Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a navi aftermarket stereo as soon as I plugged the antenna wire it shut off now it doesn't work anymore I checked the fuse on it and is fine. I swapped the old stereo back and it doesn't work either, also checked radio and back up fuse and they're not blown, anything I should be missing ? Think as in advance

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
There is a fuse box under the hood as well. Check all related fuses, etc.

Don't have the map handy, but you can find it here if you search (fuse box map).

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Check for 12v on the constant wire. If it's there, turn the key and check for 12v on the switched wire. If either are missing, go back and pull the fuses and check them for continuity (sometimes they blow so you can't see).

Chip H.

·
Registered
2008 Ridgeline Dark Cherry
10 Posts
So I have a question: I purchased an ‘08 RTL, no nav with a non siriusXM aftermarket radio, and the dealer gave me the original. i took out the aftermarket, installed the original, and now nothing. Checked the fuses (20 radio and 7.5 Acc in cabin) and 15 in under hood. all check good. Is there an in line or in unit fuse i missed, or do these units go bad? I thought I could hear something happening with the CD changer when I switched off the ignition, but no radio, lights, display. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a question: I purchased an ‘08 RTL, no nav with a non siriusXM aftermarket radio, and the dealer gave me the original. i took out the aftermarket, installed the original, and now nothing. Checked the fuses

(20 radio and 7.5 Acc in cabin) and 15 in under hood. all check good. Is there an in line or in unit fuse i missed, or do these units go bad? I thought I could hear something happening with the CD changer when I switched off the ignition, but no radio, lights, display. Any help appreciated.
I noted you said the fuses were not bad. But you didn't say if or how you checked to validate that the radio fuses were good. May I suggest you purchase a pack of fuses and replace all despite the fact that they "appear" good. I've seen too many times while installing a new Navi , entertainment Radio, that fuses "Looked" good but were not. They don't always break in the spring and glass enclosures.

Let me know what you discover because many of us have the older G1 , FM 6-disc changer, with Sirius connect available as we replace them for these trouble-making Navi Systems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I checked the fuses with a tester. I then validated the replacements with the tester before I put them in. Any idea where to go next?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I checked the fuses with a tester. I then validated the replacements with the tester before I put them in. Any idea where to go next?
I was going to get a voltage tester to validate the power was getting to the HU. Or taking it to an audio #hop. I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,605 Posts
Ok, I also have an 08 RTL without nav and my OEM radio will not work as long as the panel light roller switch is all the way to the bright setting. Roll it down a bit and the radio comes back on. The dealer changed out that switch and the big headlight switch and it made no difference. They say it is a circuit in the OEM radio, that is the problem. I have been putting up with this little quirk for over a year now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I also have an 08 RTL without nav and my OEM radio will not work as long as the panel light roller switch is all the way to the bright setting. Roll it down a bit and the radio comes back on. The dealer changed out that switch and the big headlight switch and it made no difference. They say it is a circuit in the OEM radio, that is the problem. I have been putting up with this little quirk for over a year now.
right now i have the dash panel off, again. guess I’ll put it all back together and try that. thanks for the heads up. curious - was it always like that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
right now i have the dash panel off, again. guess I’ll put it all back together and try that. thanks for the heads up. curious - was it always like that?
i verified i have voltage to both the intermittent and constant power leads (2 and10) in the connector. rolled down the roller switch after putting it all back together. still nothing. guess i’m looking at purchasing a new HU. It was too much to expect the previous owner put the aftermarket in just for bluetooth. Hope that puts sound back in the cab. thanks for the help everyone. will post an update after install of new unit complete

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Bought RTL new in 08. Radio went wonky in 2019. Putting up with the inconvenience for over a year. Got 10 good years out of it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
just seems like a honda radio should last at least as long as truck
Well, it works, you just have to make it work the way it wants. You'd think after listening to it for just nearly 325,000 miles it should keep on going for a million.

·
Registered
544 Posts
just seems like a honda radio should last at least as long as truck
You are way better off with an aftermarket HU these days anyway. Even with the G2s, the headunits are basically crap. I swapped out my HU with only 500 miles on the truck. Not too difficult, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Actually, it would be much easier to do it a second time since I already learned all the tricks. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are way better off with an aftermarket HU these days anyway. Even with the G2s, the headunits are basically crap. I swapped out my HU with only 500 miles on the truck. Not too difficult, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Actually, it would be much easier to do it a second time since I already learned all the tricks. :)
v*

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks to everyone who helped me on this quest. turns out all fuses were good (yes, I pulled, tested, and replaced every accessible fuse in the truck!). The OEM head unit was bad. I purchased an aftermarket Kenwood DDX396 touchscreen, installed the aftermarket siriusxm antenna and receiver, and have great reception in all modes, bluetooth that actually works, and couldn’t be more pleased. Again,thanks to you each!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts