Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many people are aware of mechanics tricks with batteries. This one is one I have always used and is rather well known.

Once you clean off your terminals with baking soda, a coke, vinegar or whatever you are using make sure the cleaner left no residue. Douse it with a little water and follow with contact cleaner to make sure it isn't too sticky with sugar (sodas). After it drys take a can of hair spray and coat both terminals. This will create an effective and cheap barrier against oxidation.

Thats pretty much it.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, good time of year for it.

Never heard about the hairspray. I guess anything that would put a fine coat on the terminals after cleaning would work similarly. I used to use those felt rings that go over the terminals to retard corrosion.
Since the advent of sealed batteries it seems to me just having a good battery and occasional cleaning of the top and terminals and doing nothing else does the job.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I keep a jar of vaseline in the basement for that purpose, although they don't seem to corrode near as much as in the past when you could add distilled water to the cells. Rollinhonda hit the nail on the head there.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Back in the day when I used to run Baja and sand rails in off-road races, we would get cans of AquaNet, better known as AqauRock because it was varnish in a can. We spayed the entire electrical systems until it dripped. Makes a great, temporary seal against moisture in the electrical systems. Some people still use it that way on boasts and electronic gear that is outside in the elements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.