Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im posting this for my dad as its his truck. He found a really nice set of Honda ridgeline rims on kijiji and the seller says that the toms sensors do not come with the rims. I have no clue about any of that stuff because none of my vehicles have ever had toms like a honda's before i dont think. Anyway this is them http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/cole-harbour/honda-pilot-ridgeline-chrome-rims/1062755943?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true and he has a 2008 ridgeline. Do we need to get new sensors and does anyone know if they make sensors that are comparable?
Any help would be awesome as I'm completely out of my element with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should be able to use the ones in your wheels that are on the vehicle now, at least thats what I did, the tire shop swapped them when they switched the tires.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
And if there's some reason that won't work for you, try contacting Discount Tire.... or better yet, search for threads/posts on here where our Discount Tire sponsor explains the "equivalent" nature of their aftermarket TPMS units.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Or best yet look online for the Honda ones. You can find "equivalent" but you'll get what you pay for. While companies try to copy them they are in business for profit and can't make oem.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Or best yet look online for the Honda ones. You can find "equivalent" but you'll get what you pay for. While companies try to copy them they are in business for profit and can't make oem.
I might be hesitant as well, but the Discount dude on here says they are the same as OEM????? Prior to that report, I was in your camp (only OEM). Who can confirm? (or dispute)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need the tpms sensors otherwise you will have a constant ligjt. They are not cheap and aftermarket ones are a pain to program. Avoid the rims or if you live near upstate NY I have a set with sensors installed for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You need the tpms sensors otherwise you will have a constant ligjt. They are not cheap and aftermarket ones are a pain to program. Avoid the rims or if you live near upstate NY I have a set with sensors installed for a reasonable price.
No pain at all because NO Ridgeline requires the TPMS sensors to be programmed. The Discount Tire rep on this site sold me a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors for $27 apiece and they perform flawlessly, without any sort of programming.

I would recommend buying the rims, and getting in touch with the Discount Tire rep to make sure you get the right sensors.

Flymo

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Really? My owners manual say they program themselves.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Really? My owners manual say they program themselves.
You are correct Slider.... I think maybe Flymo mis-typed something there. If I recall correctly, previous posts about TPMS sensors from this Discount Tire guy stated those ALSO "programmed" themselves (auto-sync, self-assign, whatever you want to call it.... just drive away & they set themselves in short order). There doesn't seem to be "confirming" testament to that fact.... not yet anyway.

Can you clarify your experience Flymo??? (or anyone else)

·
Registered
385 Posts
You are correct Slider.... I think maybe Flymo mis-typed something there. If I recall correctly, previous posts about TPMS sensors from this Discount Tire guy stated those ALSO "programmed" themselves (auto-sync, self-assign, whatever you want to call it.... just drive away & they set themselves in short order). There doesn't seem to be "confirming" testament to that fact.... not yet anyway.

Can you clarify your experience Flymo??? (or anyone else)
Totally screwed up what I was typing - left out the word "NO" which I have since added. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bought four Honda oem from McKay Honda in Chicago (cheapest I could find) and put them in. Shop said $100 to program and install. I said how much without programming? He said that makes no sense so I said if I get them to work without programming I'll go 60. He agreed and I paid $60. Not a light to be seen.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I bought four Honda oem from McKay Honda in Chicago (cheapest I could find) and put them in. Shop said $100 to program and install. I said how much without programming? He said that makes no sense so I said if I get them to work without programming I'll go 60. He agreed and I paid $60. Not a light to be seen.
Still no light above that guys head either, I'm guessing! ! :act060:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Oh, there's a light, it's just very very dim.

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
294 Posts
If I recall correctly, TPMS sensors on 2006 - 2008 RL models do NOT need to programmed. They will program themselves. But sensors on later models do. At least I think that's what I remember. I do know for sure that I bought an inexpensive set (about $100 for four) of aftermarket sensors to install on a set of 18" Pilot wheels I bought for my 2006 RTS recently and they did NOT have to be programmed. I could have used the sensors from my OEM wheels, but I've also read that the batteries on the original sensors will run out after about 8-10 years. And obviously sensors on an '06 are in that age range. So that's something else to consider.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
KSP, Can you share where you got those & what type they were that did not require programming? 'Would be helpful for those considering replacement (many aftermarket types DO require programming).

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
294 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts