Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I was not able to make it, as I had other commitments, but it would be nice if somebody could give us the "Reader's Digest" version the presentation, of what Gary said, and what questions were answered.

Thanks in advance.
I was not able to make it, as I had other commitments, but it would be nice if somebody could give us the "Reader's Digest" version the presentation, of what Gary said, and what questions were answered.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts

Thanks in advance.
The reason why no one has posted an answer to this repeatedly asked question is because we didn't grille them with a list of questions. We had conversations about one truck then we looked at another truck and another and so forth. Almost all while consuming some beverages.

It's not that no one wants to share information, but trying to condense three long nights and a full day Saturday of conversations is not easy.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,613 Posts
To add to Keith's point and to reiterate what I've already stated (and it won't be a surprise)....Gary and company said you've bought the best truck on the market. They proved numerous ways that it's durable and efficient and it's very much a truck. Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ either. They just showed over and over how everyone there should be proud of their decision. It was quite impressive, from the presentation that Gary gave to the actual, live rock drop (600 lbs) that took place 3x in the back of one of the Honda guy's trucks. The Ridgeline is a machine.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,351 Posts
To add to Keith's point and to reiterate what I've already stated (and it won't be a surprise)....Gary and company said you've bought the best truck on the market. They proved numerous ways that it's durable and efficient and it's very much a truck. Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ either. They just showed over and over how everyone there should be proud of their decision. It was quite impressive, from the presentation that Gary gave to the actual, live rock drop (600 lbs) that took place 3x in the back of one of the Honda guy's trucks. The Ridgeline is a machine.
Soo, are you going to be trading in the Element any time soon?!??

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
heheeheh... you should have seen Tom drooling over everyone's trucks. It was quite a sight

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The reason why no one has posted an answer to this repeatedly asked question is because we didn't grille them with a list of questions. We had conversations about one truck then we looked at another truck and another and so forth. Almost all while consuming some beverages.

It's not that no one wants to share information, but trying to condense three long nights and a full day Saturday of conversations is not easy.
Shrewd Honda engineers once again evade questions asked by drunken enthusiasts. It's probably chapter 3 of the Honda training manual :D

Seriously, it sounds like Gary & his crew went the extra mile to interact & exchange info. It's always gratifying to meet people who admire your work & I do hope the corporate suits at Honda realize what they have in Gary Flint (as well as his team)!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the meet, but it was impossible. Sounds like everyone had a great time and learned alot of valuable information.

I fully appreciate that many of the questions were asked during informal discussions with Gary and his team, and that it is not possible to recall everything that was discussed. However, if there is any way possible that some of the information discussed during informal Q&A sessions could be posted, I believe members who were unable to attend would be very appreciative. I'm not trying to be a [email protected]#$ either - I know the RL is a great truck too, but I would like to know if Gary or his team commented or responded to some of the more common problems/issues that owners have encountered.

My memory is not that good either, and it is worse after consuming my favorite beverage, but surely you guys remember some of the details of your conversations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Having been an owner for just about a month, the presentation that Gary & Company made, only reaffirmed that our new truck was indeed, the best on the market (for what we needed). My wife, an industrial engineer (once upon a time - Purdue), was very impressed with the presentation (data) and the overall engineering of the truck. I think she caught a engineer or two by surprise when she was asking "engineering" type questions beside the "cut-away" truck in the showroom. And she thought I only bought the truck because it looked so good!:D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I think she caught a engineer or two by surprise when she was asking "engineering" type questions beside the "cut-away" truck in the showroom.
Okay, entertain us. What were her "engineering" type questions and the response by the honda guys? :p

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
I'll attempt to answer some of these from what I heard while in St.Louis. Don't kill the messenger for a lack of good/desired answers

Engine -
power plant plans for the next generation Ridgeline?
[Keith's attempted answer] I didn't hear an answer on this, though the Honda R&D guys asked me if I would purchase a diesel if offered (I said no) or a V8 option (I said yes)

Is a 2WD trim in the future?
[Keith's attempted answer] I didn't hear an answer on this, though it was discussed with the Honda R&D guys

Is a longer bed in the plans?
[Keith's attempted answer] did not hear anything on this

Why doesn't the trunk lid spring have more strength to stay open?

What is the button blank between the two seat heater buttons for?
[Keith's attempted answer] I remember Gary talking about the story to this, but don't remember right now

Electronics -
Is the AM/FM radio antenna being redesigned?
What happened with the radio harness on so many production models (AM radio crackle problem)? What was the root cause -
(specs, supplier, components, installation methodology etc.)?
Will the subwoofer ever be self-powered? That would allow a lot more installation and modification flexibility.
Why does my stock subwoofer seem to overpower the stock speakers at a "Subwoofer +3" setting when music has a heavy beat?
Did someone mention a trip computer
Why is the windshield so susceptible to rock chips?

Tires
how the installation of aftermarket and non-oem components may affect longevity?
[Keith's attempted answer] Aftermarket engine parts and wheels are not recommended.

Why are there not any OEM 20" wheels? There is not a single aftermarket 20" wheel that I have found that meets Honda OEM specs for strength
Will Honda be using the SHAWD system in future models?

Cost / Marketing
Why was the hood made with a hood prop instead of gas shocks similar to the 2000 Accord?

Power Plug -
put a power plug inside the trunk?
2. A non switched power outlet.
3. A power outlet on the dashboard

[Keith's attempted answer] Gary mentioned that everything can be added, but how much more do you want to pay?

Seat -
Are there plans to put in adjustable pedals, memory seating, and telescoping steering wheel?
How about a power adjustable passenger seat?
memory power seats for both driver and passenger in future models?
Adjustable pedals in the future
Does he have any "pull" to help get some upscale features put in like auto headlights, adjustable pedals, projector headlights, trip computers, etc..

[Keith's attempted answer] Gary mentioned that everything can be added, but how much more do you want to pay?

Note on the telescoping wheel. It is an engineering impossibility to have a stalk mounted transmission lever and have telescoping wheel. Has to do with the transmission cable.

Mirrors -
When will Honda have extendable exterior mirrors for the "tow ready" Ridgeline?
Power mirrors with signal lights even better

Lights -
8) Will Honda offer HID lighting, standard or optional, in future models?
1) Why not DRL/Automatic Lights in the US?
Why isn't there an under hood light?
7) Will Honda offer an under-hood light in future models?

Why wasn't the spare tire full sized.
[Keith's attempted answer] I think it had to do with weight, but don't remember

Marketing
Electronics -
Is an mp3 player going to be standard at some point?
Can we see an optional sound system package (12 speakers or similar)?
1) Will Honda offer Bluetooth in future models?
radio with ipod interface
Are some more aggressively styled wheels going to be an option at some point (similar to HFP wheels on the Civic)
Will honda go back to an RTL without a moon roof?

[Keith's attempted answer] I did not hear anything on these

Why are some colors only around for one year?
why the colors are so dark.

[Keith's attempted answer] It comes down to sales numbers.
no sales = color no longer offered.

factory sprayed cargo bed
[Keith's attempted answer] This was discussed but no need as the composite bed won't dent.

Marketing/Dealer?
Why can't touch up paint just be included?
Warranty issues
Are there plans to offer the RT through RTL with the hitch and wiring harness
the towing package ( RTX has the towing but no Navi.. )
Why does only one trim (RTX) come with the standard hitch installed?
Why are fog lights not standard equipment? - And the trim rings black
all options

[Keith's attempted answer] Did not hear anything discussed about this.

5) Will the trend of major after-purchase options (foglights, hitch, racks, etc.) continue, or will there be more models like the RTX with them installed at the factory?
6) Will Honda offer a real step and tow bumper in future models

Have any of these package ideas been considered?
Off-Road Package - truck lifted a couple inches, oversized off-road tires, real metal bull bar w/mounted 4" or 6" lights, "throaty" exhaust, skid plate
HFP Package/Street Package - body kits, HFP wheels, lowered truck, sport suspension, (same?) "throaty" exhaust
Entertainment Package - DVD's screen drops from roof or in center console or in headrests, plus impressively large stereo system

[Keith's attempted answer] No word on any of these.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
What is the button blank between the two seat heater buttons for?

this is where the passenger air bag disable button was going to go - the moved it to the bottom of the flasher button in 07. I remebered that one.

Marketing/Dealer?
Why can't touch up paint just be included?
Warranty issues
Are there plans to offer the RT through RTL with the hitch and wiring harness
the towing package ( RTX has the towing but no Navi.. )
Why does only one trim (RTX) come with the standard hitch installed?
Why are fog lights not standard equipment? - And the trim rings black
all options

Honda does not make the optional equipment - a 3rd party makes them under the Honda name and specs. Only the Tonneau Cover is made by Honda. The foglights, bumper trim, fender flares, dash kit...
are spefications from honda made by 3rd party. I got this while showing that the front drivers side mud flap is an outie and the passenger one is an innie. They (honda engineers and Gary) had not seen the mudflap difference and would look at spec when they got back to Ohio. Kevin thought the passenger side was made with the wrong spec.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
the drool on ridgeline just dried up today. or was that tmac's beer?

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Regarding the question about a longer bed or wheelbase Ridgeline in the future... here's the bottom line.

I don't know anything beyond the next few years so well call that "the future". What happens 5, 10, or more years down the road is unknown to everyone including Honda.

No, there will not be a longer bed or wheelbase Ridgeline. There are currently two limiting factors... both of them have to do with manufacturing.

First, the side panel stamping of the current Ridgeline is actually slightly larger than the largest stamping Honda can produce. The current one actually hangs out of the jigs but they're able to "jockey" it around to make it work. They can't stamp anything larger without a major change at the stamping plant. A far to expensive option for a lower production vehicle.

Secondly, the Ridgeline is as long of a vehicle as they can manufacture at the Alliston plant without significant changes. If it was any longer they would have to increase vehicle spacing, turns, etc. at the plant. Additional spacing would require either lowering production capacity or increasing line speed to maintain current production rates. Keep in mind that the Ridgeline is the lowest production volume vehicle built at that plant and any changes would affect the production of the other vehicles as well. Not in the plans.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
What happened with the radio harness on so many production models (AM radio crackle problem)? What was the root cause -
The AM radio crackle I believe was due to the sub-contracted firm did not follow Honda Specs for a solid cable (which required a difficult manufacture process) and took a shortcut with a braided cable ... which caused some units to have the crackle.

When will Honda have extendable exterior mirrors for the "tow ready" Ridgeline?
Talked to one of the Honda guys (who??) on this one... Being a safety issue he did seem to take note of it. Will we see an aftermarket mirror or fix again (don't know??)

Honda puts safety # 1 ... The RL is totally engineered around that point down to the Rims... Air bags... Bed.. Bed wall.. Passenger cage... This is what you pay for .... other features ppl want basically would add cost such as fog lights, Lights in the trunk, hood.. etc etc

:)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Thanks for the explanations... There is definitely a bigger picture to the process of want some owners would like to see in the RL... Some are simple add on where others are sacrifice due to the integral design of the RL. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The AM radio crackle I believe was due to the sub-contracted firm did not follow Honda Specs for a solid cable (which required a difficult manufacture process) and took a shortcut with a braided cable ... which caused some units to have the crackle.
Of course, this begs the question why Honda didn't inspect the parts provided by the subcontractor & reject them for not following specs, but that gets so, um, "industrial" as to be nit-picky.

Honda does need to take a stone hard look at some of its subcontractors. I still think the outfit that makes the seats for the Ridgeline needs to simply find another line of work like maybe making tampon boxes or something.

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Of course, this begs the question why Honda didn't inspect the parts provided by the subcontractor & reject them for not following specs, but that gets so, um, "industrial" as to be nit-picky.

Honda does need to take a stone hard look at some of its subcontractors. I still think the outfit that makes the seats for the Ridgeline needs to simply find another line of work like maybe making tampon boxes or something.
If you're interested in the direction Honda is going with suppliers read the article linked below. Published Friday in Wards Auto World.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/honda_quick_fixes/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Joe, thanks for the link to the article. I think many of us, myself included, don't really know what is involved in the auto industry. The valuable information posted on ROC has helped me tremendously.

Of all the vehicles I've owned over the past 40 years, I think I have become more intimate with the RL than any of the others - thanks to ROC.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts