Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Were there a lot of spots or just a few? Were they mostly on the glass and chrome-colored pieces or on the sheet metal as well?

Pics maybe?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to get off easy here. OK here is what I did. I used the system on the entire car and left the tailgate alone to dry. I really did not want spots all over the whole car if it did not work. It looked like you washed the truck regularly and then let it dry. Basically useless. The only nice feature is that you can wash the entire vehicle without a bucket. It has a soap and a drying agent attached to the gun.

http://www.rainx.com/BB/default.htm

·
Registered
218 Posts
I get the same polka dot effect from the Mr. Clean setup and I'm pumping softened water through it! I still have to use a wipe-down with Zaino Z-6. That only takes a couple of minutes but the final results are worth it. As far as Rainex on the windows is concerned, I hate it, hate it, hate it. I have a devil of a time getting the residue off. The only thing that seems to get it is Z-6 again. I can't say enough good things about Zaino products.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rain-X Auto Dry Report - Spots

I had the same spotting results with the Rain-X Auto Dry product.
Nice idea but very poor results requiring drying.

Rather disappointing since their product for the exterior windows works very well. However, I agree that it requires alot of polishing to eliminate smearing. The use of microfiber towels may simplify the application ... I will see.

I now use the Mr Clean water filter for my final rinse after washing.
I have stopped using the Mr Clean detergent ... it contains "surfacants" that by design strip off all previous wax.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Rain-X Auto Dry Report - Spots

JimVickers said:
I have stopped using the Mr Clean detergent ... it contains "surfacants" that by design strip off all previous wax.
I do have a question, If it strips off all wax, then how come it beads like a fresh wax job, the next time it rains? Wouldn't the finish be flat, and have no water retention? Here is what their website says: (See FAQ's)

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/autodry_carwash.pdf

A Note to the Naysayers:
"Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash does not strip wax. Mr. Clean AutoDry doesn't leave behind a film, just a thin, temporary layer of the Dry Rinse Polymer molecules, which are replenished each time the car gets washed. These do not strip the wax, or harm the paint or clearcoat in any way."

Are they lieing to their customers? Are you telling me that all my "Mr. Protector" protectant is now gone? and I have ruined my vehicle by using The Mr. Clean System? :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mr Clean AutoDry Carwash

I like the spot free results obtained from the Mr Clean AutoDry carwash system. Rinsing the surface with de-ionized water achieves this result.

I have read all the information that comes with this product.
However, my experience with advertised products is "let the buyer beware" rules. This is why contact with other users is beneficial ... :).

Why are water beads not forming after I rinse? Does this strip wax?
"Mr Clean AutoDry Carwash does not strip wax. The sheeting action of the Dry Rinse Polymer works with the Mr Clean AutoDry Filter so that a thin layer of de-ionized water is left on the surface, which will quickly evaporate, leaving a spot-free result. Next time it rains, the beads will be back!"

My observation has been (using Meguiar's Gold Class Waxes) ...
Prior to applying the Mr Clean AutoDry Soap water is beading on the surface.
After completing the Mr Clean AutoDry filtered rinse water is not beading.
Next time water is applied to the surface water beading is negligible.

I don't think the Mr Clean product harms the surface, but I am concerned with losing the water beading action originally on the surface ... :confused:.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I suggest everyone read the Mr.Clean site information. The system is designed to work with the soap and the filter. You will get undetermined results by not following the directions.

It will appear that your wax has totally disappeared when using the system, this is by design, but when it rains you will see that your wax has not been stripped, and beads just as before. The site cautions you to this point, because it is totally different from anything people have seen in the past when washing cars, and that would be a logical conclusion for a new user.

I wash the (Black) Ridgeline, pull it in the garage, and come out to a spot free car the next morning. If you feel like hand toweling, then feel free to do that, perhaps thats were the wax is being lost? If so, time to get some better wax. I don't think it's the Mr. Clean System stripping your wax away.

I swear by this system as does many of the Car magazines, and Bike magazines. The only time I have adverse affects is when the filter gets old, or you not use the recommended soap, as they work in combination to make the water strip off cleanly. If you don't wash and rinse in sections, or let the product dry on before final rinse, or wash in the sun, and not follow instructions, it will give you unsatisfactory results! I bet those of you with softeners, or extremely hard water may also find problems, or at least have to change the filter more frequently. My friend has a softener, and it does a poor job for him. So maybe it's not for everyone, but it sure saves me time and gives excellent results where I live. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used this system it worked but the spray area is small and it took for ever to do my Titan, maybe I should try it again on the smaller Ridgeline. I did not like having to buy filters and soap it got to be a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts