Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right area.

I am planning on installing a backup camera once the snow melts. I just installed a Kenwood touch screen stereo as my Christmas present to my truck. I am deciding if I want to run a video/power wire from the front to back or go a wireless route either 2.4/900mhz.

Here is my question if I go wireless I am not too keen on powering a camera and wireless transmitter off the reverse circuit so is there anywhere to get a 12v source in the rear that I could then switch the camera with a relay?

A couple of negatives would be wireless for one, and I was thinking of putting a 2-way switch in that would allow me to turn the camera on whenever by putting 12v to the feed to head unit trigger wire and camera.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Wireless would be the easiest route and you could use power for camera off any ignition switched 12v power supply back there...which would probably only be present in the towing harness? You couldnt supply power off the reverse circuit because it is not always on. Unless the camera requires you to have a signal wire to the camera not the headunit.

Idk how the wireless cameras work but I believe it is switched on from a signal wire inside the cab. The actual camera receives the signal from the transmitter/headunit in the cab to turn on.

Running the camera feed wouldnt be super hard being the panels inside the bed just unbolt...

If you post what camera you are looking at I could give a lil more help.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was thinking the towing harness would be a decent source, but I am not sure with wireless does it have to be always on or can you power it, then wait for it to connect (might take too long)
I also wouldn't want to pull that much off the reverse circuit hence the relay.
I haven't picked a camera, but plan on doing the tailgate handle one.
And the head unit switches to the camera when it receives 12v from typically the reverse wire (green? wire lower driver kick panel)

I will probably end up going wired as I want to do the tailgate lock and figure out something for my leer cap too and might as well do all this while it's off.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
I was thinking the towing harness would be a decent source, but I am not sure with wireless does it have to be always on or can you power it, then wait for it to connect (might take too long)
I also wouldn't want to pull that much off the reverse circuit hence the relay.
I haven't picked a camera, but plan on doing the tailgate handle one.
And the head unit switches to the camera when it receives 12v from typically the reverse wire (green? wire lower driver kick panel)

I will probably end up going wired as I want to do the tailgate lock and figure out something for my leer cap too and might as well do all this while it's off.
However the wireless camera would need to be connected would ultimately determine how to connect it in the rear haha.

Going wired wouldnt be to hard. I have no idea how you would go from tail gate to body though with how it works....

These might help

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30277

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30317

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I'd suggest you take a look at how the OEM camera kit (accessories item) is wired. You can see the installation instruction at handa.com. It's a bit of work removing bed panels & some interior molding, but worth the effort if you don't mind doing it.
That should give you some ideas on how to wire your camera as well, I should think.

You can also find some great install videos here on the forum by doing a search (both OEM & some aftermarket types).

Good Luck & Happy Modding !

· Registered
2,725 Posts
If powering the camera off the rear lights, make sure you add a small resistor to act as a voltage regulator. Some cameras are more sensitive Han others to the voltage spike they experience.

· Registered
791 Posts
What I did for mine was wired them to the license plate lights, so whenever I want to turn on the camera all I have to do is switch on the running lights and I got power, other than that it is always off until I turn on the lights.

My install link is in the bottom signature.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the links and info. The more I contemplate it I am probably just going to go wired and after driving so far this winter with the cap I might be installing a rear defroster grid on it as it never seems to clean off. So I would need to run some wires from front to back anyways.

Here is the website that sells the grids: https://www.frostfighter.com/pickup-truck-rear-cap-topper-window-defrosters.htm

I just need to look into the "frostfighter" reviews and maybe a post of someone who actually installed one.

So if I do this then might as well run a video cable with the bundle and a couple extra wires too for future.

I got a few months to think about it as its still pretty cold here!

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Several threads I've read on Wired vs Wireless, is Image quality suffers with the wireless compression and if your going to be in there I fully agree just get in there and do it.

It would also be a good time to give a good visual inspection with the bed panels off and do any preventative rust maintenance. OhSix, did some wiring and cleaning while having the bed panels off, there are some nice images in this THREAD, Check it out...

I've installed a defroster (years ago), because the factory one went when I replaced the window, and the replacement window came with out it. I thought I'd be fine, 1 winter and I decided it was worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.