Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after reading the service manual it looked pretty straight forward however there are some items that one should have ready before making the change. I also picked up a Spectra radiator. The ATF fittings were already tight despite what some of posts indicate that they were lose.

1. Cork or rubber plugs for the ATF line into the bottom of the
radiator. I just looked at the replacement radiator to estimate
the size needed.
2. New upper and lower radiator hoses. Save a tonne of time
from trying to wrestle the old hoses off the fittings by cutting the
old stuff off.
3. Hose clamp. The hose clamp at the bottom of the lower radiator
hoses was rusted.
4. A bunch of 9mm screws. I went with stainless steel.
5. Plastic fasteners I got from aliexpress.
6. Upper foam padding that is taped to the radiator ( 5/8" x 23". Lower foam padding
(12"x1/2").
7. Plastic fasteners that tie down the wiring along the fan shroud and A/C fan shroud
As for the ATF lines into the radiator I simply let it drain into a container then plugged them with the cork plugs. There was not much in the lines. As for the coolant drained from the radiator it was about 3.9L. You could use a 1/4" tubing and stick that into the drain so its not so messy. Hope these tips helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are pics of the plastic fasteners and the bolt size. The bolts use a 9mm socket. In the pic the description is 6 X 1.00mm threading. I got these from a store that specializes in nuts, bolts, tools etc. The dimensions for the plastic rivets will work fine and their probably cheaper than buying from a dealer. I had to get the plastic fasteners for the fan and A/C shroud from a dealer. These fasteners are different than the plastic rivets in the pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
My exp on a 2006 170,000 miles. Original radiator started to leak around the top seam.
Didn't replace any hoses or clamps or machine screws, originals looked fine. Disconnected hoses at the engine to remove rad. With the curved ice pick tool they came off easy. Machine screws were a 10mm socket, used some copperkote putting them back in. Didn't break any of the cable holders, just pinched the barbs on the back side to remove. Same experience as OP with fluids - hardly any ATF came out, and a gallon jug of coolant was more than enough to refill the coolant. Used an old spark plug and an old pen to plug the ATF lines. Didn't break any of the plastic fastners on top, broke a few on the bottom.

Been hauling a 4000 lb travel trailer around Wyoming and Montana for a couple thousand miles past two weeks, hills to 9000' and temps in the 90's. No problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ranger04, is there anything you did beyond visual inspection of the spectra unit to convince yourself that the new unit was watertight and ready for pressure?

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger04, is there anything you did beyond visual inspection of the spectra unit to convince yourself that the new unit was watertight and ready for pressure?

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The only check I did was the ATF fittings to make sure they were tight. I read on this forum some folks in the past got these radiators with loose fittings. As for any pin holes etc. I just cross my fingers and hope to hell its not defective.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Where you from, what made you think it needed replacement, paranoid from this site? Many here are pretty anal on maintenance including me. ALL vehicles have issues, what makes you think your in that category with the radiator. After many years on here im thinkin maintenance and keepin it clean. Not that it could ever happen, ill change in time or sell, but after 11 years still looks ok :act064:eek:n wood :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where you from, what made you think it needed replacement, paranoid from this site? Many here are pretty anal on maintenance including me. ALL vehicles have issues, what makes you think your in that category with the radiator. After many years on here im thinkin maintenance and keepin it clean. Not that it could ever happen, ill change in time or sell, but after 11 years still looks ok :act064:eek:n wood :smile:
I had bought the vehicle used in Alberta and simply wanted to make sure at minimal all fluid changes were done properly. After researching the radiator story and knowing there be a lot of highway driving over the summer I wasn't about to leave this to chance. So I took a look at the fittings and found it to be corroded. Yeah sure they say you can't tell the true condition unless the fitting comes off but for a small amount of work its peace of mind. Paranoid? Nope just keeping it running until it gets driven into the ground.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, after reading the service manual it looked pretty straight forward however there are some items that one should have ready before making the change. I also picked up a Spectra radiator. The ATF fittings were already tight despite what some of posts indicate that they were lose.

1. Cork or rubber plugs for the ATF line into the bottom of the
radiator. I just looked at the replacement radiator to estimate
the size needed.
2. New upper and lower radiator hoses. Save a tonne of time
from trying to wrestle the old hoses off the fittings by cutting the
old stuff off.
3. Hose clamp. The hose clamp at the bottom of the lower radiator
hoses was rusted.
4. A bunch of 9mm screws. I went with stainless steel.
5. Plastic fasteners I got from aliexpress.
6. Upper foam padding that is taped to the radiator ( 5/8" x 23". Lower foam padding
(12"x1/2").
7. Plastic fasteners that tie down the wiring along the fan shroud and A/C fan shroud
As for the ATF lines into the radiator I simply let it drain into a container then plugged them with the cork plugs. There was not much in the lines. As for the coolant drained from the radiator it was about 3.9L. You could use a 1/4" tubing and stick that into the drain so its not so messy. Hope these tips helped.
Thanks for this...
Question....is it necessary to remove the splash guard underneath the front of the truck, or can you reach everything from above?
appreciate your help. JBP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts