills are my second favorite team too.
I hope they crush the Pats tonight. ( although they likely wont )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see you are from the Buffalo area. ( I LOVE it up there. I have a few friends in those parts )
Winters up there are not like the rest of the USA.

Of course what everyone else has said thus far is correct. That said, Buffalo winters, there is nothing wrong with overkill and adding some weight over the rear. It wont hurt at least.

Bills are my second favorite team too.
I hope they crush the Pats tonight. ( although they likely wont )
I actually live in Utica and as far as the game that had to be the longest game for a Monday night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where to begin...

The RL is not a conventional 4wd as you already know. Basically, put it in Drive and go. VSA is on by default. If you need to be able to spin your wheels in order to maintain momentum in snow/sand/mud, then switch off VSA. VSA will kill the throttle if it can't control wheel spin by braking the spinning wheel. This will make the truck feel like it's bogging down just when you need power to spin out of the situation.

VSA will act as a LSD on the front wheels. The rear wheels are not connected such that braking the spinning rear wheel will transfer power to the opposite side rear wheel.

VTM-4 is the all-wheel drive function. In auto (default) mode, if the system senses the FWD slipping, it will direct power to the rear in proportion to vehicle speed, amount of power being applied, etc.

IF you are stuck, shift to 1 (D1), then press VTM-4 lock and ease out of the situation. Use VSA or disable VSA as needed. I tend to turn VSA off when driving in snow.

VTM-4 lock with VSA enabled and the transmission in 1 provides the maximum amount of power to the rear wheels regardless of power input, etc. Switch off VTM-4 lock as soon as you can. Treat it like you would a conventional 4wd locking mechanism. It is NOT for use on solid traction surfaces... only for use on slippery surfaces.

VTM-4 lock will diminish as you speed up to the point it will be off by 18mph. It will automatically re-engage if you slow back down and still have the switch on and in D1, D2, or R.

That's a quick and dirty synopsis.

For more info:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=347973&postcount=71
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=218788&postcount=16

That should get you started. A knowledgeable owner will get a lot further along in adverse conditions compared to someone who doesn't understand the system.

Ask away if you have questions. Oh, and ditto on the sand bags. No need.
Great information to both you and FTM1. Thank you very much! Anyone need sandbags?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
When you do get snow... Find an empty parking lot and test your VSA on and off, VSA off will test your doughnut skills.

10+ years and only used VTM to test... and yes I was testing how deep of snow the RL can handle. (answer I've found around 16 - 18 inches and then you start to get High Centered)

Remember if the RL is slipping it will kick in the VSA and power you down.

The best way I have found around that is to feather foot the gas to keep the momentum up going through a drift. I have found difficult to reach the VSA on / off switch while driving then experiencing the loss of power.

If your on a back road and no traffic, or know ahead of time the VSA can be switched off to keep the momentum up. But remember you can do nice doughnuts with the VSA off.

:act030:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts