Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Okay, entertain us. What were her "engineering" type questions and the response by the honda guys? :p
Sorry, was over my head, but it had to do with stress test, production lines, stamping, and testing type stuff. I wasn't there when she was talking to them, but she was very impressed.

In her younger days, she was a line-manager at a Cummings Diesel Marine plant and the IBM computer plant in Boca Ratan. I times I thinks she misses doing "line" type work vice the management stuff she does now for IBM.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thanks anyway, most likely it would "swoosh" over my head as well but I wanted to learn something new about my RL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If I was there, I would've had TWO questions.

1. WHY does it have such low-ass ground clearance and EVERYTHING exposed underneath? An even 9 inches front to rear should be able to be accomplished.

2. WHY does it have such poor button placement?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
what do you mean? What would you do differently and why?
I'd move the cruise control ON switch to wear the cab light toggle is, the toggle to under the lights next to the VSA and the dimmer switch. The moonroof switch would be placed on the door control panel on the driver's side, or in a sports car like manner have it on the center console with an "All OPEN," All "CLOSED" type button next to it.

The now open blanks to the left of the steering wheel can be used for accessory lights, and the new switch I have in mind for the Ridgeline Street Runner. The airbag lift button, to clear taller objects after the 2.5" factory drop. Or, the top for fog left for standard fog lights, and the bottom for pre-wired accessory lights. All you need is the lights. :D

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
For one, switch the VSA and the moonroof buttons.
Agreed Mike. The sunroof switch is in a very awkward location and should have been installed on/in/near the overhead console like in 99.9% of all SUV's and pick-up trucks.....Honda are you listening?:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If I was there, I would've had TWO questions.

1. WHY does it have such low-ass ground clearance and EVERYTHING exposed underneath? An even 9 inches front to rear should be able to be accomplished.

2. WHY does it have such poor button placement?
I spoke personally with three Honda reps concerning your first question specifically. The closest thing to a direct answer I got was for maximum fuel economy. All three claimed a significant hit in mileage if the vehicle was higher. The Honda officials I spoke with used my personal f/e as proof. However, my gut feeling (and take that for what it is worth) was that they were taken by suprise that clearance was going to be an issue. They had a prototype at St. Louis that had about 10" of clearance. I was told that this vehicle would get significantly less mileage because of the added clearance. I told them that we would three of them at work (instead of one) if the "off road" version was available. Then again if the intent is to produce an ultra light to light duty urban truck, then the clearance is fine and the team has succeeded. However, they could sell more side bars/steps if the vehicle actually needed them. ;)

As fas as number two. Not having the VSA and VTM buttons together near the shifter (as all three are used together in situations that require it) is a major head scratcher.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts