Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 RTS has developed a strange radio problem. After replacing the original battery which died this winter, the radio started losing sound. I thought it was the loose antennae problem, but I confirmed that all functions of the radio including the CD would lose sound when it felt like it. Finally the radio would not deliver any sound at all, but the radio display was working fine and showed the channels chosen and cd track etc.... I thought I would experiment and pull the battery connection and lo and behold the radio came back to life again, but unfortunately, this lasted only about a couple fo days. So I did the battery trick again and same repair and same length of time before it failed again. Any ideas on this failure? Battery is new and Honda service checked all charging and it is to spec and of course, the radio was working when I had it in for inspection today (2 hours before it failed :( )

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There have been issues with the stock head unit (if you still use it). Mine lost half the back light on the display. I messed with it until I had enough and got made and gave it a sharp rap with an open palm on the faceplate and tada, it worked! I think some of the connections on the boards get loose or corrode and the sharp rap re-seats them. Give it a try but not too hard. Use open palm flat on the display o\f the radio.

PS: Not responsible for injury to your hand or damage to the radio ;>)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I see this thread didn't really go anywhere, but did you ever figure it out? I heard a battery close to dying can cause these electrical problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did anyone figure this out? My battery light goes off and on intermittently, off most of the time...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The stock head unit is not great quality. They use a lot of surface mount components and there are a lot of bad connections to the circuit boards. It also seems the quality control on the actual components is poor and the units pass the initial inspection and are installed in the vehicle and sent out. Honda doesn't build the radio they only but them and install them. In 12 years I've had mine in and out several times for maintenance. I've stuck with the OEM unit because I didn't buy a vehicle to install high end audio equipment. I can fix pretty much anything in the stock head units.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The stock head unit is not great quality. They use a lot of surface mount components and there are a lot of bad connections to the circuit boards. It also seems the quality control on the actual components is poor and the units pass the initial inspection and are installed in the vehicle and sent out. Honda doesn't build the radio they only but them and install them. In 12 years I've had mine in and out several times for maintenance. I've stuck with the OEM unit because I didn't buy a vehicle to install high end audio equipment. I can fix pretty much anything in the stock head units.
I have a radio question for you. It is my 1 and only Ridgeline RTL problem and it concerns the radio. With headlights on, I can turn the radio on and off by rolling the panel lights dimmer. If I have the panel lights anywhere close to full bright, I have no radio. Make the panel lights go dim to off and the radio works.

Have replaced the panel dimmer reostat, the headlight switch and I still have the problem. I think it must be something in the radio. So far the dealer can't find the problem.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Do you know if the dash or radio have ever been removed? Here's my SWAG. The electrics are all interconnected and it sounds like the brightening of your dash lights is draining power from the radio. My suggestion (if you haven't done it already) is to check the radio connections. Big plastic plugs on the back of the radio. Make sure they are fully inserted and snapped in place (there is a small lock on each and it has a positive click when inserted fully). The dash light dimmer controls all the lights in the dah including the radio. Sometimes I think Honda farmed out the electronics to Lucas of MG and Triumph car fame. Worst car electrics ever!

Let me know what you find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts