Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Radiator fluid ?!

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
My 2006 ridgeline is new to me. i have a radiator leak and am about to replace it. The fluid leaking is green thats all I know about it.
Can I use a good non silicate coolant for aluminum engines without gumming things up ?

#2 · (Edited)
My 2006 ridgeline is new to me. i have a radiator leak and am about to replace it. The fluid leaking is green thats all I know about it.
Can I use a good non silicate coolant for aluminum engines without gumming things up ?
I would use either OEM Honda Anti-freeze or Preston makes a fluid for Hondas.( Walmart carries it) OEM fluid in about the same price as the off-brand.Outside of this, it’s not worth the risk.

#3 ·
Antifreeze is one of many fluids that Honda tries to force (bully? strong-arm?) you into buying from them by withholding a spec or set of requirements. All the owner’s manual for my 2013 says is non-silicate, and then gives a warning of corrosion if you use anything but theirs.

As was said, Honda’s coolant isn’t that much more expensive than Prestone (which meets the only ‘spec’ of silicate-free that Honda provides). It’s irritating to me that the Japanese manufacturers work this way, but possibly more irritating that we let them. That said, if you establish a good relationship with a good dealer, you can get parts at competitive prices. I put Honda coolant in from my local dealer each time I replaced the coolant.

#4 ·
The blue Honda fluid is the only coolant I trust in our coolant systems. If your coolant is green, that means that someone who owned the truck before you was one of two things: 1. knew that Honda recommends Type 2 blue coolant and chose to ignore it or 2. negligent or ignorant of the fluid requirement altogether. Either way, you have no way of knowing what coolant is in the system. If it were me and I was already having the radiator replace anyways, I'd have a full system flush done and replace the coolant with Honda fluid. It just makes sense.

Reactions: Sparkland
#5 ·
I echo the same: OEM Honda blue coolant or the Prestone as recommended. Do the system flush and change out the following

• Radiator
  • Radiator cap
  • Upper and lower radiator hose
  • redo the hoses (if needed) for the ATF lines (on the radiator)
  • Thermostat & gasket
  • water temperature sensor (the '06 has only one and its by the thermostat).
  • clean and install the overflow container.

#7 ·
I did the repair already .... Did inspect all my hoses and clamps all in good condition. Everything is operating beautifully. I may do the flush and fill later with honda coolant. Thanks again ! .... On another note I have been having ac problems .. Used a uv dye no leak to be seen not behind the glove box no where at all !!! I can only think its my compressor. I have hissing if I put refrigerant in the system but no visable dye. Possibly internal valve in the compressor ? .. Any ideas would be appreciated ! ?

#11 ·
Pride tends to be a very expensive vice. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Reactions: Sparkland
#13 ·
I get it. If you let it go too long, though, that number tends to be on the higher end or more. A/C systems aren't rocket science, but they certainly depend on a delicate balance of refrigerant and pressure along with every part working in sync to deliver cold air. It's not typically something I care to mess with, but more power to you for giving it a go. Hope you get it going one way or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.