Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on the ignition switch there is a lot of noise from the relays under the dash. The speedo and the tach jump until all is finished. Once the relays all energize (I think) every thing is normal. If I don't turn the ignition completely off when the switch is turned on all is normal and no noise. It always starts and runs normal. More annoying than problematic but I wonder what may happen if it fails?
Any one have a similar problem ?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
These trucks are very sensitive to battery variance. If you've changed it recently, I'd take it to either an auto electric shop or an auto parts store with battery testing, charging testing equipment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have the battery load tested in the morning, will post results. Thanks for the suggestions. I also might try to turn the key on with battery charger on and see if the higher voltage helps.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
1. I would suggest replacing the battery without regard to the results of a load test. In fact, I wouldn't even worry about a load test.

2. I would NOT suggest turning the key on while a battery charger is connected. In fact, it's best to have the vehicle disconnected from the battery while a charger is connected. Voltage spikes and AC ripple from some chargers can damage the vehicle's electronics. Not likely, but still a possibility.

You may have other problems, but the symptoms you describe are typical of what a Honda does when the battery has failed or is about to fail. Surely you're not on the original battery in your '06. A 10 year-old Ridgeline would typically be on its 4th or 5th battery by now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Battery less than 1 year old, checks good with load test ??
Is there a instrument controller behind the cluster that could make the relays rattle.
All the gauges , speedo and tach vibrate as the relays chatter and when they stop all is normal until the switch is turned of and back on the next time I need the truck

After further investigation I believe the stepper motors in the instrument cluster are the cause of the problem of the result of another problem.
Not sure but will keep checking and report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts