Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Spare Tire foam insert... trailer hitch options?

Picked up our RTL-E two days ago. I was reviewing the things I wanted to move from the crew cab of my traded-in F150, to the 'trunk' of the RL.

I come to my existing (removable) trailer hitch/ball assembly, locking pin, etc.,. In looking where to store my hitch parts I notice there are cut outs in the foam insert for the RL spare tire that... although they will not fit my existing trailer hitch assembly because it is several inches too long... they (the foam cutouts) look suspiciously like they might be designed to fit a shorter trailer hitch/ball and locking pin.

Does anyone know if the official Honda accessory trailer hitch parts are designed to fit into the RL spare tire foam cutouts? That would be a nice place to keep them, if so. Hate to pay for something I already have, but I like the idea of consolidated storage if that is a possibility.

· Registered
1,849 Posts

Someone posted a picture of the foam insert. I thought his jack etc was missing. Where do they store the jack on the ridge if the blank spaces are meant for the towing...

· Registered
349 Posts

Yes, the Honda hitch kit fits perfectly in the foam insert with the spare tire

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/ridgeline/2017/towingkit.pdf

Picked up our RTL-E two days ago. I was reviewing the things I wanted to move from the crew cab of my traded-in F150, to the 'trunk' of the RL.

I come to my existing (removable) trailer hitch/ball assembly, locking pin, etc.,. In looking where to store my hitch parts I notice there are cut outs in the foam insert for the RL spare tire that... although they will not fit my existing trailer hitch assembly because it is several inches too long... they (the foam cutouts) look suspiciously like they might be designed to fit a shorter trailer hitch/ball and locking pin.

Does anyone know if the official Honda accessory trailer hitch parts are designed to fit into the RL spare tire foam cutouts? That would be a nice place to keep them, if so. Hate to pay for something I already have, but I like the idea of consolidated storage if that is a possibility.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
784 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts

That would be a nice option but I need a hitch that drops the ball lower so it doesn't look like that storage would work for me. The RL sits higher than the Pilot or my CRV hitch so I am going to need one with a greater drop from level.

I did get a converter for the round 7 pin power connector to fit my 4 pin trailer electric light connector. The connector is stored wrapped in bubblewrap inside the bed power outlet door. That works well. I've filled in the space are und the spare tire with a couple small first aid kits.

I always know in advance when I will be pulling one of my motorcycle trailers so I leave the hitch ball receivers at home with he trailers.

· Registered
387 Posts

· Registered
3,228 Posts

What exactly does the special Honda gasoline funnel do that an ordinary funnel can't do to enable you to add gas to the tank from a gas fuel container? Is it just the longer funnel neck that opens an internal flap or something else inside the capless filler neck? Other than the locking gas door, does this capless system thwart gasoline theft or deter malicious vandalism (someone putting a harmful substance into your tank)? I have always enjoyed the confidence of a locking gas cap when leaving my truck at a trailhead overnight or longer. I do not have as much faith in a flimsy "locking" filler door.

· Registered
169 Posts

What exactly does the special Honda gasoline funnel do that an ordinary funnel can't do to enable you to add gas to the tank from a gas fuel container? Is it just the longer funnel neck that opens an internal flap or something else inside the capless filler neck? Other than the locking gas door, does this capless system thwart gasoline theft or deter malicious vandalism (someone putting a harmful substance into your tank)? I have always enjoyed the confidence of a locking gas cap when leaving my truck at a trailhead overnight or longer. I do not have as much faith in a flimsy "locking" filler door.
No, nothing special with the funnel. I believe you can use any funnel you want that will fit. Honda just happened to include one with the truck. You must trust the locking door to detour theft and vandalism. The locking door is usually enough to sway thieves away from the vehicle. Never had any issues with any of my cars.

· Registered
349 Posts

It should at least be illegal to back the hitch over a sidewalk where people can walk into to it. Two inconsiderate jerks parked that way at Lowes yesterday and we almost couldn't get by. If my grandson had hurt himself on the hitch there would have been some consequences for either the driver or the truck.

Great info! That looks very tidy.

Btw, in some states it is illegal to leave the receiver in the hitch when NOT towing. This system makes it easy to stow everything away neatly.

· Registered
90 Posts

Cym, is that your hitch? I was thinking I'd like to get a less expensive version of the $100 Honda kit, but don't know if I know how to judge whether it'll fit the foam insert. If that's yours, would you mind measuring the length of the square tube that fits into the receiver? TIA!

· Registered
296 Posts

It should at least be illegal to back the hitch over a sidewalk where people can walk into to it. Two inconsiderate jerks parked that way at Lowes yesterday and we almost couldn't get by. If my grandson had hurt himself on the hitch there would have been some consequences for either the driver or the truck.
A. It should be illegal for you to NOT pay attention to your surroundings?

B. Give me some examples of your "consequences" for the driver or truck.

· Registered
169 Posts

Cym, is that your hitch? I was thinking I'd like to get a less expensive version of the $100 Honda kit, but don't know if I know how to judge whether it'll fit the foam insert. If that's yours, would you mind measuring the length of the square tube that fits into the receiver? TIA!
Yup, that is mine. I'll go put a ruler next to it during my break for some measurements.

· Registered
970 Posts

Yup, and I happened to keep my G1 hitch. Totally forgot about it and the dealer did not ask, they got the rubber receiver plug, which I had to order.

The G1 hitch fits in there nicely as well.

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts

Yup, and I happened to keep my G1 hitch. Totally forgot about it and the dealer did not ask, they got the rubber receiver plug, which I had to order.

The G1 hitch fits in there nicely as well.
The rubber plug isn't a tight fit so make sure you use some tape to make it a snug fit.

· Registered
169 Posts

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.