Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 06 with 17" steel wheels and have been shopping for OEM alloys. So far, all that I have found nearby are 18" OEM Alloy wheels that I believe are from an 2009 RTL.

Can I expect any issues if I made the change to 18" wheels?

What impact will this change make, if any, in the accuracy of the speedometer or odometer? ( do realize the sidewall height on the 18" OEM tires are a tad smaller than the 17" ...245/60/18 vs 245/65/17. Is it possible that the difference is sidewall height alone could make up for the larger rims?)

Impact on ride?

TPMS issues?

Anything else?

Whats a fair price for these wheels assuming there are no significant flaws?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts

What impact will this change make, if any, in the accuracy of the speedometer or odometer? ( do realize the sidewall height on the 18" OEM tires are a tad smaller than the 17" ...245/60/18 vs 245/65/17. Is it possible that the difference is sidewall height alone could make up for the larger rims?)

Impact on ride?

TPMS issues?

Anything else?

Thanks!!
They will work perfectly without affecting the speedometer. You are correct, the difference in sidewall height alone puts both the wheel and tire at exactly the same circumference (or at least very close to).

Impact on ride - perhaps if you change the tires. The LTX MS has been a consistently praised tire on the forum. I have the 18" accessory rims with Michelin latitude Tour 245 60 r18. They are a slightly quieter, smoother ride IMHO.

No TMPS issues once you use the ones designed for you 06.

I would pay ~$400 for the rims.

Other thoughts, consider making a full size spare if you do the swap.

J

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Id be interested in the specific reason Honda changed to an 18 inch wheel. Convential wisdom would be a lower profile tire is a "street/sport" handling improvement, but a detraction for off road driving. I'm very happy with the Ridges capability on fire roads, muddy and slick conditions and for me I'd rather have the taller sidewall even though I prefer the look of the 18's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all...

Just checked out the tire size difference using one of those tire size calculators found online. The difference in tire circumference is indeed insignificant....
92.8" for the 17" tire size vs 92.9" for the 18" size.

The change to the 18" wheels is, I believe, just in the 2009 and newer RTL Models and 2012/13 Sport models.

Also, I checked out the 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP on Tire Rack. They are listed twice with the Low Rolling Resistance tire priced at $194 each and considerably lower than the $229 price for the same tire that does not specify Low Rolling Resistance. Everything else about the two listing appear to be pretty much the same. Go figure.....

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Don't forget, if you're going from a steel wheel to alloy wheels, As Matt was saying, you will need new lugs.

J

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,036 Posts
Have an 06 with 17" steel wheels and have been shopping for OEM alloys. So far, all that I have found nearby are 18" OEM Alloy wheels that I believe are from an 2009 RTL.

Impact on ride?

TPMS issues?

Anything else?

Thanks!!
As has been mentioned, get the right wheel nuts for the new alloys:

The OEM 17 inch tire is very close in diameter and revs/mile to the OEM 18 inch tire:

17:

18:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speed/Matt....

Very much appreciate the info and details on the wheel nuts. May have otherwise overlooked that!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
This brings up a related question. Will the lugs that I use for summers (OEM 18" alloys) work with the donut spare? Will the lugs I use for winters (OEM 17" steelies) work with the donut spare?

Does the donut spare come with it's own lugs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As has been mentioned, get the right wheel nuts for the new alloys:
Reviving an old thread :):

My 2010 Honda Ridgeline currently has the original Steel wheels. Getting a set of the new 18inch alloy wheels from the second gen Ridgeline for the truck. Any Service notes for the 2010 Ridgeline for the Lug nut sizes? The note from this thred seems to apply only to pre 2009 Ridgelines. Called up Gorilla as well as they said its the same lug nut regardless of the wheel on my year. Would appreciate any help :).

Also, anyone have any issues running the 2nd gen alloys on the 1st gen ridgelines? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,036 Posts
Reviving an old thread :):

My 2010 Honda Ridgeline currently has the original Steel wheels. Getting a set of the new 18inch alloy wheels from the second gen Ridgeline for the truck. Any Service notes for the 2010 Ridgeline for the Lug nut sizes? The note from this thred seems to apply only to pre 2009 Ridgelines. Called up Gorilla as well as they said its the same lug nut regardless of the wheel on my year. Would appreciate any help :).

Also, anyone have any issues running the 2nd gen alloys on the 1st gen ridgelines? Thanks.
Hopefully the dealer can verify the proper wheel nuts for those rims. I have no idea about the G2 rims on a G1 RL. I don't have further info on later model RL wheel nuts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also noticed that the newer Ridgelines and Pilots have a 55mm offset as compared to 1st Gen which has a 45mm offset. That means the newer wheel would go in closer to the sidewall and the caliper. Has anyone installed the Gen2 18" wheels or Pilot 18" wheels on the 1st Ridgeline?

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I also noticed that the newer Ridgelines and Pilots have a 55mm offset as compared to 1st Gen which has a 45mm offset. That means the newer wheel would go in closer to the sidewall and the caliper. Has anyone installed the Gen2 18" wheels or Pilot 18" wheels on the 1st Ridgeline?
It's been done. Since the G1 is seven inches wide and the G2 is eight inches wide. The 10 mm difference is offset by the one inch (1/2" on each side to maintain scrub radii).

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I realize that this is a very old thread, but I thought I would add the following link for your perusal and edification! :nerd:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
It's been done. Since the G1 is seven inches wide and the G2 is eight inches wide. The 10 mm difference is offset by the one inch (1/2" on each side to maintain scrub radii).
The G1 is actually 7.5" wide on all its OEM available wheels ;).

·
Super Moderator
23,036 Posts
OEM wheel specs for the G1 RL:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks everyone for the detailed information. I got my new wheels installed today. No issues. Used the G1 Alloy lug nuts. Got Dorman one's from Rock Auto.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts