Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing so good driving the RL. I was proud how well I was adapting to driving a much larger vehicle then what I'm used to. Well untill yesterday that is,when I went to change into the right hand lane. I did signal and check mirrors and turn my head and I saw no one. Then I promptly Ran OF ALL THINGS a little red civic almost clean off the road. UGGH! I felt terrible. Why did have to be a Honda :(

My brother is suggesting some blind spot mirrors,the stick on kind.
Is there a certain brand or type that is better then another?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try this for a couple of days first. It is the correct way to adjust your mirrors.

Driver's side rear view mirror should be adjusted by placing your head against the driver's door window. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the right side.
Passenger side rear view mirror sould be adjusted by leaning towards the middle of the vehicle. Adjust the mirror so that you just see the side of your truck in the left side.

It will take some getting used to, but trust me, your field of rearward vision has just DRAMATICALLY improved. In essence the side mirrors are now looking into your blind spot. You will notice that as a vehicle leaves your field of view in the rear view mirror it will appear in your side rear view mirrors. As the vehicle leaves the field of view of your side rear view mirrors, it will enter your peripherial vision. If you have decreased peripherial vision, you will just have to turn your head slightly to the side instead of careening your neck.

Try it, you'll like it!

L

·
0 Posts
Wow..at last you are both alright.
I am an old truck driver/school bus driver and a mirror driver. I sit in my seat comfortable and slightly turn my head towards the drivers side mirror. I adjust the mirror outward just until the side of the truck is out of view but I know it's right there. The same for the other side.
All suggestions you get from this forum will be good ones it's just a matter of your preference. With over 4 trips around the world in miles so far and no accidents caused by me, something is working. Just take your time and be sure. I check rear view mirror very seldom but its a good habit to get into if you are not use to driving this type of vehicle.
I'm glad you are alright.
J.C. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jlannoo said:
I was doing so good driving the RL. I was proud how well I was adapting to driving a much larger vehicle then what I'm used to. Well untill yesterday that is,when I went to change into the right hand lane. I did signal and check mirrors and turn my head and I saw no one. Then I promptly Ran OF ALL THINGS a little red civic almost clean off the road. UGGH! I felt terrible. Why did have to be a Honda :(

My brother is suggesting some blind spot mirrors,the stick on kind.
Is there a certain brand or type that is better then another?
Here is a little trick I learned a long time ago: Adjust inside rear view mirror so you are getting the fullest and centered view to the rear. Now the trick is to adjust both your outside mirrors so that they pick up sight of the vehicle to your right (or left) just as you are loosing sight of it from the inside mirror. You'll also find out that now you will be picking up the vehicle on your perepheral vision as you are loosing sight of the car from your outside mirrors. With your mirrors adjusted so, you'll realize that before changing lanes, you can scan first the inside mirror to look for cars to the right or left, then switch to the outside mirror and lastly to consciously register any sight on your perepheral. Once you get used to scanning like this, it will help you decide the best course of action in case of an emergency manuever without turning your head. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Wow, now I know I'm a really slow typer!! By the time I started typing my response above, Nevadagarth and LadyRidge posted similar responses in the span of 7 minutes!!! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those suggestions above on use of the side mirrors are correct. It's amazing how few people know that the side mirrors are suppossed to show the driver something other than what's shown in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tex........you are not slow. I cut and pasted mine from a post I did on another subject about the blind spots.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might try removing the back seat head rests too. I did that and found it to be a huge improvement in visibility when driving and backing up. They pop out easily.

·
Registered
311 Posts
kd4z said:
You might try removing the back seat head rests too. I did that and found it to be a huge improvement in visibility when driving and backing up. They pop out easily.
Ah, thanks for reminding me. I was going to do that a while ago but usually just hop in the truck and drive, thereby forgetting all about it. Off to the driveway I go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those round convex mirrors are no good. 3/4's of the mirror is reflecting UP, DOWN or the side of your Ridge. You're basically only using a pie shaped wedge of it.

They make a rectangular (sorta-convex) angled mirror that precisely aims your view right at your blind spot. $1.88 at Auto-Zone.

Make sure you put it on the right way...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the suggestions :) You will be happy to know I didnt run anyone off the road today.......maybe tommorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Crispy said:
Those round convex mirrors are no good. 3/4's of the mirror is reflecting UP, DOWN or the side of your Ridge. You're basically only using a pie shaped wedge of it.

They make a rectangular (sorta-convex) angled mirror that precisely aims your view right at your blind spot. $1.88 at Auto-Zone.

Make sure you put it on the right way...
Oh really. :rolleyes: I've been using them for two months with very good results. Bumper to bumper, Four lanes of traffic on the Interstate and able to clear my blind spot. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Same here Bama. Have used them for over 10 yrs on 3 trucks but now I know how wrong I was thanks to Crispy. :rolleyes: Hope I have them on the right way... ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BamaRidge said:
Oh really. :rolleyes: I've been using them for two months with very good results. Bumper to bumper, Four lanes of traffic on the Interstate and able to clear my blind spot. Works for me.
arteegee said:
Same here Bama. Have used them for over 10 yrs on 3 trucks but now I know how wrong I was thanks to Crispy. :rolleyes: Hope I have them on the right way... ;)
He was just giving His opinion. It would be boring if We all agreed on everything. :D

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
ladyridge said:
Wow..at last you are both alright.
I am an old truck driver/school bus driver and a mirror driver. I sit in my seat comfortable and slightly turn my head towards the drivers side mirror. I adjust the mirror outward just until the side of the truck is out of view but I know it's right there. The same for the other side.
All suggestions you get from this forum will be good ones it's just a matter of your preference. With over 4 trips around the world in miles so far and no accidents caused by me, something is working. Just take your time and be sure. I check rear view mirror very seldom but its a good habit to get into if you are not use to driving this type of vehicle.
I'm glad you are alright.
J.C. :)
I agree with Ladyridge! I adjusted my mirros the same way so I slight turn of my head and I can see that vehicle once it has left the view of my rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Crispy said:
3/4's of the mirror is reflecting UP, DOWN or the side of your Ridge. You're basically only using a pie shaped wedge of it.

Glad they work for you guys. Fact is... a mirror of that shape wastes 80% of its surface area reflecting the sky, the ground, your Ridge.

If you can see the blindspot with the one little pie shaped section that is angled properly, good for you.

I've had many of them too. But then SCIENCE came along and improved the shape.

Adapt fellows... ADAPT.

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts