Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thinking of throwing a set of air bags in the rear coils so when your towing a loaded trailer the rear doesnt sag as much?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
With a 400 tongue load, my drop is 1 3/8" with no loss of ride quality.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anybody out there installed or even thought about installing load levelling air bags on a Ridge? The reason I'm asking is that I typically haul three motorcycles in the bed, have two or three people and two dogs in the cab, plus our 19' travel trailer. All the weights have been carefully calculated, and are within the capacities, but the load in the bed together with the trailer tongue weight tends to squat the truck pretty good. It has never caused a problem, the truck handles everything fine, the trailer runs straight and true, but I'd feel better if the truck sat more level. I had a pair of bags on a Dodge, and they helped a lot, but I've not seen them for the Ridge. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Firestone makes the Coil-Rite setup for both t he Odyssey and the Passport, I wonder if it would fit the Ridge? This type fits into the coil spring, so if the inner diameter of the spring is close, it might work out. Anybody know what the dimensions are for all these vehicles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was wondering if any one has used the air bag kits from " air bagit". www.airbagit.com

there are a few posts around about sagging rear ends and requsts for a stiffer spring, strut etc. to help with leveling when pulling or with load.

i came across this company- anyone ever use them ? results ? or any other options to help the rear end in the ridge ?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Thanks for that link. This is the first place that I have seen with kits specifically for the Ridgeline.

http://www.airbagit.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ridgeline

It is odd that they do not have a rear-only kit listed for 2008 or newer. Maybe it's an oversight. If the listings are correct, I'd have to pay over $2000 just to get rear levelling on my 2009. No thanks!

Also odd is that their full kit is more than the sum of the prices of the front and rear kits!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
How would air bags help your towing?
The only benefit I can imagine would be to level the truck if your tongue weight is really heavy. That would not influence the actual tow limits or tow performance of the truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How would air bags help your towing?
The only benefit I can imagine would be to level the truck if your tongue weight is really heavy. That would not influence the actual tow limits or tow performance of the truck.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I just mean to reduce sag on a heavy tongue weight. I didn't mean performance wise.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have a custom built four wheel air bag system that back in 2006 cost nearly $12,000 to design, build and install. Mine was built for show and while it does help when I'm towing my trailer, it's not something I'd suggest for just helping adjust rear end sag. If you've got that much hitch sag, you might want to consider changing how your tailer is loaded to even out the load if possible.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hmmm, I have 430# on the ball, full size spare, and another 100#s of generator/misc stuff in the trunk and only get about 1 1/2" of "sag". I don't think thats enough to warrant screwing with the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I asked this a couple of years ago, and never got an answer, so I am asking it again. I am a Scuba instructor and carry a boatload (lit) of tanks in the back. Unfortunately, my tail is sagging and the camber is off on the rear tires. I have replace the springs once already when I broke one on a goat trail in Utah. I want to raise the rear by at least an inch or an inch and a half. This could be done with an insert or, what a concept: air shocks. Anyone heard of these yet for our beloved Ridgelines?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts