Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to get the ducks lined up for questioning... and not hammering Gary and crew with the same questions over and over.

What questions would you ask???

:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
My biggest question is whether Honda has any powerplant options planeed...ie, diesel or a V8 gasser - with cylinder deactivation, too!

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
I'd like to ask him "Would he attend a west coast ROC national event if it we're held in Las Vegas?" and thank him personally for this great truck!

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
  • Is a longer bed in the plans?
  • Is an mp3 player going to be standard at some point?
  • Are some more aggressively styled wheels going to be an option at some point (similar to HFP wheels on the Civic)
  • Is a 2WD trim in the future?
  • Why can't touch up paint just be included? >$27k for a vehicle and I still have to shell out $6 for touch up paint.
  • Can we see an optional sound system package (12 speakers or similar)?
  • Why are some colors only around for one year?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Warranty issues and how the installation of aftermarket and non-oem components may affect longevity and your relationship with the dealer?:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,121 Posts
Why was the hood of a $30k vehicle made with a hood prop instead of gas shocks similar to the 2000 Accord?

Why doesn't the trunk lid spring have more strength to stay open?

What is the button blank between the two seat heater buttons for?

Are there plans to put a power plug inside the trunk?

Why isn't there an under hood light?

Are there plans to put in adjustable pedals, memory seating, and telescoping steering wheel?

How about a power adjustable passenger seat?

Are there plans to offer the RT through RTL with the hitch and wiring harness since the truck is marketed as "tow ready"?

Why is the windshield so susceptible to rock chips?

What are the styling and power plant plans for the next generation Ridgeline?

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
5,741 Posts
My biggest questions have to do with the the things that I cannot modify myself that are not available from the aftermarket and are more of a wish list or a "why not" wish list than a "why didn't you include this" list.

1. Why is there not an option to get a power passenger seat? I think that this would be a very popular option.
2. Why are there not any OEM 20" wheels? There is not a single aftermarket 20" wheel that I have found that meets Honda OEM specs for strength.

Here are a couple of things that I think should be added/changed that would add nothing or very little to the sticker price.

1. Turn signal mirrors.
2. A non switched power outlet. Everyone has a cell phone. They all have dead batteries.
3. A power outlet on the dashboard. I have never seen a vehicle with a power outlet on the dashboard but to me, it's a no brainer. With all the plug in accessories people mount on the windshield, I'd think that every manufacturer would offer one. I hate the cords hanging over the dash and stereo.
4. Side body protectors. This accessory which shouldn't be one doesn't cost Honda more than $25. It should have been on every truck out the door.

I will add that I still believe that the RL is one of the better thought out vehicles on the market and that it is still my favorite vehicle of all time. I also understand that the RL is still a niche vehicle but that doesnt' mean that it can't offer a couple of "risky" options like a stereo with a hard drive instead of a CD player. CD's are about to go the way of the cassette and the 8 track.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Tmac, I won't be there, but if you're looking for input, here you go. I know Gary won't answer most of these questions, but there's no harm in asking.

Along the lines of where ChrisM was going:

1) Will Honda offer Bluetooth in future models?
2) Is the AM/FM radio antenna being redesigned? It's terrible.
3) What happened with the radio harness on so many production models (AM radio crackle problem)? What was the root cause (specs, supplier, components, installation methodology etc.)?
4) Will the subwoofer ever be self-powered? That would allow a lot more installation and modification flexibility.
5) Will the trend of major after-purchase options (foglights, hitch, racks, etc.) continue, or will there be more models like the RTX with them installed at the factory?
6) Will Honda offer a real step and tow bumper in future models?
7) Will Honda offer an under-hood light in future models?
8) Will Honda offer HID lighting, standard or optional, in future models?
9) Will Honda be using the SHAWD system in future models?
10) Will Honda offer memory power seats for both driver and passenger in future models?

Have a great time at the meet, everyone.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
1) Why not DRL/Automatic Lights in the US? Americans love saving $ on insurance for having DRL... I thought Honda was about driver safety...

2) Will honda go back to an RTL without a moon roof? Love the RTL features, but not the lose of headroom.

3) Adjustable pedals in the future. It would stop some of the issues with the smaller drivers having to be too close to the wheel because of the pedal distance.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I love Honda, but I avoided them in the past because I owned a first year honda accord and every thing I need to have on the car was a dealer option and they had to tear the car apart to install the AC, Cruise Control and every other option I wanted. The car was perfect, but the dealer never got it back as good as new.

I bought the Ridgeline because it was exactly the truck I needed, but damned it Honda still doesn't offer all the goodies at factory installed. I still had to order extras from the dealer and get all the junk that comes with them ( 5 trash cans full of packing materals plus the parts you have to remove like the splash guards when you install the fender flares. ) Honda is supposed to be green, but this trash is not green. Even Subaru offers all options factory installed - probably why vertrkr bought a Tribeca instead of a Pilot.

Why isn't there an all options ( fog lights ( tear the dash for the switch and the bumper for the holes ) , the towing package ( yes I know the RTX has the towing but no Navi.. ) tear the dash again under the hood and the rear bumper to find the wires.

Honda would sell a lot more cars if the options were factory installed to begin with. My Chevy Silverado had everything factory installed - including gremlins that required 18 visits to fix. the radio might come on or it might not. the AC might work or it might not. the power windows might work or they might not. When they had evrything working I traded it for the Ridgeline. but I hate it when a dealer has to install anything!!!!!!!

I miss the Chevy Dash for a truck ( alternator, oil pressure, water temp and gas guage , cruise, washers, and the message center with MPG in the dash) - the Ridgeline dash sucks in layout.... the light switch is too easy to bump. The only thing that was layed out right is the location of the sunroof controls where only the driver can reach them. the seats are not as nice as the Chevy Truck seats, the Ridgeline at 28000 miles they look worse than the 250,000 miles on the Blazer I traded for the Silverado.

Put everything ( except the optional wheels - the dealer can do that usually without screwing that ( yeah, they cannot balance them right )) as an option

bet if you did not have to box and ship all the options, chrome bumper inserts, fog lights, luggage rack, towing package, door moulding and fender flares would not cost $500 and could be a $1000 option package ( beats the $8000 the dealer wants with installation )

also the blazer had the oil filter where you had an ez access door and it did not pee on the rest of the truck. the honda filter is at an angle and pees on the truck.

fix the transmission so it can be drained - flush by dilluting is crazy.

get with line-x and offer factory sprayed cargo bed - Nissan offers that - why can't Honda

build the radio with ipod interface or fix it so that sd cards with mp3 can be played without anything else 4gb sd card at 96 holds 2800 songs for 22 days without repeat.

I don't want XM - I want my music = I had the XM when I drove with it the same music 8 times a day with 20 minutes of telling me there were no commercial / each hour or how great they were.

I have 22 days on my Ipod without commercials and It is what I want to hear. I have another 78 days worth of albums that I could listen to but I don't like all the songs so I have one playlist and enjoy that so much I haven't updated it since I got the Ipod 2 years ago.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey larryr is ther any thing you DON'T like about the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I love the ride, the size is just right - the headlights are the best of any of the 34 vehicles I have owned (and the 100's of rental cars), The sun roof is just right. The cabin size is perfect. The stablility control works great. The accelleration with the 3.5 liter engine is better than the 5.3 liter that the Silverado.

with 27 months of Ownership - 0 reasons to go back to the dealership for defects. I trip back as 2 of the support pushins for the fender flares got crushed by UPS and need replacement.

better gas mileage than the Chevy Pickup I had. (it got 12 in town after 30 months, the ridgeline gets 17 in town.) Best gas mileage - in Florida on I95 ( 55 mph for a long way 25.6 ) worst tank 14.2 (mountains of East Tennessee - took the long windy road to NC beautiful drive horrible for ups and downs and twisty turns) average so far is 18.6 - vs the 15.6 on the Chevy.

I would like to see the improvement I suggested as some of the other by other ROC members.

Gary Flint, as a former GM (Chevy ) designer could have brought the better GM features with him. But Honda could have prevented some of them for fear of GM. I think not.

I rant sometimes - it keeps me sane (?????) but I do love the truck.

Oh yeah,
Why wasn't the spare tire full sized. Trucks need full sized spares. I had to buy one. Anyone need a donut spare???

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would ask for a more aerodynamic design so that it could have a higher gear for highway driving. The side windows aren't flush with the metal, the door handles look like they catch some air, and the front end is too blunt.

Of course I went a added a hood deflector, roof rack, and fender flares which likely makes it worse. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
When will Honda have extendable exterior mirrors for the "tow ready" Ridgeline? Power mirrors with signal lights even better but one step at a time. I hate the look of the clamp on extension mirrors and they vibrate too much but without them a trip is just too dangerous with my wide beam (96") boat.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I guess this would be more of 'suggestions' than questions, but....

1) Why can't the passenger seat have the same moving features (lumbar, etc).

2) Can the driver power window be done as the same for the passenger side as well? (one touch up or down)?

3) How about a lockable console?

4) Will there be a hybrid version offered or is the V6 Deisel or V8 more of a priority?

5) Can they add an 'open window' alarm on the sun roof like they have on the rear window?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It probably isn't exactly his department, but I'm going to ask him (if I can) why the colors are so dark. The now discontinued green doesn't even look like there is any green in it.

Also curious about the center blank switch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to know what fights he's had with "marketing". I have to believe some of the choices like XM, no bluetooth, color choices, etc... are beyond his control.

I recall one of the early stories about how he really wanted the "HONDA" spelled out on the rear tailgate instead of an "H" logo. I like that kind of thinking.

I work in an engineering/manufacturing environment. Often we'll see marketing do some stupid stuff. Some of the wizzbang plastic cases that enclosed our devices would actually cause our electronic product to overheat and fail in the field. Duh.

So...

1) What fights has he had with marketing?
2) What is Honda's long term vision and committment to the RL?
3) What does Gary consider "signature" features of the RL that will always be part of the vehicle even with future model revisions. (Trunk for example)
4) Does he have any "pull" to help get some upscale features put in like auto headlights, adjustable pedals, projector headlights, trip computers, etc.. to match some the the gadgetry of domestics.
5) Truck owners like to customize. How much thought is put into adding in mounting points for running boards, bumpers, skid plates, lights, tonneau covers, tow hooks etc..

1 - 20 of 91 Posts