Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this 2008 EX-L recently and the backlight for the radio has burnt out. Fuse is good. Any suggestions for fixing it? Couldn't really find anything online. I read that swapping out the whole radio would cause a problem with the anti-theft system. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,553 Posts
Those are “Grains of Rice” incandescent bulbs, if you are good with soldering, it’s a very common issue and well documented repairs are found in the 1G Mobile Electronics or this section of the forum, I honestly don’t recall. Additionally you can find any and all types of Aftermarket HU installs in the G1 Mobile Electronics section where issues with the anti theft system are never mentioned.
YMMV

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine died too. Instead of fixing it. I just replaced it with an aftermarket HU. I never had problems with my anti theft. Plus now i got bluetooth and aux.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but It's a little more complicated than soldering in a couple grain of wheat bulbs. After you remove the head unit you'll need to separate the CD player from the radio itself. Then remove several screws and panels to get to the actual display which is backlit LCD. This means pretty much opening up the radio and moving circuit boards. To get to the bulbs you need to remove the display itself which requires unsoldering it from the radio chassis. Then you'll see the bulbs. They are quite small and require good soldering skills to remove and replace. I had the same issue about 3 years ago. Big issue was finding the proper 12volt grain of wheat bulbs. Fortunately for me there were some radio shacks still around and they were cheap. Probably have to go on-line now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem, but the cause was a hairline crack in the solder on the circuit board. Reflowed the solder and all was well. Apparently a common problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts