Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATED 10/19/16 to save you scrolling - added pics of 17x8 35mm offset Ultra Spline CUV black with machined finish and Kumho AT51s in 245/65/17 size to this post below, on Modern Steel Metallic RTL-E. This combo weighed identical to stock on our scale and has roughly same outside diameter & gear ratio. If you're looking for better traction AT tire with "triple peak" logo certifying deep snow performance (so you don't need to chain up as often, depending on regional req'ts of course), the AT51 has proven to be very nice in ride, handling and quietness.]

As stock G2 wheels are 18x8 with 55mm offset, has anyone weighed these yet? [EDIT: 27.5 lb/wheel + 31 lb/tire = 58.5 lb complete stock assembly]

How do G2s compare against R1 wheel specs?

Looks like there are some 20-21 lb options at Tire Rack's fitment of the '16 Pilot that might look OK with the RTL-E (MSM color) we ordered.

Has anyone installed or even mocked-up photos of alternate wheels on the G2? I'd like to see the G1 wheels (like at the top of this forum's pages) modeled on an G2 since they might be similar offset/fitment & reasonably affordable used.

I've seen one pic of the silver G2 with aftermarket wheels & it looked plenty tough.

Not the biggest fan of the wheel styling once you move up from Base config of the G2 (and realize it's subjective). Thanks for sharing any options or links (was not able to find it in search yet).

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: R2 Alternate Wheel Pictures

We still have not had a user order the alternate OEM wheels. There are 3 options available from the factory, one of which (chrome look) I have never seen outside of the Honda website.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stock wheel weight; alternate wheel options & pictures

Welcoming any weights of the stock wheels, so we can compare against a few sub-$170/wheel ~ 21 lb options from Tire Rack with offsets in the 40 mm range (vs. 55 mm stock) to widen track slightly, fill out wheel wells & provide potential room for 255/60 or 265/60 tires without undue rub (some noticed Honda used 265/60/18s on stock wheels & some folks noticed inside rub evidence)

Looks like stock Firestone Destinations weigh 31 lb, and Dustin's non-base/non-Sport wheels weigh 27, thus combined assembly is 58 lb. Welcome any base/Sport wheels if someone can stick their factory tire/wheel on a bathroom scale & report back please so we can provide more info in this thread.

Would be nice to find 4 lb reduction of unsprung weight / rolling inertia - autocross geeks go nuts for 2-3 lb...

Gen2 2017 Honda Ridgeline "BE" as received:
Firestone Destination LE2 245/60R18 105H SL
UTQG: 520 A A (data indicated on tire)
Max Load: 2,039 lbs.
Max Inflation Pressure: 44 psi
Tread Depth: 11/32”
Tire Weight: 31 lbs.
Rim Width Range: 7-8.5”
Meas. Rim Width: 7”
Sect. Width: 9.8”
Tread Width: 7.9”
Overall Diameter: 29.6”
Revs. Per Mile: 704
Country of origin: US

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you so much. That's an excellent reference point and a nice savings opportunity depending on one's preferences for weight / cost / durability on an aftermarket set.

6 lb/corner savings on wheels helps offset the 2-5 lb tire weight increase some will have when going with a different or larger tire.

Thanks again for your help in documenting our options...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's an interesting option for those willing to part with around $3k ..... they're Honda Accessory wheels for the 2016 Pilot! 245/60 R20 the salesman said .... Don't know about tire rub etc. This is AutoNation Tuscan Az, as I recall ... I think they look sharp on this white RL :wink:

........ if bigger tires on stock wheels is an option for you ... check this out. After a little math, I thought this might work, Firestone Destination LE2, 255/65 R18, original equipment, but a little wider/taller ... It's very close on full lock turn, but it works for me! ... your mileage may vary! :act024:

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts

........ if bigger tires on stock wheels is an option for you ... check this out. After a little math, I thought this might work, Firestone Destination LE2, 255/65 R18, original equipment, but a little wider/taller ... It's very close on full lock turn, but it works for me! ... your mileage may vary! :act024:
Damn I want those wheels when I buy my MSM RTL! Hopefully someone will want to trade!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Given the stock 245/60/18 58.5 lb wheel+tire weight and goals of filling out wheel well slightly and improving inclement weather/terrain grip...
I'm evaluating whether a half inch of extra ground clearance is worth the gearing change and two lbs per tire/wheel assembly.

Trying to do this for Pacific Northwest weather and getting to some mountain bike trails year-round, without hurting unsprung / rotational weight too much, thus I'm OK not going with big 265/18s which carry too much rotational inertia for the all terrain-ish carcass designs that rate well with Tire Rack's surveys & tests.

I'm leaning toward a 17" solution to get a little extra sidewall relatively speaking, with Kumho Road Venture AT51s or Firestone Destination A/Ts at either 245/70/17 or 245/65/17 from Tire Rack.

Couple of decent wheels at around 21 lb with 32 to 38mm offset (vs. stock 55, so 23 to 17 mm change to offset to space wheels outward a bit) and

70 series (245/70/17) at 36 lb = 57 lb weight and 1/2 inch more ground clearance (30.6" diameter vs. stock 29.6), or

65 series (245/65/17) at 34 lb, so a total of 55 lb net weight, thus a net 2 lb/corner weight reduction and 0.1" smaller diameter (so no gain in ground clearance, negligible gearing impact).

Has anyone run a 17 setup yet, and / or driven one with the Road Venture AT51s or Destination A/Ts to chime in on their handling, road noise, grip off-road, etc? Have not found any in search.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

Rookie wheel question as I've never veered away from wheels sold on any vehicle I bought in stock so please forgive this question;

Would swapping the RTL-T, E, or BE wheels with those on an RT or RTS affect the weight or towing capacity? Are the upper trim wheels enginnerd to be beefier?

I'd love to have the dealer swap them when I get my E with the Sport wheels which I hope is by month end. My dealer has many Sport models on hand.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Rookie wheel question as I've never veered away from wheels sold on any vehicle I bought in stock so please forgive this question;

Would swapping the RTL-T, E, or BE wheels with those on an RT or RTS affect the weight or towing capacity? Are the upper trim wheels enginnerd to be beefier?

I'd love to have the dealer swap them when I get my E with the Sport wheels which I hope is by month end. My dealer has many Sport models on hand.

Thanks.
No difference, purely cosmetic differences. One OEM wheel might weigh slightly more or less, but should be fairly close. Always good, as well, to have a second set of wheels for winter tires.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

No difference, purely cosmetic differences. One OEM wheel might weigh slightly more or less, but should be fairly close. Always good, as well, to have a second set of wheels for winter tires.
Thank you Tommy!
Those non-powder-coated Sport wheels will do nicely.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I got a set of Michelin Lattitude X-Ice XI2 (245/60 R18) installed on the stock BE wheels and got a set of these...

Centerline wheels (20"x10.5")
+40 offset
275/45 R20 Falken STZ05 tires

I didn't want to increase the diameter (still want to be able to use the spare), but wanted a wider wheel & tire to flush out the wheel well.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just ordered a White/Beige RTL-E today and changing the wheels was my immediate first thought as well. Very much prefer the Sport or RTS wheels. My dealer is checking into options for me to swap them out though I'm not optimistic, based on their inventory, unless I buy a set. I saw in another thread that the BE wheels are going for $350 each. Has anyone received a quote on the Sport or RTS wheels?

The dealer had the black Pilot 20" wheels on display and were checking to see if that was an option. Great to see above that it at least appears to be, though I'm not crazy about shrinking the sidewall or dealing with the gearing change and speedo impact.

Centerline wheels (20"x10.5")
+40 offset
275/45 R20 Falken STZ05 tires

I didn't want to increase the diameter (still want to be able to use the spare), but wanted a wider wheel & tire to flush out the wheel well.
Those 20s with 275s really do a heck of a job filling the wheel well. Also adds to the "rugged truck" look even with the smaller sidewall. Are you (or did you) having any clearance issues? Is the ride noticeably more stiff? Overall, are you happy with them and have you found any downsides? That seems like a great option.

·
Registered
461 Posts

We still have not had a user order the alternate OEM wheels. There are 3 options available from the factory, one of which (chrome look) I have never seen outside of the Honda website.
BE with chrome-look oem wheels at Honda today:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That looks great. Can you share more specifics on tire size please? Also thought I saw a different exhaust in one of your other pics, so I welcome any thoughts on that angle too. We picked up 10 RWHP with a high-flow cat on one of my other Hondas, so maybe a higher flowing cat setup and J-pipe could improve flow w/o adding appreciable drone.

I think these are probably 2015 Pilot wheels, 7 1/2" X 18, with a 45mm offset, mounted my studded Winter tires on them.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts