Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Let see you guys have just about covered it all.
Did someone mention a trip computer/ I think the cost of the base Ridegline could justify one.

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
Why does only one trim (RTX) come with the standard hitch installed?
It's a truck, it should have a hitch standard.

Why does my stock subwoofer seem to overpower the stock speakers at a "Subwoofer +3" setting when music has a heavy beat?

Have any of these package ideas been considered?
Off-Road Package - truck lifted a couple inches, oversized off-road tires, real metal bull bar w/mounted 4" or 6" lights, "throaty" exhaust, skid plate
HFP Package/Street Package - body kits, HFP wheels, lowered truck, sport suspension, (same?) "throaty" exhaust
Entertainment Package - DVD's screen drops from roof or in center console or in headrests, plus impressively large stereo system

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
Why did any of you even buy the Ridge? Just look at all the things you talk about :eek: . If you want all that expect to pay thousands more than you all ready did. This is my first Honda and most of you have owned several before, that makes you the experts. And the truth of the matter is most seem to be very cheap and want many things for little or nothing.
Sure if all of these things were offered, the price of a Ridge would be $40k. That's beside the point of this thread: what questions would you ask Gary and crew. Would I pay more for more stuff, yeah, without question. People who buy >$25k vehicles are willing to pay for features they want. Otherwise they would buy a less expensive vehicle. I don't see a run on the Kia Rio's... hahahaha
I hope you all do get your wishes and they do add all those things and cut the price way back. Then the older RLs will be worthless.
I don't remember seeing anyone say that the price was too much for what you get. People are asking for more and what they are asking for are things that could help increase sales as they are "the market". The "worthless" statement doesn't make much sense to me as if I apply that reasoning to the current '06 and '07 models; the '07's have things that the '06's did not, e.g. the RTX trim, so does that make the '06's worthless? hardly.

·
5,740 Posts
I hope you all do get your wishes and they do add all those things and cut the price way back. Then the older RLs will be worthless. I almost feel sorry for Gary to try answering some of this stuff :rolleyes: .
The biggest things that I see that is killing resale value is the dealer incentives that the new buyers are getting. They sure are nice up front but hurt the people who paid the higher intial prices for Ridgelines. I got lucky on the first incentive that Honda offered but others were less fortunate and most likely are upside down on their loans and would still owe money on their trucks if they had to get out of their loan today.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is my best attempt to condense and categorize the questions asked....

Engine -
any powerplant options planeed.
power plant plans for the next generation Ridgeline?

Is a 2WD trim in the future?

Is a longer bed in the plans?

Why doesn't the trunk lid spring have more strength to stay open?

What is the button blank between the two seat heater buttons for?
curious about the center blank switch.

Electronics -
Is the AM/FM radio antenna being redesigned?
3) What happened with the radio harness on so many production models (AM radio crackle problem)? What was the root cause -
(specs, supplier, components, installation methodology etc.)?
Will the subwoofer ever be self-powered? That would allow a lot more installation and modification flexibility.
Why does my stock subwoofer seem to overpower the stock speakers at a "Subwoofer +3" setting when music has a heavy beat?
Did someone mention a trip computer

Why is the windshield so susceptible to rock chips?

What is your next project?

Tires
how the installation of aftermarket and non-oem components may affect longevity
Why are there not any OEM 20" wheels? There is not a single aftermarket 20" wheel that I have found that meets Honda OEM specs for strength

Will Honda be using the SHAWD system in future models?

Cost / Marketing

Why was the hood made with a hood prop instead of gas shocks similar to the 2000 Accord?

Power Plug -
put a power plug inside the trunk?
2. A non switched power outlet.
3. A power outlet on the dashboard

Seat -
Are there plans to put in adjustable pedals, memory seating, and telescoping steering wheel?
How about a power adjustable passenger seat?
memory power seats for both driver and passenger in future models?
passenger seat have the same moving features
Adjustable pedals in the future
Does he have any "pull" to help get some upscale features put in like auto headlights, adjustable pedals, projector headlights, trip computers, etc..

Mirrors -
When will Honda have extendable exterior mirrors for the "tow ready" Ridgeline?
1. Turn signal mirrors
Power mirrors with signal lights even better

Lights -
8) Will Honda offer HID lighting, standard or optional, in future models?
1) Why not DRL/Automatic Lights in the US?
Why isn't there an under hood light?
7) Will Honda offer an under-hood light in future models?

Why wasn't the spare tire full sized.

Marketing

Electronics -
Is an mp3 player going to be standard at some point?
Can we see an optional sound system package (12 speakers or similar)?
1) Will Honda offer Bluetooth in future models?
radio with ipod interface

Are some more aggressively styled wheels going to be an option at some point (similar to HFP wheels on the Civic)

Will honda go back to an RTL without a moon roof?

Why are some colors only around for one year?
why the colors are so dark.

factory sprayed cargo bed

Marketing/Dealer?
Why can't touch up paint just be included?
Warranty issues
Are there plans to offer the RT through RTL with the hitch and wiring harness
the towing package ( RTX has the towing but no Navi.. )
Why does only one trim (RTX) come with the standard hitch installed?

Why are fog lights not standard equipment? - And the trim rings black
all options ( fog lights

5) Will the trend of major after-purchase options (foglights, hitch, racks, etc.) continue, or will there be more models like the RTX with them installed at the factory?
6) Will Honda offer a real step and tow bumper in future models

5) Truck owners like to customize. How much thought is put into adding in mounting points for running boards, bumpers, skid plates, lights, tonneau covers, tow hooks etc..

Have any of these package ideas been considered?
Off-Road Package - truck lifted a couple inches, oversized off-road tires, real metal bull bar w/mounted 4" or 6" lights, "throaty" exhaust, skid plate
HFP Package/Street Package - body kits, HFP wheels, lowered truck, sport suspension, (same?) "throaty" exhaust
Entertainment Package - DVD's screen drops from roof or in center console or in headrests, plus impressively large stereo system

Personal / Thank-you's

Would he attend a west coast ROC national event if it we're held in Las Vegas

1) What fights has he had with marketing?
2) What is Honda's long term vision and committment to the RL?
3) What does Gary consider "signature" features of the RL that will always be part of the vehicle even with future model revisions. (Trunk for example)

thank him personally for this great truck!

I still believe that the RL is one of the better thought out vehicles on the market and that it is still my favorite vehicle of all time.

Have a great time at the meet, everyone.

I love the ride, the size is just right

:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Those who participated in last year's meet will no doubt recall Gary's excellent presentation. With respect to Q&A this year, I personally would not hassle an engineer with sales and marketing/customer service questions.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
An engineer who doesn't understand marketing is an engineer that's destined to be without a job. Gary can choose to ignore or give standard answers to the marketing questions. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be asked, or that asking them is a "hassle".

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
The biggest things that I see that is killing resale value is the dealer incentives that the new buyers are getting. They sure are nice up front but hurt the people who paid the higher intial prices for Ridgelines. I got lucky on the first incentive that Honda offered but others were less fortunate and most likely are upside down on their loans and would still owe money on their trucks if they had to get out of their loan today.
I don't see the resale valvue being hurt that much, I punched in my zip code into Yahoo Autos today and saw '06 RTL going for $26K, that is not bad. Also, the questions for Gary and crew should not be riduclous, only things that would improve or inhance the existing RL. I will be there, and the only thing I may ask is: why fog lights are not standard and why we do not have a 2 wheel drive option for those that do not need the AWD.

·
5,740 Posts
I will be there, and the only thing I may ask is: why fog lights are not standard and why we do not have a 2 wheel drive option for those that do not need the AWD.
I'll take a guess at why there is not a 2wd version. My reasoning would lend me to believe that a 2wd version would be impossible unless it was front wheel drive. I think that I remember reading in the shop manual that the duty cycle for the clutch packs in the back end of the truck is only 30 seconds. That means that they will only work at their full potential for 30 seconds at a time. Most people would not buy a 2wd front wheel drive truck since it is unconventional and would most likely have a towing capacity of around 3k lbs due to the weight of the truck and the weight bias.

A 2wd rear wheel drive version of the RL would likely call for a total redesign of the drivetrain.

·
5,740 Posts
I will be there, and the only thing I may ask is: why fog lights are not standard and why we do not have a 2 wheel drive option for those that do not need the AWD.
I'll take a guess at why there is not a 2wd version. My reasoning would lend me to believe that a 2wd version would be impossible unless it was front wheel drive. I think that I remember reading in the shop manual that the duty cycle for the clutch packs in the back end of the truck is 30 seconds. That means that they will only work at their full potential for 30 seconds at a time. Most people would not buy a 2wd front wheel drive truck since it is unconventional and would most likely have a towing capacity of around 3k lbs due to the weight of the truck and the weight bias.

As for the OEM fog lights, they are starting to grow on me now but they might have been a deal breaker for me if they came standard.

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
I'll take a guess at why there is not a 2wd version. My reasoning would lend me to believe that a 2wd version would be impossible unless it was front wheel drive. I think that I remember reading in the shop manual that the duty cycle for the clutch packs in the back end of the truck is only 30 seconds. That means that they will only work at their full potential for 30 seconds at a time. Most people would not buy a 2wd front wheel drive truck since it is unconventional and would most likely have a towing capacity of around 3k lbs due to the weight of the truck and the weight bias.

A 2wd rear wheel drive version of the RL would likely call for a total redesign of the drivetrain.
See this is a good question for Gary, as I think a FWD truck, with less towing ability, would work for a lot of people.

·
5,740 Posts
See this is a good question for Gary, as I think a FWD truck, with less towing ability, would work for a lot of people.
I agree to a degree but I think that a FWD only RL would help to perpetuate the myth that the RL is cut down version of the Odyssey minivan. A FWD RL would be as much of a truck as a Pontiac Aztek is an SUV to a lot of people. (traditional truck buyers) I don't think that you would have many takers outside of Honda buyers but again, that is my opinion.

I'll gracefully bow out now as this thread is entitled ask Gary, not ask Chris. :)

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
That is the point. If I am not going to haul anything other than a sack of garbage or a step ladder or tow more than 1,500 lbs; why do I need the cost of AWD and the loss of MPG? I am sure that most family truck owners first priority is just having an extra set of wheels. That would suit me. As for AWD, it is great, but I have never been stalled or could not go with FWD and I have had FWD since 1981.

·
Registered
503 Posts
... As for AWD, it is great, but I have never been stalled or could not go with FWD and I have had FWD since 1981.
I will agree with you that AWD may not always be necessary, but I've found that the performance & handling characteristics are much more balanced with AWD, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons we all love to drive it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When it comes to fog lights being standard, that's where someone at Honda does the math to see how much additional time and cost will be incurred during manufacturing which all increase sales price. I also imagine that the dealers want to earn a profit on all of the dealer installed options.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Please do not nit-pick peoples questions... Gary can't be a fool... Let's see... Go to a meet with real world RL use experience. Backed by tremendous logged real world mileage with valuable workaround mods to the RL quirks; based on a representative group backed by thousands of owners.... What costs Honda millions of dollars in testing, focus groups, etc.. for free... Give me a break people...

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I'd ask Gary if there's a possibility of a CR-V 4-banger pickup in the future. For that matter, I'd ask if the Kei-class Honda trucks that are starting to show up here via 3rd party importers may ever be available "officially" on the U.S. market.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I have an idea for an option that can possibly be made available on future models - an 800-1000 watt power inverter. This option could be available for those people that like to take their Ridgelines hunting or doing other outdoor activities! Nothing is better than cooking up fresh venison right after the hunt!!

21 - 40 of 91 Posts